Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Last time the Twins had a brawl on the field

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thetank

thetank

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:47 AM

When was the last time the Twins had a bench clearing brawl on the field? I was reading about the Boswell/Billy Martin fight in 1969 in which Boswell received stitches in his face from his manager outside a bar.

#2 benchwarmerjim

benchwarmerjim

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:30 AM

When Delmon Young went after Jose Mijares.

#3 glanzer

glanzer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

The last one that I can recall was in 1999 in Toronto when Paul Spoljaric threw at Cristian Guzman's head: http://articles.lati.../sports/sp-5746 I have seen a few bench-clearing "altercations" since then without real punches thrown. The Torii Hunter debacle in Cleveland 10 years ago (throwing the ball at the pitcher) jumps to mind as another possibility but I don't seem to remember it going much further than that.

#4 whydidnt

whydidnt

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

There was one back in '78 between the Angels and Twins, too. In my mind I always thought there was one between the Twins and White Sox a few years back when they always seemed to be competing for the division. I think my mind is playing tricks on me though, probably just a couple of pitchers tossed for throwing at/near batters.

#5 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

I think there was one in 1987 where Sal Butera got knocked out but I forget who it was with

#6 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

I think they had one in Milwaukee in 87.