Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Here we go again, Duensing & Swarzak told to prepare to start...

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:15 PM

Duplicate post, didnt see the other containging the same info. plz delete mods :D

Edited by Trevor0333, 20 November 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#2 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:20 AM

I don't see the other one . . .

#3 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:28 AM

i dont see the other one either...

#4 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:55 AM

Anyway, of course this is terribly stupid. Duensing is done as a starter, and Swarzak should be considered to move back further in the bullpen as an MR and not a damn starter again!

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:25 AM

Anyway, of course this is terribly stupid. Duensing is done as a starter, and Swarzak should be considered to move back further in the bullpen as an MR and not a damn starter again!

If they were choosing to go this route all along, why not just keep Duke Welker? At least he had a live arm and a K rate suggesting he had at least a shot at a significant bullpen role. Madness.

#6 Marta Shearing

Marta Shearing

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:45 AM

And my faith in this organization continues to go down. The patheticness is mind numbing.

#7 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:08 AM

Where is the link? Source?

#8 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,432 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

From Twitter:

• Mike Berardino ‏@MikeBerardino 12h
    TR says he told Duensing and Swarzak to "be prepared to do both" start and relieve in 2014

He actually doesn't mention Swarzak and Duensing in his Twins Now Blog - that's more about Kris Johnson:

() Ryan said Johnson, a former teammate of Mike Pelfrey’s at Wichita State, throws 90-92 mph with a curve, slider and change.

“He’s a little bit of a rich man’s (Scott) Diamond when it comes to stuff,” Ryan said. “He’s a little bit bigger. His stuff is maybe a tick better. Now it’s a matter of whether he’s respond.”

Ryan said the hope is that Johnson, 29, will make the Twins’ big-league club in 2014.

“Why not?” Ryan said. “We’ve got to try something.”

http://blogs.twincit...-eddie-rosario/

And from the same post, for your general amusement:
  • () Ryan was asked about his sales pitch in luring free agents.“We’ve got openings,” he said. “We’ve got a bunch of guys in pencil. We don’t have a lot of guys in ink here.”
    And how is that going?
    “Some people may not want to play in the state of Minnesota,” he said. “Pitchers should want to come here. We all know that. We’ve got some payroll. We’ve also got a pretty good reputation. We’ll take our chances.”

and:

() Perkins said would be more than happy to make recruiting calls for the Twins as they try to rebuild their starting rotation, but added he is kept in the dark just like the rest of us.
“The hardest part is nothing really gets out about who we’re trying to get,” he said. “If somebody asked me to put in a good word, I would. If I was asked to help, I certainly would. They keep things pretty close to the vest. I end up following it like everyone else does. Information is tough to come by.”

Edited by JB_Iowa, 21 November 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#9 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,432 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

Re: Berardino Tweets.

I've been interviewed enough to know that things don't always come out of your mouth exactly the way you want them to. I also know that reporters aren't always precise in what they relate you've said.

So I'm pointing this one out primarily for amusement, not criticism:

• Mike Berardino ‏@MikeBerardino 12h
    TR: "We need to have Willingham and Doumit bounce back for sure. Diamond needs to bounce back. I’m counting on that. You can’t rely on it."

How can you count on something but not rely on it?

#10 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

I guess I don't like the idea, esp of Duensing. I sorta see why they at least want to give Swarzak another crack at it but it probably doesn't end well for him.

That said, I don't think this is the end of the world. The GM telling two long arms in the pen to be prepared to both start and relieve isn't that strange. See how the rotation shakes out first.

#11 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

Duensing is really not a long arm in the bullpen though. He is basically a LOOGY and that's fine. Swarzak should probably try some more crucial situations later in games and they can move Albers or Hendriks to the long relief role.

#12 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

To be fair, TR did also say that Duensing is "a possibility" to start in 2014, but "it’s not probable for me."

https://twitter.com/...332833394966529

Still not even sure why they would consider it at this point -- they absolutely don't need more starters like that. Without Swarzak and Duensing, they've already got 8 guys on the 40-man roster who, at best, should all be competing for the 5th starter spot, or otherwise in the pen/AAA.

"We've got to try something" was a disappointing quote. In the sense that we've cycled through AAA pitchers and relievers, we've been trying things for the last two seasons.

#13 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

:banghead:

#14 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

The real news in this story is that (unlike some potential rumors out there) it sounds like the Twins will offer arbitration to both.

As far as starting goes, I think that Duensing needs to stay in the pen, but Swarzak has been spot starting anyways and cannot be any worse than anyone not named Gibson or Correia or Pelfrey from last season's rotation so it would not hurt to give him a few starts at ST to see what he does.

Another point of view here is that both of the guys are just entering arbitration and starters make more $ than relievers, so I suspect there is some pressure from the players to start, to which the Twins say, "sure, we don't close the door" in order to be fair to them.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#15 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:04 AM

We all assumed we would get 3 starting pitchers this off-season and boy did we get them.

Kris Johnson
Brian Duensing
Anthony Swarzak

I am fine with the trade for Johnson. Just another AAAA arm at worst. I am fine with telling Duensing and Swarzak to prepare to start, it won't hurt them as relievers next year if that's what they end up doing. I just believe that the information TR is putting out there, saying things like I hope and expect guys like this to make the team/rotation in 2014. This tells me they are not planning to sign many pitchers. If they were planning on signing some FA pitchers, they wouldn't be telling quality relievers w/o options prepare to be starters and implying in the media that Johnson will be in the rotation if he does things the "Twins Way."

