Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Nolasco, Garza or Arroya?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

So should the Twins sign 1 or both of these pitchers? With the Giants just agreeing to terms with Tim Hudson they should be out of the running for either pitchers and if the Twins claim to want to spend on pitching they should move fast. They should put offers on the table and see is willing to sign now.
Arroyo should not need more than a 2 yr deal to sign.
Nolasco is trying to convince teams he deserves a 5 yr deal, I would only go 3 with an option for a 4th yr.
Garza will definitely get a 5 yr deal from someone.
The Twins have been sitting on piles of cash for too long and would be best suited to get 2 of these pitchers signed ASAP.

#2 Siehbiscuit

Siehbiscuit

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

The Twins will have to go 4 for Nolasco. We should go 3 with a 4th, but he wont come here unless he gets 4 guaranteed or the money is more per year.

#3 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

I have no idea what it would take to sign any of these guys but I think most of that pile of cash will stay firmly stuck in Jim Pohlads back pocket. Prove me wrong please!
This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

#4 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

Nolasco probably takes 4 with a 5th. I'd rather have Garza for 5, even if it is 15+ per. Arroyo 2 13 or 14 per would be a great get in my opinion. He would immediately become the ace and work with the youngsters coming up. If we get non of the three, I will be :(

#5 zchrz

zchrz

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

Ideally I would like to see one of Garza/ Ubaldo, one of Arroyo/ Kazmir/ Hughes, and a flier like Johan/ Niemann.
"Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

#6 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

Arroyo and one of Garza, Nolasco or Kazmir.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#7 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

Arroyo and Garza would make me absolutely ecstatic. I guess that would make all of us ecstatic.

Those are the guys I want. My hopes are already up, but I am fully prepared for them to be shattered.

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

How about all 3, but I'd take Kazmir ahead of all of them...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#9 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 756 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

Arroyo and Garza would make me absolutely ecstatic. I guess that would make all of us ecstatic.

Those are the guys I want. My hopes are already up, but I am fully prepared for them to be shattered.

I would be so ecstatic that i would want to follow the Twins example and spend some money on season tickets even though i dont live in Minnesota.

#10 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 756 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:28 PM

Also....
Garza should get 5 years
Nolasco should get at least 4 with option
Arroyo looks like he will get 3 years if you read mlbtraderumors and the pioneer press

I think my preference would be in order Garza, Arroyo, Nolasco

Arroyo is even more realistic if SF is really out of the picture now as they did want 2 back end pitchers. I would think they want an even lower cost 5th starter though.

#11 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

Not sure why this is in general baseball, not in the Twins specific discussions.

If I were a team, I'd consider Nolasco the best investment of the three. Garza can't stay healthy enough to really warrant a 5 or 6 year deal, and definitely not at the money he'll want (reportedly $17M+ per). Arroyo is nowhere near the other two in talent, production, or stuff, nevermind that he's elderly in pitching life cycles. Nolasco is no Anibal Sanchez, but I think the deal he got from Detroit is a solid number for Nolasco.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#12 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

Not sure why this is in general baseball, not in the Twins specific discussions.

If I were a team, I'd consider Nolasco the best investment of the three. Garza can't stay healthy enough to really warrant a 5 or 6 year deal, and definitely not at the money he'll want (reportedly $17M+ per). Arroyo is nowhere near the other two in talent, production, or stuff, nevermind that he's elderly in pitching life cycles. Nolasco is no Anibal Sanchez, but I think the deal he got from Detroit is a solid number for Nolasco.

Nolasco is a terrible investment. He just hasn't been very good for a long time. Do you think he had one lucky season or 4 unlucky seasons. Arroyo has continuously outproduced him and is likely the top target for the Twins because of fewer years.

#13 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:08 PM

Nolasco is an upgrade over our current pitchers in that he is slightly above average.

Kazmir and Garza would delight me. Arroyo as a third pickup would stun me.

