Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Good Read on Danny Santana

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

Mike Berardino@MikeBerardino 1m
ICYMI, this was my pregame blog on Danny Santana (2 triples, 3 RBI today). #mntwins
http://blogs.twincit...-night-and-day/
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:33 PM

I hope he shows enough to make Florimon an afterthought in short time.

My favorite part:
“I like the kid a lot,” Gardenhire said. “He can fly. As advertised. Short swing. Chops it. He can run, and he can pick it. He’s got a cannon. He’s got all the tools. Now if he can slow the game down enough. He’s got range. He’s got it all. Now it’s just a matter of if he harnesses everything enough to be consistent out there.”

I guess he has all the tools. I know I can't wait to see this guy with a short, choppy swing show off some power!

Or is that not a tool Gardy is familiar with?

#3 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

I hope he shows enough to make Florimon an afterthought in short time.

My favorite part:
“I like the kid a lot,” Gardenhire said. “He can fly. As advertised. Short swing. Chops it. He can run, and he can pick it. He’s got a cannon. He’s got all the tools. Now if he can slow the game down enough. He’s got range. He’s got it all. Now it’s just a matter of if he harnesses everything enough to be consistent out there.”

I guess he has all the tools. I know I can't wait to see this guy with a short, choppy swing show off some power!

Or is that not a tool Gardy is familiar with?

Seems like Gardy really likes the kid.

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:43 PM

Oh and this one:

He really doesn’t walk much and he’s still hitting .300,” Gardenhire said. “That says a lot. You think about it, if he starts walking more, that’s going to raise that (batting average) up. On-base percentage will be a little bit better. But he’s swinger. I don’t mind swingers, but he has to learn to take his walks when he gets them. He’ll get better.”

I'll give him an early season pass, but that one makes it sound like he doesn't exactly know what goes into a BA or OBP, though certainly he does.

#5 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

I hope he shows enough to make Florimon an afterthought in short time.My favorite part: “I like the kid a lot,” Gardenhire said. “He can fly. As advertised. Short swing. Chops it. He can run, and he can pick it. He’s got a cannon. He’s got all the tools. Now if he can slow the game down enough. He’s got range. He’s got it all. Now it’s just a matter of if he harnesses everything enough to be consistent out there.”I guess he has all the tools. I know I can't wait to see this guy with a short, choppy swing show off some power!Or is that not a tool Gardy is familiar with?

There is an organizational rule prohibiting middle infielders from being able to hit.

#6 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

Wellll, there was a reason for Souhan's article in the Tribune this weekend...
But, I need to know--does Santana "get after it"? Maybe "slide into 1st base"? "All of the tools" should include power hitting--but I bet it doesn't in this case. Especially when he "chops it".

#7 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

I can't wait to see him. He sounds a lot like Guzman at the same age. I hope he hits a bit more, though.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#8 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

Oh and this one:

He really doesn’t walk much and he’s still hitting .300,” Gardenhire said. “That says a lot. You think about it, if he starts walking more, that’s going to raise that (batting average) up. On-base percentage will be a little bit better. But he’s swinger. I don’t mind swingers, but he has to learn to take his walks when he gets them. He’ll get better.”

I'll give him an early season pass, but that one makes it sound like he doesn't exactly know what goes into a BA or OBP, though certainly he does.

I think he is saying if he walks more he will get better pitches, which will help us BA as he will get more hits.

#9 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:58 PM

I can't wait to see him. He sounds a lot like Guzman at the same age. I hope he hits a bit more, though.

Hopefully, Guzie could be the poster boy for how speed doesn't always mean you can steal bases. He was thrown out 36% of the time and one of the fastest players around.

#10 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,418 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

I can't wait to see him either. I'm sorry he played in the "away" game.

But 2 doubles, one from each side of the plate sounds good to me. As does 10.6 seconds from home to 3rd (unofficially).

Media guys seem pretty impressed by what they saw (not just by what Twins are telling them).

