Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins Chasing Top Catcher Jarrod Saltalmacchia?

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#1 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

http://www.mlbtrader..._medium=twitter

I would be all for 2 for 20 on him. As I said in the McCann thread, it'd be great to slow play Pinto. If Mauer was catching full-time, Pinto would've been in AAA all year anyways.

#2 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:40 AM

That would be a complete waste of money when the Twins need SP more than a catcher. They could sign John Buck or Kurt Suzuki to a 1yr deal for a couple of million if they thought they needed another catcher.
If they are signing another catcher shouldn't they be trying to give away Doumit for a PTBNL? I wouldn't mind a Pinto/Buck time share.

#3 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:42 AM

Here's the Globe story, written by Nick Cafardo:

http://www.bostonglo...hhFO/story.html

And here's the money quote:

7. Jarrod Saltalamacchia, C, free agent — Salty is still very much on the Twins’ radar as they try to replace Joe Mauer after his move to first base. Saltalamacchia could get a three-year deal in the $30 million range, which would seem to be a no-brainer for a team looking for a switch-hitting, power-hitting catcher at age 28.

Saltalamacchia is a 28-year-old switch-hitting catcher who has hit 55 home run over the last three years with the Red Sox (which explains why this report is coming from a Boston newspaper). His OPS over those 3 years is 763, which would've been second on the Twins last year. Overall, those numbers about match what Ryan Doumit did back in 2012, which is very solid.

This surprises me. I'm not surprised that they would try to sign a catcher, but it surprises me that they would commit that kind of time and dollars to a catcher with Josmil Pinto on the verge of coming up. I guess I see two possibilities:

1) The Twins just really like the "half-time" arrangement that they had the last couple years with Doumit and Mauer, and would look to do that with Pinto and Saltalamacchia. It woudl keep both well-rested, and both can hit enough to man the DH spot when they're not catching. I think you could say the same about AJ, who the Twins have also been linked to.

The other way this works is for Saltalamacchia and Doumit (if he can catch) to split time this year, giving Pinto some time in AAA, and then Pinto takes Doumit's spot on the roster when his contract ends at the end of this year.

2) I wonder if they would sign Saltalamacchia and then make Pinto available in a trade for young pitching? For whatever reason, the Twins have never seemed to be very high on Pinto. They could view now as a "sell high" opportunity.

With catcher Brian McCann signing yesterday with the Yankees for $85 million over five years, Saltalamacchia is the best remaining catcher on the free agent market. In the Offseason Handbook, we estimated he would sign for 3 years and $24 million, and there was a lot of internal debate about that number. It'll be interesting to see if the Twins would be willing to bear what the market will bear.

I'd love to see it, and not just because it isn't my money. To me, signing Saltalamacchia would represent a proactive instead of reactive move, giving the Twins some flexibility and time, as well as improving the offense. I'd still rather they go after pitching, but it's rare to nab a guy who is just 28 years old in free agency, especially one with Saltalamacchia's performance record. If this doesn't get in the way of adding another pitcher (and I don't think it does), it's a savvy move.

Edited by John Bonnes, 24 November 2013 - 09:59 AM.

#4 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:42 AM

Really? A complete waste? I guess we'll see what you think in June, if we don't sign another catcher.

#5 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

If #2 is the case, maybe they feel strongly about a catching prospect in the draft or Stuart Turner in a couple seasons.

#6 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

The thing that makes me concerned about Salty is this.

He's a Free Agent and Boston is shopping for a catcher. Either... He doesn't want to return to the World Series champions or the World Series champions don't want him back.

I'm passing.
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#7 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

If the Twins sign a catcher that makes every pitcher better, wouldn't it be helpful? I don't think any of the current three catchers is close to average defensively. I guess the fourth Fryer must be or he wouldn't be on the roster. Maybe Pinto and Herrmann can get to average and we know where Doumit ranks.

Is it possible that our young pitchers will develop better under a good catcher? Is Saltalamacchia the catcher?

http://www.beyondthe...ching-interview

#8 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

This isn't getting fixed in one off season, sign anybody that makes the team better and Salty would make the team better. Still plenty of money left for pitching and any other good players he can find, the key word is good and not more aaaa type guys.
This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

#9 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

I'm guessing they are just kicking tires, but I like this move. Salty and Doumit, then Salty and Pinto. It's great to add power at catcher and DH. This won't impact our search for starting pitching, we have all kinds of money available. The problem with pitching is finding value, not money.

#10 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...d-saltalmacchia

#11 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

I would sign him for 3/30. He's a good player and it solves the problem at catcher and possibly gives the Twins a trade asset in Pinto.

#12 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

The thing that makes me concerned about Salty is this.

