Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins prospect Eddie Rosario tested positive for banned substance?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...anned-substance

#2 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

Woah.

#3 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

Short of another Tommy John surgery for a pitcher, this is up there with frustrating news.

#4 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,014 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

If it is medication for rehab, who the hell is letting him take it?

#5 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,429 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

If it is medication for rehab, who the hell is letting him take it?

He ordered them online from some guy with the Twitter handle v_conte_was_framed, who assured him the pills were legit.

#6 chamoman

chamoman

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

What a bummer.<br><br>I am not a professional translator, but perhaps this is a little more accurate than Google Translator:<br><br>

The General Manager of the Indians, Frankie Thon, explained how he heard the news. “Eddie Rosario called me about three days ago and told me he had some bad news, that he tested positive in this testing thing, that supposedly his arm hurt and he took some pills and tested positive for some type of ‘drug’.  He has a 50-game suspension and he understood that he couldn’t play in the Winter League,” Thom said.

<br>

#7 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

Well that sucks.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,170 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

There may not be any confirmation coming soon assuming that there is an appeal. Maybe that's already happened. It's hard to know. Definitely frustrating, but the details would be the interesting part. Not all 50 game suspensions are created equal.

#9 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

It sucks, but better this year than next year. He wouldn't be up in the majors til June anyways, and there was a good chance he wouldn't be up for more than a cup of coffee anyways (unless Dozier got hurt)

#10 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

I am trying to accentuate any positive and what comes to mind is that he has performed at every level and there is not a "Melkyesque" spike in his stats. Hopefully this is a learning experience that keeps him on the straight and narrow for the rest of his career. Also, in response to Chamoman, I speak Spanish fluently and Google translate did well on that translation. Those online tools are much better than they once were. The Sport Live PR article then goes on to say that Rosario told Thon that he would not be able to play for him anymore this winter. Thon informed him that the rule had changed, he could continue playing in PR this winter and that his suspension would begin at the start of the minor league season. Thon intends to get him back in his lineup.

#11 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

I am trying to accentuate any positive and what comes to mind is that he has performed at every level and there is not a "Melkyesque" spike in his stats.

I highly doubt it, it's not like last season Rosario came out of nowhere, he had very strong numbers in 2011 and 2012 as well, so if he was on some sort of "juice" he would most certainly have tested hot prior to this one.

#12 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

We got to teach him how to use a masking agent next time.

Anyhow, I'm sure he's not the first guy who got hurt and took something he shouldn't have. It's not an excuse but it sounds like he took the drugs to get back rather than perform better. That's a bright side, I suppose.

#13 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 279 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

It certainly bumps back his timeline. I doubt we'll see him at Target Field this year now. I also don't doubt that when he returns from his 50-game suspension that he starts the season back in New Britain.

#14 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

This is a real punch in the groin. Better than Sano testing positive I suppose.

On the very, very dim bright side, at least we have a clearer picture of what 2B at the MLB level will look like for now. Here's to hoping that Dozier performs.

#15 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

That will hurt his pocket book big time.

#16 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

That will hurt his pocket book big time.

Will it? Minor leaguers don't exactly make that much, I'm guessing it will cost him about 10k tops.

#17 tellis205

tellis205

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

Hurt's his trade value. He was on the block for pitching help.

#18 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

I see this as good news. Now he is less likely to be traded during the off-season. He wasn't going to land a difference maker on the mound anyway so I'd prefer to keep him.

#19 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,213 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

I think that the Twins need to ingrain their minor leaguers not to take anything even if their relatives or friends give it to them without checking with the Twins' doctors. I'd love to know what kind of substance it was.

#20 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:16 PM

Was he really though?
He didn't exactly tear up AA, so his trade value wouldn't have been very large at this point IMO.

As much as we all love him, we must realize he isn't even a top 100 guy on the majority of lists. (edit: I am wrong, I bet he will crack the top 100 on most lists, still though I think they would be potentially selling low on him at this point)

Edited by SpiritofVodkaDave, 19 November 2013 - 02:19 PM.

#21 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

I think that the Twins need to ingrain their minor leaguers not to take anything even if their relatives or friends give it to them without checking with the Twins' doctors. I'd love to know what kind of substance it was.

I certainly wouldn't trust anything Twins' doctors told me. Rest and rehab followed by TJS whether I have an arm injury, a sprained ankle, or a headache.

#22 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

Why is a ballplayer practicing medicine in the first place?

#23 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

Will it? Minor leaguers don't exactly make that much, I'm guessing it will cost him about 10k tops.

Right. And he'll be stuck there that much longer, setting back is call up time.

#24 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:20 PM

Why is a ballplayer practicing medicine in the first place?

They've been doing it for years. A friend of mine's kid pitched for the Twins in the minors, hurt his arm, and was told by both Radke and Milton to take steroids to heal.

#25 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

They've been doing it for years. A friend of mine's kid pitched for the Twins in the minors, hurt his arm, and was told by both Radke and Milton to take steroids to heal.

This is a very slippery slope... a friend of mine's kid, steroids, radke, etc.

#26 Jdosen

Jdosen

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

Frustrating, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not the worst thing that could have happened. When I saw on Twitter "Twins top prospect test positive" (paraphrasing), I was horrified it was one of the big 3, but thank goodness it's not. Obviously you'd like to avoid this thing, but better this year than later on. And better to have it happen before the season starts than in the belly of the beast. He will still get a big-league invite to ST and get all that work in, no?

#27 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

Well, that sucks. He was a guy I was really excited to see next year.

Sometimes you never know what will derail a kid's timeline, it's why you can't count on these things.

#28 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,170 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

It certainly bumps back his timeline. I doubt we'll see him at Target Field this year now. I also don't doubt that when he returns from his 50-game suspension that he starts the season back in New Britain.

I think that was happening anyway... This certain makes that all but official.

#29 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,213 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

I think that was happening anyway... This certain makes that all but official.

It is official. Even for a day. When you are suspended you have to start the season at the level you were. I think that was the reason that Vargas missed have season. He had to start at E-town instead of Beloit...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#30 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:59 PM

It is official. Even for a day. When you are suspended you have to start the season at the level you were. I think that was the reason that Vargas missed have season. He had to start at E-town instead of Beloit...

Thanks, that's interesting- quite a substantial penalty in his case.

It's amazing how players don't think about how they have to have these supplements, etc approved. I heard a report from one camp, I believe the Twins but don't remember for sure, that said they do everything they can to tell people that every single thing they take has to be approved by trainers, then they still find players taking stuff their cousin recommends, etc. It must really be frustrating for the organizations.