Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Sano's Over/Under For Being Sent to Minor League Camp

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

I was just commenting in a blog about how early top prospects are send down to the minors. Last year, Gibson was optioned to AAA on 3/14, ending any speculation that he might make the Opening Day roster very early. In some ways, it's a pretty efficient way to handle things: they get some time to hang out with major leaguers, still spend most of their time in minor league camp, and it keeps down the swirl surrounding whether or not they make the Opening Day roster.

I'm wondering if this year's example will be Sano. Thus, this thread on when the Twins will send him down, so we can all be prepared. I'll put the over/under at 3/13. Which side do you take?

(P.S. Hicks might be another example.)

Edited by ashburyjohn, 23 February 2014 - 04:27 PM.
Fix subject line

#2 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:37 AM

I'll take the under (before).
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

#3 Teflon

Teflon

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

Gibson's presence wasn't going to translate to ticket sales but Sano is definitely a draw to Spring Training. ($$) I take the over.

#4 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

A big factor is if there on the 40 man and they get injured, which is costly. Since Sano isn't on the 40 man I think Gardy will keep him around longer to get a longer look at him. I say guys like May, Vargas, and Kepler get sent down before Sano.

#5 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

I'll take over. I think he goes down exactly one week before opening day.

#6 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

Gonna say over as well. I think they want to get as good at him as possible. Plus they want him comfortable around the clubhouse because I seriously see him with the club after the Futures Game.

#7 AM.

AM.

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:05 PM

I think this story begs the question "What exactly is minor league bamp?"

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,262 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

A big factor is if there on the 40 man and they get injured, which is costly. Since Sano isn't on the 40 man I think Gardy will keep him around longer to get a longer look at him. I say guys like May, Vargas, and Kepler get sent down before Sano.

I 100% agree with this, although they may keep May around a little longer. Darnell, Santana, those guys will get sent to minor league camp fairly early because their on the 40 man roster.

I think Buxton, Meyer and Sano will stick around a little bit longer since they're not on the 40 man roster. That's to say 3/20 instead of maybe 3/13.

#9 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

I'd go with over also, but it's also going to depend on Spring results. I don't know that the decision to send Gibson to the minor league bamp was the original plan. If I remember correctly, he started off with a couple of good outings followed by two poor ones. At that point he was sent.

Like Hicks, I'd bet if Sano is crushing it, he sticks around, and while we're all pretty sure he won't make the team, if Gardy wants him (or more accurately doesn't want Plouffe) Sano might stick around for the extended look even if Ryan won't bring him north out of the gate under any circumstances.

#10 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

The last day #hope

#11 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:06 PM

Over. Keeping Sano around longer accomplishes multiple things: everybody gets to know him better (since he will become a fixture), allow Sano to be more comfortable with "being at the top", and turn the screws on some (I'm looking at you Plouffe) veterans who haven't yet fully established themselves with the Twins.

#12 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,223 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

My last day in Florida this ST is 3/19 and I will guess that Sano will be with the team then, if everything goes ok. If he starts to hit a HR or two in every game he plays (and he can do that) it will be hard to send him down.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#13 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

I go with the over for Sano. And for Hicks, if he gets sent down, he's the last one.

#14 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

Over, he's a curiosity that will put butts in the seats and he's not on the 40 man.

#15 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

Sano don't matter. He will float betwen camps as the Twins see fit.

Will be more interesting to see what happens to the optionless guys: Parmelee, Deduno, Diamond, Worley who all have to pretty much stick around until the last day to see if they can get thru waivers. And, remember, the guys would have to go 25-man, not 40-man.

Players are cut early on the 40-man, otherwise get paid big league money. I think Wood did this last year. Machedo did it a few years back. Both are considered rostered Twins, but never played a major league game with the team (can you name any others who did this?) Yes, Fetters came close.

Usually the minor league guys play if it is split squad or a road show. ALL players need at bats and fielding time, hopefully with whomever will be their teammates.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#16 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:37 PM

In spring training games, the Twins sell fairly well to begin with, so Sano won't necessarily put more butts in the seats. If he plays on the road, some people might make that trip to Red Sox land.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#17 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:51 PM

Over.

As long as the elbow is indeed 100% and ready. And as long as he shows even a little at the plate. Considering his potential and the plans for him, including hopes of being ready at some point this season, they want to look long and hard at him, introduce him as much as they can to MLB, and MLB to him.

I feel if he struggles or presses, then they might make the move sooner to get him in a proper groove and keep his confidence high and his approach sound.

The mentioned Gibson reference is interesting, but last season he was still in recovery mode, so to speak, and I think the plan from day one was to start the year in the minors regardless.

#18 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

Follow up question: Does Buxton get treated the same? Or younger and only high A under his belt, is he on a different or similar schedule?

#19 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

Over for 100. Alex.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

He's not on the 40 man... Unless he's absolutely terrible, he's going to stay long.... Taking the over.

#21 scottz

scottz

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:36 PM

Give me the over, too. At least long enough that I will invest in whoever makes the icepacks and heating pads that are applied to Plouffe's neck from all that looking over his shoulder.

#22 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

If he goes off at an insane clip, say he goes yard every 6th at bat for 7 or 8 games, they keep him around to see if his performance demands consideration to be brought up north. I do not expect this, however.

They need to get both Plouffe & Sano ready for the start of the season and unless they reconfigure the diamond, they can't have 2 third basemen in the lineup together. Sano goes down early unless some unusual circumstance (injury, etc,) dictate he stays. 3/10 but called back on split roster days.

#23 AM.

AM.

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:41 AM

I think that he will probably stay longer. But there is no way he breaks camp with the team, and he shouldn't. He won't in part because of the Hicks debacle.

That Hicks decision was terrible, and shows organizational decision making at its absolute worst. The management wanted to believe he was ready, and let a good year at AA and a few good days at Spring Training, (after a roller coaster minor league career) reinforce their theory and convince them it was a good decision. It was also in part reaction about the fact that they traded Span and Revere. The fact he was going to be the starter was obvious early in ST.

It could have worked out. But there was a strong chance it would work out terribly, as it did. On the other hand, starting him at AAA had zero possible negative outcomes; if he rakes, he saves a year of service time and is called up in two months, and if he stinks, it is obvious he needs more time at AAA.

The decision-making resembles the Hardy trade, frankly. After a frustrating first year at Target Field, management latched on to two ideas and can't be convinced otherwise: Hardy is always injured, and TF is so big they need to inject speed in their lineup. Once they got wedded to these ides, it quickly became obvious Hardy was going to be traded and no one was convincing them otherwise.

It it appears to me that Gardy was a key figure in both of these decisions.

#24 AM.

AM.

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:49 AM

My point is that I hope the very important upcoming decisions about Miguel Sano are made based on strategic planning, and not based on reactionary reflexes to short-term events. (And perhaps they need some more "the emperor has no clothes" voices in their decision-making processes.)

#25 VandyTwinsFan

VandyTwinsFan

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

I'm hoping for OVER. The 20th at the earliest since the Twins games will be televised the 16th, 17th, and the 19th. I'd like to see him take a few hacks live.