Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: TD Top Prospects: #5 Eddie Rosario

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:19 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...D-Top-Prospects

#2 Miraclemat

Miraclemat

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:18 AM

It probably has been noted and I have missed it......does anyone know specifically what the drug was he was suspended over? PED? Weed? TY

#3 huhguy

huhguy

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:40 AM

It probably has been noted and I have missed it......does anyone know specifically what the drug was he was suspended over? PED? Weed? TY

it was Rosario and Arcia in Elizabethton, when Rosario hit more HRs is Arcia wh you are comparing with?

#4 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:22 AM

I believe mlb has two classifications, performance enhanching and drug of abuse. From there they don't go into detail. this was a drug of abuse (recreational)

Edited by tobi0040, 10 February 2014 - 09:40 AM.

#5 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:05 AM

I believe it was black tar heroin. I could be mistaken.

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,394 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:21 AM

Eddie Rosario, star of the upcoming documentary "The Baseball Diaries".

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

it was Rosario and Arcia in Elizabethton, when Rosario hit more HRs is Arcia wh you are comparing with?

No, it's always been Sano and Rosario. They've been like Batman and Robin their whole trip through the system. Arcia was always ahead of them a level or two.

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:23 AM

Eddie Rosario, star of the upcoming documentary "The Baseball Diaries".

I thought it was meth and he was going to be the star of a new show called "Breaking Bats"

#9 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:26 AM

Joking or for real? if it true, the Twins need to dump him as soon as posible or put him in a 9 month treatment facility

#10 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

Big believer....big fan. He's a long term MLB starter. I think he possibly pushes Dozier to be dealt in the next year or two. Or, if Hicks fails, he's your starting LFer.

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:32 AM

Here are the E-Town numbers from the big three. Rosario and Sano played in E-Town in 2011. Arcia was there in 2010.

In 2011:

Eddie Rosario hit .337/.397/.670 (1.068) with 9 doubles, 9 triples, 21 homers and 60 RBI.

Miguel Sano hit .292/.352/.637 (.988) with 18 doubles, 7 triples, 20 homers and 59 RBI.

In 2010:

Oswaldo Arcia hit .375/.424/.672 (1.096) with 21 doubles, 7 triples, 14 homers and 51 RBI.

#12 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,394 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

Joking or for real? if it true, the Twins need to dump him as soon as posible or put him in a 9 month treatment facility

Clearly a joke. I'm pretty confident in saying that Eddie Rosario is not a purveyor or fan of black tar heroin.

#13 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:45 AM

Clearly a joke. I'm pretty confident in saying that Eddie Rosario is not a purveyor or fan of black tar heroin.

thanks....
In this game you never know, was it Doc Ellis of the Pirates who pitched a world series game on LSD? or the Yankee relief Pitcher Howe(?) who was suspended 7 times for cocain abuse?

#14 DaneDiggy

DaneDiggy

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:11 AM

thanks....
In this game you never know, was it Doc Ellis of the Pirates who pitched a world series game on LSD? or the Yankee relief Pitcher Howe(?) who was suspended 7 times for cocain abuse?

#15 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

What I believe I heard was it was considered a "drug of abuse" however the story I read was that it was a painkiller he had previously been approved to take. When he was in pain again he took it again but without a prescription therefore it was considered a drug of abuse in this scenario. Hopefully was just an honest mistake, maybe this was just a bs coverup story to keep him from looking bad. That is what I remember reading awhile back though.

#16 Teddy

Teddy

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

What I believe I heard was it was considered a "drug of abuse" however the story I read was that it was a painkiller he had previously been approved to take. When he was in pain again he took it again but without a prescription therefore it was considered a drug of abuse in this scenario. Hopefully was just an honest mistake, maybe this was just a bs coverup story to keep him from looking bad. That is what I remember reading awhile back though.

Yeah, there's a story in the PP wherein he claims he took pain killers:

http://www.twincitie...game-suspension

#17 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

Here are the E-Town numbers from the big three. Rosario and Sano played in E-Town in 2011. Arcia was there in 2010.

In 2011:

Eddie Rosario hit .337/.397/.670 (1.068) with 9 doubles, 9 triples, 21 homers and 60 RBI.

Miguel Sano hit .292/.352/.637 (.988) with 18 doubles, 7 triples, 20 homers and 59 RBI.

In 2010:

Oswaldo Arcia hit .375/.424/.672 (1.096) with 21 doubles, 7 triples, 14 homers and 51 RBI.

I think Rosario will ultimately be traded because I think he will have more value in another organization. He provides the most value at 2B, then CF, then a corner OF spot.

It seems the consensus is he is unlikely to stick at 2B for defensive reasons. His bat profiles as above average at CF, but it is very unlikely he beats out Buxton. And .280-.290, 10-14 HR, and 25-30 2B is at best an average corner outfielder offensively (although above average defensively). I agree with his prospect ranking here at #5 regardless.

#18 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:01 AM

Even though the consensus is about his ability or not to be a decent second baseman should not this be properly determined by Twins' field management and arrived at early on this spring while also taking into account his suspension and what that could ultimately mean in future seasons?

#19 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

I don't think there is any consensus he can't stick at 2B. He's been doing it for only 2 years.

I don't get how being an "average" corner OF is not valuable to this team. Arcia might be best as a DH. Or maybe Hicks can't hit at all. Or maybe both!

