Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Tracking the Twins Top Prospects

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...s-Top-Prospects

#2 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,793 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

I think it is an exaggeration to say that Parmalee is holding his own. A 703 OPS from a dh or 1B is pretty weak. Lots of recent draft picks look to be on the older side for their level, but maybe my expectations for college players are just too high.

#3 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,223 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

Didn't realize that Angel Morales dropped that low this off-season...

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

Lots of recent draft picks look to be on the older side for their level, but maybe my expectations for college players are just too high.

College juniors drafted last year are already 22 this year. Except Levi Michael because he younger and went to college a little earlier. That's just how it is with college guys. Brian Dozier's been fast tracked, and he's almost 25. Gibson was really fast-tracked. A lot of the high draft college guys get pushed pretty quickly.

#5 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

Where are you finding these photos! Of minor league prospects? They are great!

#6 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,793 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

I guess I'm surprised to see college juniors in extended spring and below A....but again, I don't really know what other teams do. But in re-looking at your list, I think my comments were off anyway, and that isn't the case as much as I first thought when I read the list. Maybe I should concentrate more on this business meeting, where we are repeating ourselves, again....

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

What college juniors are at Extended Spring? There are some guys that were drafted in the 20th round or lower who are at EST, but they could be the guys called up if there is a need at Beloit. Guys like Steve Evans, David Hurlbut, Cole Johnson, Drew Leachman... But most of the highly drafted college juniors/seniors are in at least Beloit.

#8 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,793 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

Um, I did say that I was wrong, and that wasn't the case.....that I had misread it.....

#9 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

Dozier Has 3-4 errors already. For an older prospect in AAA this shouldnt happen. I have read the national prospect guys say his defense grade out low. Are we seeing this now with his errors? Whats the deal is he like Plouffe and destined for the OF?

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

Dozier

Has 3-4 errors already. For an older prospect in AAA this shouldnt happen. I have read the national prospect guys say his defense grade out low. Are we seeing this now with his errors?

Whats the deal is he like Plouffe and destined for the OF?

He's just fine defensively. No one is callling him a gold glove candidate, but he is very solid.

#11 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

I don't know if there's ever been a time in my 50 yrs as a Twins fan when there was less pitching talent in the organization. It's beyond thin.

#12 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,793 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

Agreed, Chief. Hence my position on the draft. Just awful. Imagine next year, when Baker, Pavano, Liariano, and Marquis are off the roster. Given that they won't sign legit FAs, and they won't trade multiple prospects for a guy in his prime, I am thinking next year could be bad also. But, they refused to blow it up this year so far, and go young, so I don't know how they get out of the box, unless they change their DNA.
Lighten up Francis....

#13 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

Dozier's defense At what position is he solid? The errors make me wonder if the scouts are right and maybe he wont stick at SS.

#14 benhertz

benhertz

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:09 AM

Just a guess, but some of Dozier's errors might be low throws that Bates and Rizzotti were unable to scoop. A good defensive first baseman can cover up a lot of would-be errors.