Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Olney: Strength of Schedule

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

For those who are concerned whether the Twins did enough in the offseason:

Buster Olney - Insider Access required
http://insider.espn....ey/post?id=5076

Here's what he said about the Twins:

1. Minnesota Twins

Games against teams with records of .500 or better in 2013: 31 of their first 40.
Home/road: 18 of their first 40 are at home.
Notable: My son plays a video game called "Injustice," and I think that lineup of villains is easier than what the Twins will face early in the year. They start out the season with six road games, and then beginning April 18, the Twins will play 25 straight games -- count 'em, 25 -- against teams that either made the playoffs or contended, including the Red Sox, Tigers, Rays and Dodgers. The Twins' new pitching will be tested early.

I just hope they can hang in there and not get buried before the middle of May. Are they headed for a 15-25 record out of the chute? I hope not, but the schedulers were certainly not kind.

#2 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:09 PM

Even in an era of 33% participation in the playoffs, that would seem to be a heavy haul early this year, to face those playoff-caliber teams consecutively. Of course the obvious, politically correct response is that "we need to play them eventually / everyone plays the same schedule.

On a related note. One thing that has really got my attention in the past several years has been the "win this series" argument. "We have a chance to win a series." You even hear that after the Twins take the first two games of a series -- why not just go for the sweep? Mathematically yeah, winning a three game series all season long is a sure winner. It's a fine radio talking point for rubes like us... As a coaching philosophy, or in a player's post game comment or something the GM tells the media on Sunday mornings, it's groan-inducing. Yet we hear it all the time now whenever the Twins get hot. Anyway, rant over. :-) Just win, baby.

Edited by Hosken Bombo Disco, 26 February 2014 - 12:57 AM.

#3 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:45 AM

I'm predicting a 39-1 start to the season.

#4 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:19 AM

It is hard to say whether the tough schedule early is a good or bad thing. Sometimes the good teams take a while to get going and we might be able to steal a couple of games while they figure things out. Or we could get crushed out of the gate and have the fans lose interest right away. It is hard to know which way things will go. At some point though we will play teams that are closer to our own level and things will even out. Maybe losing a lot early will create a greater sense of urgency for the games we should win. Baseball is fickle so we will have to wait and see.

#5 CRArko

CRArko

Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

It builds character. Hopefully one with 18(00) strength.

#6 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,807 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:30 AM

Yikes, Royals and Blue Jays back to back.

#7 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

This difficult schedule to begin a season seems to have happened a lot the past couple of years.
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#8 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 808 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

Looks like a win-win to me. If we do well it will be great, if we are buried then there is no reason for the front office not to bring up the next wave and let them learn at the major league level

#9 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:03 AM

It builds character. Hopefully one with 18(00) strength.

winner! though I usually went Dex or Int....
Lighten up Francis....

#10 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

Welp, it'll make the old adage more attainable.

"It's not how you start, it's how you finish."

#11 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,213 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

Hard to determine the strength of a schedule based on past season's records. Schedule Schmeadule. They play pretty much the same teams as Detroit, KC, Cleveland and the Sux. If they win early and often, they will be alright.

#12 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,429 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

Hard to determine the strength of a schedule based on past season's records. Schedule Schmeadule. They play pretty much the same teams as Detroit, KC, Cleveland and the Sux. If they win early and often, they will be alright.

My thoughts exactly. SoS doesn't mean much opening the season. A lot of the fringe contenders or WC teams from last year will be pretty bad this year.

#13 snepp

snepp

Speediest Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,123 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

I'm predicting a 39-1 start to the season.

Pessimist.

:P
"Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
- Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's