Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

The Twins DFA Liam Hendriks

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

Really did not see this coming, thought there were others on the 40-man who would go before him
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

Not a big surprise but I was hoping he'd make it. Hope he gets another chance.

#3 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,848 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

I'm shocked but trust it was the right decision.

Hendriks just seemed like a guy who needed some more big league innings to work things out.

Actually... Confidence was what he needed in my opinion.
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#4 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

Actually... Confidence was what he needed in my opinion.

An out pitch might had serve him well too.

Interesting fact, the 3 SP leaders in K% in the Twins' rotation are gone now (DeVries, Hendriks, Pelfrey)
-----

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:58 PM

I'm completely shocked. He's the youngest of the pitchers on the 40 man roster who could have been removed by a bit. He's had AAA success. He's got the velocity and the 2ndary pitches. I hope he does get claimed and turns out great. Of course, he could clear waivers and go back to Rochester.

#6 lee_the_twins_fan

lee_the_twins_fan

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:59 PM

Surprising news. I expected Hendriks to be one of the long shots to make the rotation.

#7 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,015 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:08 PM

Weird. There are a few other candidates for such a move . . .

#8 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:09 PM

I guess I don't mind it at all. I mean, who's going to carry him on their 40? He hasn't even had moderate success in the bigs.

#9 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

I really hope he clears waivers. I'd much rather have dumped Johnson, but this strikes me as a move of frustration by the Twins. I think they've just run out of ways to try and get him to translate his minor league success to the bigs.

#10 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:33 PM

Who are some of the guys that you would have placed on waivers before Hendriks? I'm not arguing with anyone who thinks someone else should have gone before Liam because I agree.

Chances he doesn't get claimed? I'd say 5%. Even with his bad numbers in the majors, he is just 25 years old and has a great track record in the minors.

#11 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:40 PM

Who are some of the guys that you would have placed on waivers before Hendriks?

Albers
Colabello
Mastroianni
Fryer
Thielbar
Diamond

(but I'd be on the phones trying to work a trade for the last 2 and Fien before waivers)
-----

#12 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

I'm completely shocked. He's the youngest of the pitchers on the 40 man roster who could have been removed by a bit. He's had AAA success. He's got the velocity and the 2ndary pitches. I hope he does get claimed and turns out great. Of course, he could clear waivers and go back to Rochester.

If he does get claimed and then turns into a decent starter, what would the fans say about the coaching situation with the Twins?

#13 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

I could be wrong, but I would guess the Twins have pretty well set their pecking order for starting pitchers and will, over time clear out any excess. They did this a number of years ago where they only had 12-13 at ST. I do expect other small moves, and wouldn't be surprised if Diamond, Worley, or Denuno are traded because they are out of options or ST performance.

I think Kris Johnson is set. First Scout spent 4 days in Indianapolis working the Morneau trade and Johnson is the lefthanded starting pitcher he ultimately ended up with and has 3 options. Len III said just before he left, he was looking for starting pitching that could debut at Target Field in 2014.

#14 Marta Shearing

Marta Shearing

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

Would rather have seen colabello or macaroni dumped.

#15 Jdosen

Jdosen

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:07 PM

I don't like this at all. I mean, obviously the odds of him ever really becoming something are long, but I feel like he had more upside than a few guys on the 40. I always felt like if he ever got the chance to consistently start, he could have worked through some of the issues he had when he was up. I would be shocked if he passes through waivers. Someone will pick him up, and I hope he gets a chance to sink or swim in the bigs.
I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamso...s.blogspot.com/
twitter: @dose17

#16 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

First Scout spent 4 days in Indianapolis

Second prize was a week. Badum-tisssh.

#17 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

I'm content with this move, but I wish the best for Hendriks' future. I haven't seen anything that gives me any promise that he would be a good starter in the time he has. Orioles will probably nab him.

#18 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:23 PM

I am surprised by this move as well but maybe I shouldn't be. As far as pitchers go Diamond and Worley had shown something at the MLB level. Even slow pitch Albers had some good games in September so I guess you throw the guy (Hendricks) who never really put it together on the big stage under the bus and see if someone else likes him. I guess it makes sense. It just seems like the Twins typically give the younger guys every possible chance to succeed and this move doesn't seem to follow that trend. The Twins really must not be believers in his potential.

#19 lee_the_twins_fan

lee_the_twins_fan

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

Albers
Colabello
Mastroianni
Fryer
Thielbar
Diamond

(but I'd be on the phones trying to work a trade for the last 2 and Fien before waivers)

Mastroianni and Thielbar, maybe. But not the rest. Too much potential upside.

