Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Alex Castellanos DFAd by Red Sox

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:06 PM

He's a 27 year old corner OF/2B/3B who has hit .900+ OPS in both AA (SL & TL) and AAA (@ ABQ) and features a .386/.382 OBP at those levels. Hits for power and can steal a few bases.

Seems like an upgrade over some of the current rosterees, both at the plate and w/ his positional flexibility.

Any thoughts?

Edited by jokin, 12 December 2013 - 07:09 PM.

#2 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

He's a 27 year old corner OF/2B/3B who has hit .900+ OPS

I see that until his age-25 season you couldn't really say the same about his 3B fielding percentage. :)

#3 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:37 PM

Maybe an upgrade, maybe not. 40th person on a roster. Sort of like Julio Borbon. I would rather they worry about upgrading the third outfielder, not the sixth.

#4 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:40 PM

I see that until his age-25 season you couldn't really say the same about his 3B fielding percentage. :)

It's hard to be worse than Plouffe at 3B.

#5 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:48 PM

If Parmelee & Mastrioanni werent already on the roster I'd have interst.

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:15 AM

I'd think the right-handed Colabello would need to be released. They look pretty similar though Colabello stuck out less in the minors, which hasn't translated well to the majors.

#7 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:41 AM

Trying to keep up with the Tigers' new Castellanos (Nick, no relation)?

If we're ready to cut bait on or trade any of our corner OF/1B/DH types (Parmelee, Colabello, Willingham, Doumit if he's not slated to catch much, Plouffe if he's not expected to stick at 3B much longer), this Castellanos might be worth a look.

But this isn't necessarily a rare opportunity -- fringe corner guys like this are regularly available if you have a 40-man roster spot for them. Parmelee and Colabello might join that group if we sign another FA or if they don't make the squad of out spring training.

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:00 AM

It's hard to be worse than Plouffe at 3B.

Among the 20 qualified hitters who played at 3B:
Based on UZR/150, there were 4 (Chris Johnson, Ryan Zimmerman, Miguel Cabrera, David Freese) equal or worse than Plouffe,
Based on RZR there were 9 worse than Plouffe
Based on DRS there were also 9 worse than Plouffe

So about 1/3 of the players who played 3rd base last season enough to qualify, objectively are worse than Plouffe
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#9 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

Based on UZR/150, there were 4 (Chris Johnson, Ryan Zimmerman, Miguel Cabrera, David Freese) equal or worse than Plouffe,

So about 1/3 of the players who played 3rd base last season enough to qualify, objectively are worse than Plouffe

D/P

Edited by jokin, 13 December 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#10 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,796 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

Like I said, when you're throwing Miggie as a comp to make Plouffie look better, you are confirming how truly bad Plouffie is in the field. I think we can agree that being in the bottom third of 3Bs is a pretty awful group to belong to, and "objectivity" and defensive rankings are a demonstrably sketchy category to begin with- as SABRmetricians are the first to admit that one year's worth of data is not very meaningful, certainly not statistically significant, even if it is "objective".