Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Best time to visit spring training?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tcarlic

tcarlic

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

In your opinion when is the best time to experience ST? I have been once during the middle of March and am thinking of trying to make it down next year.

#2 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

I'm more interested in the drills and the minor-league-field games than in the nominal big-league games there. So for me, earlier is better. If your priority is the opposite of mine then maybe later is better so that you are watching a more settled game lineup.

#3 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

In my opinion the best time is a week before they have to report til a week after, that is if you have 2 weeks. If only a week a few days before they have to report to start.

#4 tcarlic

tcarlic

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

The main prerogative would be to get autographs, watch drills - see minor league and major league players participate. Games aren't necessarily the main objective. I've done that and it was fun, but I want a more "personal" experience. I am a teacher and would have the 2nd or 3rd week in February off.

#5 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

The main prerogative would be to get autographs, watch drills - see minor league and major league players participate. Games aren't necessarily the main objective. I've done that and it was fun, but I want a more "personal" experience. I am a teacher and would have the 2nd or 3rd week in February off.

If that is the goal, I would say the 3rd week of February. Minor leaguers who are neither on the 40-man nor invited to the big league camp report usually a week after the major leaguers. Lots of them will be around earlier, but the closer to reporting days the best chances you have to see them all...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#6 Madre Dos

Madre Dos

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:44 PM

Minor League is reporting around March 4th - I always go the week after they report.

#7 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

I have a friend who is a rabid Red Sox fan and is going to be in Fort Myers for the next week. He is going over to check out the Twins for a bit one day, so I am going to try to find the best time for him to get a glance of Sano, Buxton, and Meyer.

#8 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

He can glance between 9 and 11:30 or so. bp starts around 9:30. Meyer will be as far away as can be, down by the stadium or bullpen. He threw a bp today that just blew people's minds away. Fastball so fast you could barely see it if at all, and said after he was throwing at 85%. Since your friend can't be in 2 places at once, I'd have him check out Meyer to see if he's throwing that day, first off.

#9 AScheib50

AScheib50

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

So last year was my first trip down and I went sometime around the 13-16 I think...I watched a lot of minor league drills and BP but never caught a full game. I feel like the minor league games were ramping up by the time I was leaving though. I never caught any big league practice or drills though, was I too late? Where do they do their drills, practice etc?

I am planning to go down this year but can't make it til about the last week, like the 22nd...will there still be a lot going on at that point? Can I catch the minor leaguers on the back fields still? Or will I have missed all the good action?