He's a Free Agent and Boston is shopping for a catcher. Either... He doesn't want to return to the World Series champions or the World Series champions don't want him back.

I'm passing.

I need to Clarify... I'm not passing... I'll take him and say welcome aboard...

He's not my first choice... Is a better way to put it.

I'm still pro AJ.
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#13 whatever54

whatever54

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

With our primary catching options now being Doumit, Pinto and maybe Hermann I can't see how you don't at least consider what's on the free agent market. How does Salty's addition subtract from this team? Even if Pinto develops into the catch we're hoping for, adding Salty or even AJ is still a very prudent decision.

#14 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

Exactly, it took a while but someone finally got the point across. It's about getting better. This move would make us better. Can I measure it and tell you how much? No, but it makes us better and it still gives us money to sign some pitching.

#15 mnfireman

mnfireman

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

I say do it. He seems to be improving every year and there is some guy named Mauer who can work with him a little bit also.

#16 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

If we sign Salty, 1 of 2 things will happen
1 He has a good season and we trade his undervalue contract for a package of prospects.
2.He has a bad season and we have to keep him.

But by signing him,the team is sending a message that they are ready to spend on quality...

#17 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

Well I guess my concern is that thus far this off-season most pitchers have been going for reasonable prices while the position players have been getting overpaid. Seeing as the Twins need pitching more than anything (or any team) they should be devoting their efforts to that front.

#18 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

If we sign Salty, 1 of 2 things will happen
1 He has a good season and we trade his undervalue contract for a package of prospects.
2.He has a bad season and we have to keep him.

But by signing him,the team is sending a message that they are ready to spend on quality...

The Twins don't generally trade guys when they are at their peak value. Lately they've been selling low.

#19 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

Salty really only hits well from the left side; I'd worry that TF could drain some of that power. I'd honestly like to spend money elsewhere.

#20 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 756 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

Salty has experience being on a winner which can hopefully add to the environment the Twins are trying to create on the team next season. The question is will the Twins only sign 1 pitcher as a result and then go dumpster diving for another or will they still be able and willing to sign 2 pitchers this offseason.

#21 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:39 PM

The Twins don't generally trade guys when they are at their peak value. Lately they've been selling low.

Maybe that is something they need to look at...
some famouse manager said in the early 1900s it is better to trade a guy 1 year to early , then to trade him 1 year to late..(Connie M.) Also look at Tampa and there system , trade them 2 years before,why,because if they have a bad year they can still bring him back and get a good year out of them and trade the player on the upside rather then on down swing...Just sayin

#22 jm3319

jm3319

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

Makes sense to me. Helps the team now, and buys time for Pinto to develop more. And it's only $10 M a year. The Twins will still have truckloads of cash to put towards pitching

#23 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

A colossal mistake. The Twins need pitching.

#24 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:07 PM

A colossal mistake. The Twins need pitching.

You sir are correct we need pitching, but sadly we need more then just 3 quality new starters to compete.Im not completly sold on Salty as our answer to catching position especially if it is 3-4 years, but it is a start, if we can add a quality catcher and a couple of starters who are 2nd tier...aka... Garza,Jimenez type ,we have a shot at getting to .500

#25 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 756 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:35 PM

Salty did strike out in 30% of his at bats last year. just wanted to point that out. seems a bit much.

#26 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:07 PM

Agree that Salty for 3-years would be a mistake. He doesn't get on base, drive in runs or throw out base-runners. He does, strike out a ton. I could argue that Pinto is better in each of those areas, right now! The Twins seem to place an extreme value on pitch-framing and handling the staff, strengths of Mauer and alleged weaknesses of Pinto. My question, if Mauer was so good and it's so important, why has our pitching staff been at the bottom of the league for three years running?

Bring in a veteran like AJ on a 1-year, high-dollar deal to platoon with Pinto and season him at the big league level.

#27 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

Pitch-framing is only for pitchers with enough credibility to warrant it. The Twins' collection of flesh-covered iron-mikes pitch-framing is but a meaningless issue.

#28 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

I would be a big fan of this move. Do it.

#29 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

For free agent targets, he may be a good one, not in terms of ability or lack of ability but sign ability. Having won a championship and without having a long tenure with his pervious team, I'd suspect his number one priority is getting playing time and getting paid, something the Twins can offer. I don't think his signing would prohibit the Twins from signing pitching, my biggest concern is Pinto's playing time.

#30 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:53 PM

I think the Twins could use another catcher because I'm not sold on Pinto yet and I don't want Doumit catching at all. The length of contract Saltalamacchia will get gives me some pause.

The money the Twins might spend on a catcher shouldn't get in the way of their search for pitching.