Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Q&A with Stephen Gonsalves

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,826 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:22 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...ephen-Gonsalves

#2 tjsyam921

tjsyam921

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:19 AM

Will he start the year in Cedar Rapids? I look forward to seeing Stephen, Lewis Thorpe, and Stewart this season. Should be another fun year in Cedar Rapids.

#3 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:28 AM

Thanks for the interview! I hope he progresses quickly.

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:54 AM

He could be a steal and I hope he makes his goal this year of starting the year in full-season ball.

Someone may have to correct me, but wasn't one of the knocks on Stephen that he had a dust up or didn't listen to his coach? If I'm remembering that correctly I'm guessing it was overblown considering he posititvely mentioned his coach more than once here.

#5 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:17 AM

He could not have said anything better. At the end I thought he'd use the Nuke stock phrases: "I'm just happy to be here." "I'll take it one game at a time." Etc.

Can't wait to see him pitch. Making the Cedar Rapids team, and playing a full season is a good goal for him. Not sure if he'll be able to out of spring training, given the depth of the system. But I would be shocked if he doesn't pitch there at some point this year.

#6 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

He could be a steal and I hope he makes his goal this year of starting the year in full-season ball.

Someone may have to correct me, but wasn't one of the knocks on Stephen that he had a dust up or didn't listen to his coach? If I'm remembering that correctly I'm guessing it was overblown considering he posititvely mentioned his coach more than once here.

He gave some teammates a ride home after a party in which some of them were drinking and smoking pot. By team policy, the whole car was suspended.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#7 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:55 AM

Great interview. There is a pretty good chance a lot of teams will regret letting Gonsalves slide so low. His bad rep was such a non-issue I was pretty surprised people didn't dig a little deeper to uncover what really happened. Great move by the Twins grabbing him when they did.

I'm really curious to see how he progresses, what a steal he could end up being.

#8 ericchri

ericchri

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:02 AM

I know nothing about him besides what I've read on this site, but I like his answers. He sounds a little chippy and very confident, and that's a good thing in a starting pitcher. Definitely seems like we may have gotten a steal. Best of luck to him this season, I hope we start hearing about him regularly as that will likely mean he's doing well.

#9 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:08 AM

He gave some teammates a ride home after a party in which some of them were drinking and smoking pot. By team policy, the whole car was suspended.

Yeah, I was thinking there was a different issue with an authority figure and I thought that figure was the coach. I'm probably wrong, but regardless, he spoke well of the man.

#10 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:15 AM

I did chuckle when he said he pitches to contact.

Gardy and Andy will like this kid. :)

#11 Nate Haseman

Nate Haseman

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:46 AM

I want to see this kid pitch against the Yankees in the playoffs and make good on his "never let us down" promise.

#12 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

Great article Seth. I also chuckled when he talked about pitching to contact. Since he was one of my adapt-a-prospects last year, I followed him closely and was very impressed.

I don't tweet so I didn't see his tweets but heard about them. He is a wee bit cocky, I wonder what will happen when he runs into his first problem (injury, a series of bad games, a bunch of bad calls from minor league umps). How will he handle it??

I hope he makes Cedar Rapids rotation and does well. A big lefty with powerful stuff...but part of me wonders about him overcoming obstacles. I will be following him again this summer.

#13 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

He's made it hard so far not to root for him. His goals are pretty reasonable too, though being a HS draftee, I'd suspect he's going to be on an innings limit this year. Seeing him in CR at one point though seems reasonable. I kind of hope he starts there early on. With Thorpe, Stewart, and Gonclaves, they have a rotation that will keep me checking their box scores daily.

#14 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

Thanks for the interview Seth. This is one I have been waiting on. I'm a huge fan of this kid and can definitely see him being the steal of the draft. I almost fell of my chair because I was so excited when the Twins drafted him.

#15 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

I'm OK with a kid pitching to contact, as long as he puts up a 12 K/9.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#16 Jdosen

Jdosen

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:27 PM

"I pitch to contact"-Stephen Gonsalves

*facepalm*-Jdosen

In all seriousness, he's got good K/9 numbers so far, but he's only appeared in 8 games in his whole career. I hope that's just a quote and not a philosophy.

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,826 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

Again, "Pitch to Contact" means throw strikes... that's the area he probably has to work on most. It's just a phrase... we overthink it way too much.

#18 AM.

AM.

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

It is almost like he was baiting this forum with the pitch to contact response. Awesome.

I like this kid. I hope he and Stewart move up through the minors together. It was an interesting response about watching guys he played against and thought he was better than get drafted higher. I like the chip on the shoulder attitude. I have a gut feeling in a couple of years it is going to be hard to remember that he and Stewart were drafted three rounds apart.

#19 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,826 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:09 PM

I thought the same thing about the Pitch to Contact thing... thought maybe I should edit it out. Ha!!

#20 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

Again, "Pitch to Contact" means throw strikes... that's the area he probably has to work on most. It's just a phrase... we overthink it way too much.

Well said Seth. Last year we were dead last in strikeouts and it wasn't close. We were 7th best on the walks side but still very close to league average.
Its not the pitch to contact philosophy that hurts us so bad. Its that we execute it so badly. Anywhere in the top 18 in strikeouts and giving up the fewest walks would satisfy me.

#21 Oxtung

Oxtung

• Members
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

I don't see any way he starts at CR next season. There are just too many other intriguing players fighting for starts. Jorge, Landa and Rosario seem to be locks. Then there are Hein Robb and Josh Burris who made starts their last year before being sent back to the Appy league. There is a chance Ryan Eades starts in CR as well instead of FM. IIRC the Twins wanted to move Slegers to the rotation and we can't forget about Luke Bard. He'll be back after his injury this season rearing to go. Then you also have Kohl Stewart and Lewis Thorpe as well.

It seems strange to say this but there seems to be an abundance of intriguing pitching building in the low minors. Behind the guys previously mentioned there are also some intriguing bullpen arms and a couple more guys who were pretty darn good at GCL last season who are just a year behind.

#22 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

At least the coaching staff doesn't have to convert him to "pitch to contact". Yikes.

#23 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:53 AM

As was said earlier, pitching to contact is throwing strikes. Near as I can figure, you need to throw strikes at some point to strike people out. The question before that one he said "I tell the batter in my head that you can't touch this." You can pitch to contact if they can't make contact with what you pitch.
A pitch with poor movement and/or poor location is going to get hit regardless the pitching coach's philosophy, The parade of pitchers through the starting rotation the last few years that now are pitching elsewhere should be proof of that. PJ Walters will not be having a 24 K% in KC with a different coach.

Edited by old nurse, 22 February 2014 - 05:57 AM.

#24 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

Gonsalves is Trolling Twins fans with this phrase.

I am sure his family has looked at Twins blogs in the past. He must know this phrase is a buzz word in the Twins fandom.