Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Short Memory: Twins Sign Jason Bartlett

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick tweeted out this morning that the Twins have signed former shortstop Jason Bartlett to a minor league deal which includes a spring training invite.

Bartlett, who is a career .271/.336/.366 hitter, did not play in 2013.

I assume this is a prelude to bringing back Johan Santana.

#2 Jdosen

Jdosen

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

Nothing to be worked up over, yet still eyeroll- and laughter-inducing.
I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamso...s.blogspot.com/
twitter: @dose17

#3 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

"Super Bowl homie", or maybe "we're coming, we're comin". Not sure which applies here.

Not sure why this is a better idea than giving the young guys they have a shot, or finding a AAA/AAAA player that has been blocked. But, this is one minor move. Let's hope this is not a prelude to going after old guys, and not rebuilding.
Lighten up Francis....

#4 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

The Twins need depth at the position. They seem to have decided that Escobar is a utility infielder and they don't have any prospects at shortstop that could otherwise challenge Florimon, so I'm OK with this. I'd rather they sign a shortstop that's an obvious upgrade over Florimon, but whatever.

#5 jctwins

jctwins

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:37 AM

This is the kind of serious move I think we all have been waiting for.

#6 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

jctwins, if the like button was still showing up for me, I'd like that.....
Lighten up Francis....

#7 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...-Jason-Bartlett

#8 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

They still might sign someone else (even though the SS market is after the the top two). This is a minor league deal, if it works…genius. If not, no big deal. My question is, what was Jason doing last year? AAA, independent, Japan, rehab, smelling the roses?

#9 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

They still might sign someone else (even though the SS market is after the the top two). This is a minor league deal, if it works…genius. If not, no big deal. My question is, what was Jason doing last year? AAA, independent, Japan, rehab, smelling the roses?

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

Nice, fun signing. His wife is from Rochester. I want to say that he lives there in the offseason as he's done a lot for the Red Wings in the offseasons the last several years, even since he left the organization.

I am certain he's being promised nothing. He basically hasn't played for two years. The Twins have some options for Rochester infield, like Beresford, Santana, etc., but if he makes the AAA roster, would be a nice story, and if he doesn't, oh well. And, if he makes the Twins roster at some point in 2014, that would be a great story!

#11 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

I'm pretty ok with this, it at least has some upside.

#12 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

Though this is--just that--a minor deal. I think this should subdue the notion that Gardy was ill-disposed with Bartlett.

#13 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

I hope this is a sign that the Twins will bring back Matt Garza (and Eduardo Morlan)

I see this as a potential AAA depth signing, and somewhat redundant to the re-signing of Doug Bernier. If Bartlett plays for the Twins in 2014, unless he is back to his crazy Rays season form, it would mean that 2014 was a waste too...

#14 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

He's maybe a replacement for Ray Olmedo.

#15 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

He was last good in 2009. He won't want to end up in Rochester so there is nothing to do this. Can't be, right?

But . . . on a typical Shane note, if he DOES want to stay in Rochester . . . James Beresford, Danny Santana, and Eddie Rosario will have to make room, or something, for a washed up player. Typical.

#16 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

Any idea if his contract will have one of those clauses where if he isn't added to the major league roster by X date he can ask to be released?

#17 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

I'm surprised Bartlett could only find a minor league deal. Smart on his part since if he finds any sort of shred of his former self, he's going to unseat Florimon pretty easily. Bartlett was a plus defender whose bat had some upside.

#18 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

They probably make similar minor league free agent signings every winter. He isn't going to hold Rosario and Santana.

Rosario's defense may hold him back. They may decide he doesn't have the skill to play second defensively and move him to LF. If that happens, Bartlett's signing will not be the reason.

#19 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

Though this is--just that--a minor deal. I think this should subdue the notion that Gardy was ill-disposed with Bartlett.

I'm not sure how a minor league deal almost a decade later fixes the fact that Gardy chose Castro over him. I'm not sure anything fixes that stupidity.

#20 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:03 PM

Unless Dozier regresses or gets hurt I don't see Rozario at 2nd base anymore. I think he ends up back in the outfield after things shake out. I know Beresford doesn't hit the long ball but I like his defense better at second and I think he will be a good hitter as well. Santana I don;t know what to think. I really think Bartlet is a long shot but why not give him a shot? If he hangs out in Rochester anyway and has some baseball left in him maybe he makes our team or maybe if does well in AAA we can trade him who knows.

#21 Reider

Reider

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

I don't have a problem with the signing.

#22 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

I'm not sure how a minor league deal almost a decade later fixes the fact that Gardy chose Castro over him. I'm not sure anything fixes that stupidity.

I distinctly remember Gardy having mixed emotions over Bartlett being included in that trade. There is no stupidity to fix.

#23 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

It would be a mistake to move Rosario if he can field the position.

It is unlikely that Dozier's HR/OFB rate of 14.4% is sustainable. It is more than double his rate as a minor leaguer. The difference is 10 home runs.

It would be wise to see if Dozier's power is really a new skill before moving Rosario.

#24 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

I distinctly remember Gardy having mixed emotions over Bartlett being included in that trade. There is no stupidity to fix.

Agree. A team looks for long-term stability at short and Bartlett was becoming that guy. One of Smith's biggest mistakes.

If he's healthy I have no problem with Bartlett coming back as a utility guy, late inning SS/3B type.

#25 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

As I referenced with Castro - it had nothing to do with the trade and everything to do with indefensible decisions to send Bartlett to AAA in 2005 and 2006 in favor of giving several hundred at-bats to Juan Castro.

All because of some bizarre, as-yet-undefined lack of "middle infield leadership" that has hurt this team on more than one occasion.

#26 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:01 PM

I would rather watch the 2002 (or 2006 Twins) at their present age than the crap they've run out there the last three seasons. Bring on Johan!

#27 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 619 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:06 PM

Not sure i like him better than Pedro.

I think PF is a breakout candidate next season.

#28 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:27 PM

As I referenced with Castro - it had nothing to do with the trade and everything to do with indefensible decisions to send Bartlett to AAA in 2005 and 2006 in favor of giving several hundred at-bats to Juan Castro.

All because of some bizarre, as-yet-undefined lack of "middle infield leadership" that has hurt this team on more than one occasion.

So you're complaining about how he was handled before he became a star on our favorite team. It was indefensible, bizarre, and as-yet-undefined? All's well that ends well.

#29 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

I never claimed that it had; however, it does put to bed the notion that Gardy choose Castro based on some personal beef with Bartlett. Again, I'm not defending in any way the Castro move.

#30 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

I never claimed that it had; however, it does put to bed the notion that Gardy choose Castro based on some personal beef with Bartlett. Again, I'm not defending in any way the Castro move.

Whose to say whatever personal beef it was hasn't just died out over time? Or that Gardy didn't get much of a say in the matter?

It's clear Gardy didn't like something about Bartlett - and it couldn't have had any rational basis in talent or ability to play the game.