Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Rule V stuff

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

BA reported that a surprise player, Omar Luis, who signed a 2.5m bonus with the Yankees last year, is available in the rule v draft. Luis, a LHP from Cuba, is eligible b/c of a weird set of circumstances - his first contract (for 4m) was voided b/c of an injury and he resigned for 2.5m. But b/c it was his second contract w/his original team, and not protected on the 40 man roster, he's eligible for the rule v draft.

http://www.baseballa...n-rule-5-draft/

Probably won't be drafted since he was in rookie ball last year and he's a only 6' tall. And walked nearly a batter an inning. Has a good fastball and two more pitches that could be avg, which makes him a #3 type pitcher (like Berrios) if it all comes together.

#2 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

I'm guessing it would be hard to hide this guy for a whole year and then send him to A+ or AA the next year. Any team that takes him might be hurting this guys future. But the Twins found it necessary to add Kepler so perhaps he will get drafted.

#3 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

So with Nolasco signed, we have a full 40 man roster. Are we dropping someone or not drafting someone?

#4 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

Checked it with Ben Badler earlier this morning: The Yankees protected him on their AAA roster so he is not subject to the MiLB portion of the Rule 5 draft. The guy is too raw and way too out of shape (think Prince Fielder Jr) to be able to even sit on an MLB bench. He is safe until he gets his act together and get more that half a GCL season under his belt.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#5 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

The Twins will have to make a roster decision, unless they don't want to draft in the Rule 5.

Colabello, I imagine.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#6 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

Could be one of a number of players. Collebella is a good guess. I might rather give up on Parmelle.

#7 Hugh Morris

Hugh Morris

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:29 PM

Checked it with Ben Badler earlier this morning: The Yankees protected him on their AAA roster so he is not subject to the MiLB portion of the Rule 5 draft. The guy is too raw and way too out of shape (think Prince Fielder Jr) to be able to even sit on an MLB bench. He is safe until he gets his act together and get more that half a GCL season under his belt.

To play devil's advocate* here: Isn't a major league training room, surrounded by older teammates who focus on their bodies, and with the team able to closely monitor his diet exactly where you'd want a raw, out of shape guy like this?

Wouldn't the best way to touch up the mechanics that have evidently given him trouble since he's come stateside be to have him pitch consistent bullpen sessions under the watchful eyes of (I would hope) the two best pitching coaches and best medical staff in the organization?

Based on Badler's description and some of the other things I've seen, he seems like a prime candidate to lose a season to injury sometime in the near future. Maybe he'd be better off "losing a season" to improved fitness and mechanics. If the only cost is $50,000 and Ryan Pressley's roster spot, along with a few of Swarzak's swing starts, is that worth it?

*I'm aware that "Devil's Advocate" is synonymous with "argumentative jerk"-but it's not a position I hold so much as a question I'm pondering, so I'd rather not be stuck to it. Just think it's worth the thought exercise and would love to hear the input of others.

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

To play devil's advocate* here: Isn't a major league training room, surrounded by older teammates who focus on their bodies, and with the team able to closely monitor his diet exactly where you'd want a raw, out of shape guy like this?

Wouldn't the best way to touch up the mechanics that have evidently given him trouble since he's come stateside be to have him pitch consistent bullpen sessions under the watchful eyes of (I would hope) the two best pitching coaches and best medical staff in the organization?

Based on Badler's description and some of the other things I've seen, he seems like a prime candidate to lose a season to injury sometime in the near future. Maybe he'd be better off "losing a season" to improved fitness and mechanics. If the only cost is $50,000 and Ryan Pressley's roster spot, along with a few of Swarzak's swing starts, is that worth it?

*I'm aware that "Devil's Advocate" is synonymous with "argumentative jerk"-but it's not a position I hold so much as a question I'm pondering, so I'd rather not be stuck to it. Just think it's worth the thought exercise and would love to hear the input of others.

No problem with the Devil's Advocate thing :)

But getting him on a major league roster would be the equivalent of getting Hudson Boyd on a major league roster a season ago. He is that bad.
-----

#9 Hugh Morris

Hugh Morris

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

No problem with the Devil's Advocate thing :)

But getting him on a major league roster would be the equivalent of getting Hudson Boyd on a major league roster a season ago. He is that bad.

I've seen the numbers and I trust Badler, I've got no problem believing he's somewhere between Shooter Hunt and during-surgery Nick Blackburn on the awful scale... but given what the Yankees gave up for him and what his scouting report coming out was-he sounds like a player who could make a push for the Twins Top 10 prospect list as early as next season (aided by the graduations of Meyer, Sano, etc). Assuming that the bullpen is kept the same as last year, he'd be blocking a MR without a ton of upside (Thielbar, etc) as I assume Tonkin will get the promotion.

