Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Gilmartin Excited for New Opportunity

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,123 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:18 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...New-Opportunity

#2 ericchri

ericchri

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

I would imagine most of us will remain hopeful yet skeptical until we hear that his shoulder is healthy and his velocity is back. I definitely don't mind lottery tickets in the system, though, with enough of them your odds of getting lucky go up.

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,425 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:27 AM

I would imagine most of us will remain hopeful yet skeptical until we hear that his shoulder is healthy and his velocity is back. I definitely don't mind lottery tickets in the system, though, with enough of them your odds of getting lucky go up.

Particularly when that lottery ticket was traded for a guy whose value was virtually non-existent on the current Twins roster.

Doumit adds value to a baseball team and he added value while on the Twins... But his time had passed. With Pinto being a question mark defensively, Mauer moving to first, and the Twins having a boatload of DH/1B/OF types that don't play well in the field, something had to give.

#4 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

Good line. There is a reason the Braves gave him away for very little. Maybe 2013 was just pitching thru injury, maybe not. We will see. Yes, let him get lots of innings at Rochester (or New Britain). Maybe Twins get lucky. Maybe not. IMHO he looks to be a better long range prospect than Trevor May at this point.

#5 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

I really liked the trade and still do. Am I expecting a ton from Gilmartin? No, but he could round into a mid to back of the rotation starter or . . . ooorrr he could convert to bullpen and tick up his velocity a bit. It was a nice piece to get for someone we seemed willing to almost give away.

#6 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

Sean Gilmartin could be one of those guys that needs to train physically as if he's always rehabbing from an injury. Build up the muscles around that shoulder, then learn to pitch in a way that doesn't re-injure it.

Agree with other comments on the trade. Doumit is a good ballplayer, but the Twins have a glut of utility guys, and guys that may end up in a utility role. Getting a former high draft pick for him was a coup. On the other hand, Atlanta gave up on Gilmartin for a reason, too. Shoulder problems can end a pitcher's career in a hurry.

#7 Otwins

Otwins

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

Good line. There is a reason the Braves gave him away for very little. Maybe 2013 was just pitching thru injury, maybe not. We will see. Yes, let him get lots of innings at Rochester (or New Britain). Maybe Twins get lucky. Maybe not. IMHO he looks to be a better long range prospect than Trevor May at this point.

I thought I was the only one that felt that way. Maybe Gilmartin was hurt and could rebound if healthy. May just hasn't been that good as a starter and looks like a reliever. I think May should be back with Tonkin on these prospect lists.
If Gilmartin can't cut it as a starter at least he is a left handed reliever.

#8 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:04 AM

Jimbo, in what universe is Doumit considered a good ballplayer? Surely not mine and I would think hardly anybody else's either. Teams that people their rosters with players such as Doumit are doomed to failure, so logically why not then take a chance with Gilmartin? Even is he fails you have lost nothing.