Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Berardino: Johnson's Star is Rising Again

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,189 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

http://www.twincitie...len-star-rising

Mike Berardino wrote a terrific article on lefty Kris Johnson who could compete for a back-of-the-rotation role or a bullpen role with the Minnesota Twins. Once a top prospect of the Red Sox, he was released and spent a year in independent ball, playing for Rochester AAA hitting coach Tim Doherty.

Check out the well-done article.

#2 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:59 PM

Good read. Geez, the Twins have some crazy depth for pitching now as opposed to recent years. Props to the front office for getting aggressive stacking up the arms.

#3 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:38 PM

At this point, I would lové to give him a shot in the pen if someone would take Duensing off our hands. Johnson and Thielbar in the same pen would certainly be a great story

#4 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:27 AM

The depth may be "crazy" but is it even "decent"? I for one certainly do not think so.

#5 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:35 AM

The depth may be "crazy" but is it even "decent"? I for one certainly do not think so.

I understand your frustration, but decent depth doesn't come out of a microwave. The Morneau for Johnson deal--and the patience to make it happen--is one example of the Twins' commitment to build quality and depth. Berardino's article helped me see that the Twins saw their man, and worked a deal with the Pirates to make it happen, over time. There are many other examples over the past two years:

Signing free agents Nolasco and Hughes this offseason
Trading Span and Revere for Alex Meyer, Vance Worley, and Trevor May.
Drafting Kohl Stewart, JO Berrios, Ryan Eades, Stephen Gonslaves, etc...
Spending $500k on Lewis Thorpe as an international free agent.

All the same, I feel your pain, man. This rebuilding takes time.

Edited by Don't Feed the Greed Guy, 08 March 2014 - 09:25 AM.
their, not there

#6 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

Is this building comparable to what other good teams are doing I ask. We'll not know that for quite some time in my estimation, who agrees or disagrees with my premise?

#7 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:25 PM

Is this building comparable to what other good teams are doing I ask. We'll not know that for quite some time in my estimation, who agrees or disagrees with my premise?

If your premise is that it will take time to determine whether the Twins' moves have been effective, then I agree.

It will make a great story (and make the FO look great) if Johnson pans out. I will be rooting for him.

#8 Zephrin

Zephrin

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:19 AM

As bad as the Twins pitching has been of late, an off-season where we have seemingly raised the floor is encouraging. Last year, Pedro Hernandez, Vance Worley, Cole de Vries, Liam Hendricks and PJ Walters combined to start 40 games. Walters 5.95 ERA was the best of the lot.

This year's Twins should be able to shave at least a run off the ERA off those starts - and hopefully a bit more than that. That will be stabilizing for a still mediocre team as well as less taxing on what was already a decent bullpen. AL playoff teams gave up between 625 and 662 runs last year vs. the Twins 788. Our pitching isn't 125 runs better this year, so we do still need to raise the ceiling as well, but it is probably 50+ runs better.

#9 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:57 AM

........ I feel your pain, man. This rebuilding takes time.

It took the Red Sox all of 1 year. I guess the difference was the Red Sox did it with bona fide major league baseball players and not prospects.

Edited by h2oface, 09 March 2014 - 02:01 AM.

#10 zchrz

zchrz

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:18 AM

They aren't huge splashes but I really like the additions of Johnson, Gilmartin, and Raley. The LH starter pool pretty much started and ended with Diamond and he is a major question mark on multiple levels. Raley may not stick for long being a rule 5 guy but Johnson and Gilmartin provide some badly need LH potential and both are former first rounders and cost only players with minimal trade value to acquire.
"Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

#11 stringer bell

stringer bell

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:13 AM

Raley is not a Rule 5 guy. He was claimed when the Cubs designated him in order to outright him off their 40-man roster.

#12 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:43 AM

[quote name='h2oface']It took the Red Sox all of 1 year. I guess the difference was the Red Sox did it with bona fide major league baseball players and not prospects.[/QUOTE

The team got rid of Valentine, the source of the dysfunction. I mean a team that manages to lose with a starting rotation of Buchholz, Lester and Doubont is far different than a team with Walters Hendiks Diamond and Deduno

#13 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:56 AM

It took the Red Sox all of 1 year. I guess the difference was the Red Sox did it with bona fide major league baseball players and not prospects.

Yes, but the Red Sox rotation already had John Lester and John Lackey. They bought Ryan Dempster, Jake Peavy, and Koji Uehara for $30 Million in 2013, but also relied on young arms that came up through their system in time for 2013, guys like Felix Doubont and Brandon Workman.

The Twins will spend $20 million in 2014 on Phil Hughes and Ricky Nolasco. Will it be enough? Probably not. But then again, our 2013 rotation didn't have a Lester or a Lackey.