#20 Briley

Briley

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

I guess I'm surprised too because I think there are people who are probably more deserving, however I guess I get the move. Even though Hendriks never really got an extended look (30 total games between 3 years), he never was able to really get anything going at the Major League Level. Plus the Twins 40 man is currently pretty full on the right handed starting pitcher front with Nolasco, Hughes, Correia, Deduno, Gibson, and Worley.

#21 Doc Freiermuth

Doc Freiermuth

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

Seems to me I remember when Hendricks was first sent down, both Gardy and Terry said he needed to work on "things" because he was fooling batters in AAA that didn't work in the Bigs. Never heard anymore about what that was, but just taking a cold look at his huge disparity in numbers from AAA to Big League starts...I'd say he never did what he was told or couldn't and they realized he was really no better than a AAAA pitcher so let's cut bait.

#22 shs_59

shs_59

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:18 PM

I guess I don't mind it at all. I mean, who's going to carry him on their 40? He hasn't even had moderate success in the bigs.

The Houston Astros + about 25 other clubs.

Would scoop up Hendriks; The 'stros in a jiffy.

Hendriks will be claimed within 72 hours.

I'm not happy with this move at all.
Hendriks > than a lot of people .....

Fryer, Kris Johnson, and about 3 others i would have taken off before Hendriks.

Edited by shs_59, 05 December 2013 - 08:20 PM.

Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

#23 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:21 PM

This will probably be a lot of teeth gnashing over nothing, but it's just disappointing that a player who is still so young is being given up on in favor of guys far less likely to be part of the long-term plan. He's the kind of guy they need to keep giving a chance until the other young guys supplant him.

#24 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:28 PM

Colabello is still around? Fryer?

#25 shs_59

shs_59

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:33 PM

RE: in reply to Doc Freiermuth's post above ^

If the front office is already convinced Hendriks is a quad A (AAAA) pitcher, than

Anybody below Meyer and maaaaaaybe Lewis Thorpe and Kohl Stewart in the minor league system can be kissed good-bye in 2-6 years. On waivers.

I mean it might be an indictment on the coaching staff : R. Anderson, Mintz, Cuellar more than anything but Hendriks dominated not just low a and high a (which hardly matters) he was flat out stellar at times in AA and AAA.

THAT in and of itself, suggests he should be a more than servicable starting pitcher, if

1) Have the coaches that know how to utilize him
&
2) Said player stays healthy

Based off his arsenal, and control, mound presence and all that.

It was a long shot he was ever going to be more than a #3 starter......but HE SHOULD have been a decent #4 and I still think will be a #5 / #4 or at least a valuable swing-man... a la Swarzak.
Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

#26 CRArko

CRArko

Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:37 PM

This seems vaguely reminiscent of a number of Joe Benson threads.

I like the kid. I hope he makes it back to the Redwings.

#27 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

There are probably guys with less upside on the 40. He may have a Kevin Correia career in front him.

#28 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

I hope this thread doesn't blow-up like the one about Joe Benson! Seriously, the Twins have to cut bait on guys who don't succeed in the majors, there are just too many (and Oh how they have touted their MiLs) on their way up. Sometimes, throats have to be cut. I forgot about Kris Johnson--he will be extended opportunities to succeed at the ML level, quite likely right out of Spring Training. There just isn't any room for Hendriks--and I don't think there should be either!

#29 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

This is very suprising especially considering he had an option left. He would have been much easier to sneak off the 40 man roster after the rule 5 draft when teams already have filled their open spots on the 40 man roster.

While he struggled quite a bit starting how do they not move him off into a bullpen role & follow a path like Swarzak. Possible back end of the rotation guy with very good minor league numbers who struggles. Move him to the bullpen he gains 2-3 mph on his fastball all of a sudden you have a valuable guy out of the pen to give you innings.

Fryer should have been moved, this is ridiculous. If he doesnt get claimed there must be a big injury red flag that popped up last year still lingering.

#30 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:38 PM

Initially I was surprised by this move. Then I thought about it, Liam will be 25 next season--he is 2-13 in MLB with an ERA of about 6. Not numbers that will lead to a lot of waiver claims (if any). I hope he finds a way to get back to the show somewhere but realistically don't expect it. If things go well several more guys will have to be cleared from the 40 man roster in 2014 to make room for Sano, Buxton, etc. I expect Collobello, Thielbar, etc. to not be here next year.