Here is an up to date list of our starting pitching prospects for the 2014 season:
Kevin Corriea*
Scott Diamond
Vance Worley
Sam Deduno*
Kyle Gibson
Alex Meyer
Kris Johnson
Brian Duensing
Anthony Swarzak
Andrew Albers
Trevor May
Logan Darnell
Liam Hendriks

*Almost definitely in 5 man rotation already for 2014.

This list contains 13 starting pitchers. There are only so many starting spots between MLB/AAA rosters. If they are planning on these guys all being starters, it really makes it look like we are only going to add one quality(hopefully) SP.

MLB:
Corriea
FA Signing
Deduno
Gibson
Diamond

RP: Duensing, Swarzak- not sure how we could keep them both as starters if they don't make MLB rotation.

AAA:
Meyer
May
Darnell
Albers
Johnson
Hendriks?

This is scary 3.0 folks.

#16 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:13 AM

Well there are a few decent FA starters that we could add but it's a lot like last year's class - a lot of meh. I'm hoping Ryan can add another young starter through a trade like he did last year and a college arm like Hoffman (unlikely) or Beede falls to us in the draft. That's the future. It really doesn't matter who starts this year so long as they don't block Gibson, Meyer or May.

Ryan's been linked to Arroyo and Nolasco already. So he clearly knows he needs to get more innings from his starters. Let's see what happens.

#17 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

• Members
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:14 AM

() Ryan was asked about his sales pitch in luring free agents.“We’ve got openings,” he said. “We’ve got a bunch of guys in pencil. We don’t have a lot of guys in ink here.”
And how is that going?
“Some people may not want to play in the state of Minnesota,” he said. “Pitchers should want to come here. We all know that. We’ve got some payroll. We’ve also got a pretty good reputation. We’ll take our chances.”

This doesn't really come off as a great sales pitch. In the end I think it's more how much he'll pay and not where they play.
This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

#18 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:22 AM

Can we stop "trying" something and start "doing" something? If you're "trying" Kris Johnson, it means you're pretty unsure. Why don't you go "do" something that is more likely to succeed.

I don't get the extreme level of cloak and dagger stuff. I would think letting it slip that you're interested in specific free agents would seem to only encourage more free agents to be interested in you. That stuff is leaking this year from the Twins more than usual and at least in the case of Garza and Arroyo, they have said interest is mutual.

Why wouldn't you let your best players help in recruiting? It just seems like another instance where the Twins don't use a free resource available to them. Hell, Perkins could call up Garza and say "Hey buddy, I know we both had beef with this club back in the day but things are different and I love it here, come get on the ground floor of this thing." The Tigers don't seem to have a problem with Torii Hunter recruiting Joe Nathan. The Tigers were still able to keep the huge Fielder/Kinsler trade on the QT.

#19 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

I can only hope TR considers this plan "D" and is making advance preparations for it, in case it becomes plan "A".........which the thought of makes me physically ill.

#20 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

Telling Swarzak and Duensing to be ready to start implies that one or more of the 5 rotation spots may be filled with starters worse than those two.

#21 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

Truly, the only way we will be blocking our developing prospect pitchers is if we sign 4 quality pitchers long term.

Corriea is off the books after 2014. I'm counting on Gibson to turn it around and for Meyer and May to make the rotation and stay in it during the next 12 months. This leaves 2 open spots in 2015. I'm praying we are adding a couple good FA pitchers on multi-year contracts to fill those holes next year as well as this year.

#22 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:38 AM

The 2015 rotation could be:

Meyer
Kazmir
Gibson
Hughes
May

Can you imagine that possibility? I can. The Twins can't.

#23 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:41 AM

Haven't really heard much about Hughes anywhere yet. I like him at TF a lot. Not really a big Kazmir fan, think he's a big risk and overrated b/c of his strike outs. Rather they got a guy like Nolasco or Arroyo than Kazmir. But yeah, the future is the young guys.

#24 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

Our ever expanding pile of guys who can start games is becoming an embarrassment of riches.

#25 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

• Ryan said the hope is that Johnson, 29, will make the Twins’ big-league club in 2014.

“Why not?” Ryan said. “We’ve got to try something.”

Quotes like this are what disturb me about the move. If Johnson was picked up simply for minor-league depth, or to add another emergency reinforcement to the mix, fine. But to actually few him as a viable contender for an MLB rotation spot? Yikes.

#26 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

But to actually few him as a viable contender for an MLB rotation spot? Yikes.

Why not? They've got to try something.

#27 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

A concerning undertone is that it seems to mean that they aren't going to get a decent free agent, but I hope it's a "just in case."

The guys they've "penciled in" are likely Correia, Gibson, Diamond, Deduno, Johnson/Swarzack/Worley/Duensing.

#28 Marta Shearing

Marta Shearing

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

I absolutely love when Ryan goes out of his way to say nobody wants to play here. Don't they consider themselves the model organization? They have a beautiful ballpark. April is cold. Big deal. Players dont want to come here for ONE reason. The Twins NEVER make the highest offer. PERIOD.

#29 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

If either Duensing or Swarzak start a game for the 2014 Twins, Ryan has failed. Period.

#30 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:33 PM

If either Duensing or Swarzak start a game for the 2014 Twins, Ryan has failed. Period.

Once again, the Chief so effortlessly expresses, in one line, what countless others have felt in their rambling and redundant threads and posts. :)