#11 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

Mike Berardino just tweeted out at least a handful of quotes from Santana after the game. If you aren't following Mike on Twiter, you are missing out.
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#12 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

Guzie had three seasons over 100 OPS+ (although 2 with Wash). I'd take that in a heartbeat. The problem was he also had a bunch in the 70's.

#13 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

Guzie had three seasons over 100 OPS+ (although 2 with Wash). I'd take that in a heartbeat. The problem was he also had a bunch in the 70's.

I long for the days of Guzie at this point.

#14 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

If Santana walks more rather than striking out or hitting weakly his batting average would go up. I think Gardenhire on this exactly knows what goes into the game from the statement.

#15 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

There is an organizational rule prohibiting middle infielders from being able to hit.

When was the last 160 pound power hitter?

#16 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,418 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:08 PM

And here's Berardino's followup after today's game:

http://www.twincitie...hires-attention

#17 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

I can't wait to see him either. I'm sorry he played in the "away" game.

But 2 doubles, one from each side of the plate sounds good to me. As does 10.6 seconds from home to 3rd (unofficially).

Media guys seem pretty impressed by what they saw (not just by what Twins are telling them).

You mean triples, right?

#18 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,418 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

You mean triples, right?

Yes I do.

Thanks.

#19 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:25 PM

erick davis?

#20 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

Not a Floriman hater by any means. In fact, I'm in the camp to have at SS this season for his defense and speed, with hopefully a raise to some degree is both Avg and OB%. While he could regress, a year of experience should play out to at least some degree. If he could hit at the MLB level at the same approximate rate he did in the minors, with accompanying OB improvement, with his defense, he'd actually be an asset overall. But there is still room for improvement at the position no question. And I'm very excited about Santana's potential.

From all reports, especially from those that really matter, he's got everything available to be a very good defensive SS, which is first and foremost in importance. And I am truly not concerned about reported errors in the minors for a couple of reasons. One is that having the hands, range and arm to make plays is still more important than error results at this point. Like any milb payer he is developing. You can teach getting better and more consistent, but you can't teach natural ability or atheticism. And don't forget that with natural progression also brings better playing surfaces as well as better players around him. The second reason for optimism is the history of natural progression at any Inf position, including SS. Even the very best defensive SS have shown higher error totals while being minor leaguers. Very few MLB caliber SS were a wiz from day one. Most displayed mistakes, often attributed to rushing the game around them, when young. Even some of the best MLB SS's had error totals in the teens and low 20's at first before settling down and learning.

I do think

offensive expectations should be tempered somewhat though. I, like everyone else, would absolutely love to see him hit in the .280-.290 range that he's shown the last couple of seasons with a more patient approach that would raise his OB%, coupled with his speed and improved SB results and a little bit of pop he's shown. Possibly with a little more as he physically matures, and hopefully fills out another 10 pounds or so.

However, great defense, the ability to hit some, improve his OB a little as a result, lace some XB hits and improve his SB rate would make him a very valuable asset to the club, exceeding Floriman range. Again, a huge asset, but anything more than that, being able to hit at the top of the order for instance at 1 or 2, would make him all-star caliber. And I don't know that we have that here. How many teams do? Be excited, I am. But temper expectations just a little.

#21 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:30 PM

Following them both from their early years in the organization and into the minors he really is not like Guzman other than fielding and base running. He is a good speedy runner like Guzman. Speed close to Revere, maybe a notch less. Same great range but occasionally boneheaded erratic play. Santana's hit tool is excellent. He does make good contact. He does not take many balls and he does not strike out a lot. He swats at the ball and try to outrun it. Much better than Guzman there who did have more power and was pull (and K) happy resulting in low .200s BA
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#22 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

Could he be a SS version of Revere? Or at least a poor man's version? If so, I think you'd have a valuable and exciting bottom of the order hitter/producer.

#23 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

Could he be a SS version of Revere? Or at least a poor man's version? If so, I think you'd have a valuable and exciting bottom of the order hitter/producer.

That he could be with the bat. Just needs to be better about decision making on the field than he is right now because shortstops get many more balls their way than center fielders.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98