The only way I'd trade him is for an elite arm, or an elite SS.
Lighten up Francis....

#20 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

I don't think there is any consensus he can't stick at 2B. He's been doing it for only 2 years.

I don't get how being an "average" corner OF is not valuable to this team. Arcia might be best as a DH. Or maybe Hicks can't hit at all. Or maybe both!

Robinson Cano started out his minor league career at the opposite end of the fielding spectrum @ SS, and a little 3B, before moving him full-time to 2B in his 3rd professional year. 2 years and a month more in the minors at the position, he still struggled the first few years, and it's fair to say he grew into the position.

Rosario may never have the glove that Cano has, but his career thus far at the plate makes it extra-desirable to see how this experiment plays out, as he could definitely become an MLB top-5 offensive Second Baseman based on the #s below, and Dozier would be the one traded instead.

Compare the Minor League numbers of Cano and Rosario, both are 6' and similarly built, and imagine Rosario, when he puts on the 20 additional pounds of muscle that Robbie currently plays with:

Cano (5 years Minor League): .278/.337/.425/.756
Rosario (4 years Mi. League): .307/.358/.510/.867

Edited by jokin, 10 February 2014 - 12:04 PM.

#21 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:25 AM

I think it's weed. He says it was painkillers.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#22 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:31 AM

Good point jokin.......I'd take a great hitting, marginal fielding, 2B over what most teams have there. But even if Dozier becomes that guy........Rosario is a much better option in the OF than Hicks appears to be, and possibly better than Arcia, imo.
Lighten up Francis....

#23 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

I never said that he would not provide value to this team as a corner OF. A LF with 40-50 extra base hits under control would be valuable. The point is if he is an average LF here versus an above average CF somewhere else (a position always in short supply), his value to us maybe higher by trading him for a good SP, SS, or some other position in need.

#24 birddog

birddog

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

I saw Rosario in spring training last year and loved his bat speed. He is very athletic so I agree we can't give up on his defense at 2B as he will only get better. Once Dozier is fully acclimated to the majors and proves his bat warrants he stays in the lineup, is it possible the Twins move him back to short since we are now without young shortstops in the minors? His confidence at the plate should carry out to the field so he should be a much better SS than in his first stint. I fully agree that if Rosario is traded, it is only for a can't-miss prospect or a proven player; however, I expect to see this exciting young player as one of our major cogs for the future.

#25 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

I agree completely. Average corner offensively and above average defensively makes him an above average corner outfielder. I also agree that his future may be tied to the performance of Hicks and Dozier but I agree with your trade parameters. Last year we did not have a single outfielder that was even close to "average". Arcia was closest and as mentioned above he is probably best suited to DH.

#26 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:01 AM

Good point jokin.......I'd take a great hitting, marginal fielding, 2B over what most teams have there. But even if Dozier becomes that guy........Rosario is a much better option in the OF than Hicks appears to be, and possibly better than Arcia, imo.

I am much higher on Arcia. They are both the same age and what Arcia has done the last two years is quite impressive:

2012 - .928 OPS at A+/AA
2013 - .1020 OPS at AAA/ .734 OPS MLB. Only M and M had a higher OPS with regular at bats on the Twins.

#27 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

I saw Rosario in spring training last year and loved his bat speed. He is very athletic so I agree we can't give up on his defense at 2B as he will only get better. Once Dozier is fully acclimated to the majors and proves his bat warrants he stays in the lineup, is it possible the Twins move him back to short since we are now without young shortstops in the minors? His confidence at the plate should carry out to the field so he should be a much better SS than in his first stint. I fully agree that if Rosario is traded, it is only for a can't-miss prospect or a proven player; however, I expect to see this exciting young player as one of our major cogs for the future.

I would think that the Twins would be very hesitant to try Dozier again at Short, given the previous disaster there- although they might act on your logic for doing so- if Rosario can really force the issue. I think with the overhanging suspension issue, this is shaping up to be a huge year for Rosario in terms of the Twins future plans for him (or lack thereof). He's one of the Big 4 who I will be watching for progress reports on a daily basis- I hope this whole bad experience for Eddie puts the world's biggest chip on his shoulder...and come late May....the Eastern League pitchers pay dearly for that chip....followed by a similar experience for the IL hurlers in August....and then a September call-up.

#28 Dave T

Dave T

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

Arcia is not a good outfielder, and his long-term position might be DH. If Hicks can't hit, I say move Rosario back to the outfield.

#29 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

I am much higher on Arcia. They are both the same age and what Arcia has done the last two years is quite impressive:

2012 - .928 OPS at A+/AA
2013 - .1020 OPS at AAA/ .734 OPS MLB. Only M and M had a higher OPS with regular at bats on the Twins.

As a hitter, I'm much higher on Arcia. As a complete player, that has to field....well, I'm not sure yet.
Lighten up Francis....

#30 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

2012 - .928 OPS at A+/AA

At the plate, I agree, although Arcia had a .245 point difference in his L-R splits in the minors, versus Rosario's .111 point difference. And Rosario did have a .904 at Ft Myers. Let's see if he hits the ground running in late May at New Britain. Plus Arcia projects longer-term as a DH, while Rosario would be a Plus-Glove as a Corner OF.