#14 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

I wouldn't call what the Red Sox did rebuilding. They already had the foundation. They just needed to add a few pieces (and subtract the worst manager in baseball). Rebuilding starts with the foundation. That takes time.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#15 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

The Red Sox used quite a few prospects last year in Bogaerts, Middlebrooks, Iglesias, Bradley Jr., Webster and De La Rosa.

The Twins will hopefully be getting production from their prospects soon. However, I don't know that I'd consider Johnson or Raley much of a prospect.

#16 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:43 AM

When? They have zero prospects likely to make the roster this year. After losing 90+ games for three years, they will graduate zero guys. And, many of you are predicting Gibson, Hicks, and Arcia will be sent down. Meaning zero of the prospects they called up last year will start here. If your entire strategy is build from within, you might want to actually pull that off....
Lighten up Francis....

#17 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

When? They have zero prospects likely to make the roster this year. After losing 90+ games for three years, they will graduate zero guys. And, many of you are predicting Gibson, Hicks, and Arcia will be sent down. Meaning zero of the prospects they called up last year will start here. If your entire strategy is build from within, you might want to actually pull that off....

What? Where does this come from? Pinto, Meyer, May, and Santana are all in the mix for graduation this year to go along with Hicks, Arcia and Gibson from last year's class. Sano would be in that first group if not for the injury.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#18 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

To start the year, many of you are saying not one of those will be on the roster. Everyone told me last year to mellow out, this year they'd be competitive and have guys up from last year and this year. Now we are all saying, well, wait another "at least a few months" as Bonnes put it. And that they won't be close to competitive next year, but man, wait until 2016......for those of you that LOVE the Twins and MLB, that might work. For those of us that like MLB, we'll spend our money and time elsewhere, again, this year.
Lighten up Francis....

#19 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:06 AM

I don't see any need to panic if Gibson, Hicks, Pinto, or even in the unlikely event Arcia, spend a fews weeks in the minors. All are well positioned to make the opening day roster come 2015, where they will probably be joined by at least Buxton and Meyer. I don't see where our favorite team is behind schedule.

#20 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

How do the Twins stack up in this regard as compared to other MLB teams? I think they are behind, convince me they are on an even keel or even ahead of other teams.

#21 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

I guess it depends on your schedule, right? All the comments this year read just like the ones last year "just wait until next year".
Lighten up Francis....

#22 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

The 91 Twins made me a baseball lover. The mid 90s tested that and it persists still.

That does not, however, lead me to the notion that Johnson is "crazy depth. It doesn't mKe me slap lipstick on the pig that many of the guys a year ago we were realistically projecting to be full time contributors are likely not to break camp with the team. Or the disappointment in the developments with Rosario and Sano.

Love doesn't entail slapping a blindfold on to ignore the flaws. It's hard as a diehard Twins fan to stare at the pile of dead-end garbage this roster looks to be the first two months and feel excited.

#23 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

I guess it depends on your schedule, right? All the comments this year read just like the ones last year "just wait until next year".

IMO knowledge of baseball is a more important variable.

#24 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

The 91 Twins made me a baseball lover. The mid 90s tested that and it persists still.

That does not, however, lead me to the notion that Johnson is "crazy depth. It doesn't mKe me slap lipstick on the pig that many of the guys a year ago we were realistically projecting to be full time contributors are likely not to break camp with the team. Or the disappointment in the developments with Rosario and Sano.

Love doesn't entail slapping a blindfold on to ignore the flaws. It's hard as a diehard Twins fan to stare at the pile of dead-end garbage this roster looks to be the first two months and feel excited.

One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

#25 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

IMO knowledge of baseball is a more important variable.

No idea what this means. Are you suggesting it takes some kind of knowledge that others don't have to lay out a timeline? Or that as the timeline moves back a year, that it is wrong to question it? Or what?
Lighten up Francis....

#26 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:40 PM

Unfortunately yes.....ours. I'm sure you will be more than happy to discard these "treasures" with the rest of us when (if) our young talent develops.

#27 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

^^^TheLeviathan - glad to see you put "if" in your statement about development, I think way too many posters assume "when". In other words they are swallowing the Pohlad Kool-Aid just as badly as some of the journalists are and we assuredly know which ones are doing that.

#28 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

Especially if that other man "treasures" a roster replete with waiver-wire castoffs, career dead-enders, Indy-league refugees and a gaggle of AAAA bodies and "prospects."

#29 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

No idea what this means. Are you suggesting it takes some kind of knowledge that others don't have to lay out a timeline? Or that as the timeline moves back a year, that it is wrong to question it? Or what?

I think it means that the "parade" allegedly starting in 2015 wasn't written down in ink. 2016, 2017, 2018.....your job as a fan is not to question those with superior knowledge about parade-scheduling.

#30 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,432 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

Let's get back on topic, folks.

This thread isn't about prospects or the front office. This thread is about Kris Johnson.

We'll be handing out infractions and bans if this line of discussion continues.