Is a benefit of being an awful team for 3 years in a row that you can get away with a 24-man roster while playing towards the future? I guess the only reason I ask is that Omar seems like a somewhat unique case. He's still only 21, was well-regarded enough to get a nice sized signing bonus from a team quite active in the Latin sphere and reversing his apparent (potentially fixable?) propensity for future injury may negate the damage done to his development by missing a year.

Ignoring the specifics of the pitcher (broad strokes: Is awful, fitness likely to lead to future injury but is correctable) and assuming only extremely low leverage usage -or even zero usage-how high would the prospect ceiling have to be to be worth the roster spot for a year?

#10 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:15 AM

Will someone take Alex Wimmers? I like Alex Wimmers. I can't explan it. I just do. I'd also rather see Eric Fryer than Colabello dropped from the 40 to make room for another FA signing or rule 5 draft pick-up.

#11 Marta Shearing

Marta Shearing

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:44 AM

The Twins will have to make a roster decision, unless they don't want to draft in the Rule 5.

Colabello, I imagine.

Thank god

#12 Marta Shearing

Marta Shearing

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:49 AM

Will someone take Alex Wimmers? I like Alex Wimmers. I can't explan it. I just do. I'd also rather see Eric Fryer than Colabello dropped from the 40 to make room for another FA signing or rule 5 draft pick-up.

Its hard to imagine anyone keeping him on their ML roster for a year, but stranger things have happened.

#13 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:46 AM

I've seen the numbers and I trust Badler, I've got no problem believing he's somewhere between Shooter Hunt and during-surgery Nick Blackburn on the awful scale... but given what the Yankees gave up for him and what his scouting report coming out was-he sounds like a player who could make a push for the Twins Top 10 prospect list as early as next season (aided by the graduations of Meyer, Sano, etc). Assuming that the bullpen is kept the same as last year, he'd be blocking a MR without a ton of upside (Thielbar, etc) as I assume Tonkin will get the promotion.

Is a benefit of being an awful team for 3 years in a row that you can get away with a 24-man roster while playing towards the future? I guess the only reason I ask is that Omar seems like a somewhat unique case. He's still only 21, was well-regarded enough to get a nice sized signing bonus from a team quite active in the Latin sphere and reversing his apparent (potentially fixable?) propensity for future injury may negate the damage done to his development by missing a year.

Ignoring the specifics of the pitcher (broad strokes: Is awful, fitness likely to lead to future injury but is correctable) and assuming only extremely low leverage usage -or even zero usage-how high would the prospect ceiling have to be to be worth the roster spot for a year?

There are plenty of fat baseball players. You are not going to fix that makeup of the pitcher. The question should be projection of pitching ability. Upside of a 3 might not work with a pitch every 3 day person in the bullpen like Burton. Now, AAA protected means the could draft him and stick him on the AAA roster. As the disasyer pitcher that could work

#14 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,631 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:37 AM

I'm reasonable sure Wimmers will be safe though, not so much because of his production or level of experience, but because he's a starter, and I don't think most clubs will believe a guy with no MLB experience comming off TJ surgery can last an entire season at the majors. I'm more worried about Oliveros though, you can protect a bullpen guy a little more.

I think a lot of people are puzzled that Fryer is on the 40-man, but he probably won't be removed simply because he is the only defensive catcher on the team right now.

#15 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:50 AM

Not sure if it has been widely publicized, but Wimmers had another procedure on the TJ reconstructed elbow to "decompress" the nerve (which is sitting right there 1/8th of an inch from the new tendon) this off-season. What exactly was hurting the nerve was not mentioned but likely was connective tissue due to the TJ surgery rather than bone fragments (both possibilities.) Not sure if anyone in their right mind would take a flyer on a guy who a. did not pitch much in pro ball other than 50-60 innings in high A really to make a decision on whether he can pitch and b. do not know whether he can pitch in ST to even have the time to make a decision on whether to keep him or not. Very very hard to see.

Pat Dean, Adrian Salcedo and AJ Achter (in this order) are the most likely Twins to get drafted in the MLB portion of the draft, but I would not bet the house on it.

Re: Fryer and 40 man roster. Fryer is on the 40-man because of the split contract. Not sure whether the Twins would violate the contract if they remove him (he has no options, so he would essentially get DFA'd if removed.) Not exactly sure how this works and whether they can do it before ST ends. Same situation with Wood last season who was on the 40-man but on the 60 day DL for most of the season before he got released late in the season.
-----