Did not believe Garza would be open to coming back. That would be sweet.
I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

#14 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

Nolasco is a terrible investment. He just hasn't been very good for a long time. Do you think he had one lucky season or 4 unlucky seasons. Arroyo has continuously outproduced him and is likely the top target for the Twins because of fewer years.

For the Twins, sure, but I'm saying in the market overall, Nolasco getting 5/75 or something similar would be around where he should be and not a terrible overpay.

#15 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:23 PM

For the Twins, sure, but I'm saying in the market overall, Nolasco getting 5/75 or something similar would be around where he should be and not a terrible overpay.

5/75 for a guy that typically puts up 4.50 ERA's? that's an overpay regardless of the team.

#16 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

5/75 for a guy that typically puts up 4.50 ERA's? that's an overpay regardless of the team.

I understand that it isn't quantifiable, but I know that he was one guy I disliked seeing pitch against the Braves. I shouldn't have felt that way, based on the numbers, but it always felt like he kept the Braves off tempo all game and once he lost it, he was left in to take a beating. I know he's hit 200 innings only twice, but he has the feel of Javy Vazquez to me in his pitching - someone whose numbers don't match up to what you see game-to-game.

#17 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:46 PM

Excellent comp but he only managed a couple of season with <4.00 ERA after a nice run with the Expos. Not something I would want to throw a lot of money at despite his awesome season with the braves.

#18 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,014 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:01 AM

Anyone paying Nolasco X number of years and 40+ million dollars is making a big mistake. How is this not blatantly clear? I am so confused.

I would see if Garza is interested in 4 years and $72 million. I am always much more willing to pay more per year than to extend the years.

Arroyo should be offered 2 and $24 million.

#19 bphat1

bphat1

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

Arroyo wants a 3 year deal. He said on MLB network that his durability and consistant numbers should prove he's not aging like other pitchers do. And he's got a point. He doesn't throw hard and hasn't had any serious injury concerns that I can see. If we could give him 3 years with a front-loaded contract, making the 3rd year the lowest salaried year or based on incentives, I would do that in a heartbeat.

Nolasco getting 5/$75M is pure insanity. He is NOT A. Sanchez. Doesn't have the same stuff or same track record. Due to the lack of good pitchers on the market, I'm sure he'll get something like 4/$50M or even possibly 4/$60M if someone is desparate (like the Twins?) but if he were a FA last year he would be looking at something like the 3/$33M Lohse got. He had a good year at the right time and is in the FA market at just the right time as well. I say stay away unless we can't get anyone else to come here.

#20 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

How does Jason Vargas get 4 years 32 million, that really scares me. He is a slightly better version of Kevin Corriea & that maybe a stretch...

Wow

#21 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

Give Arroyo a 3yr deal $35M. There has been so much talk how he helped out the young Cincinnati Reds pitchers and was a great mentor for them. He would the perfect veteran for the Twins with Gibson and Meyer to help them out.

#22 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

Spend $40 million on starting pitching, sign A.J., and maybe get a Doumit clone...who can really play the field. So, $50 million spent in 2014. $40 million spent in 2015/2016. $25 million spent in 2017.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#23 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:29 PM

How about all 3, but I'd take Kazmir ahead of all of them...

Quite so.

#24 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

Anyone paying Nolasco X number of years and 40+ million dollars is making a big mistake. How is this not blatantly clear? I am so confused.

I would see if Garza is interested in 4 years and $72 million. I am always much more willing to pay more per year than to extend the years.

Arroyo should be offered 2 and $24 million.

I agree Shane. I would rather pay more over a smaller period of time to make sure we don't impede ourselves from being able to sign a young stud long-term. Also, if we go 4 for 72 i'd like to see a 5th year team option at the end. If Garza is throwing great, by 2018 we will definitely be competing, so it'd prob serve us well to still have the guy, even if it costs us 18 million.