Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Dee Gordon future Twin?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

It seems like Dee Gordon is running out of time and positions with the Dodgers. He would be an upgrade at SS and would bring some much needed speed back into the lineup.

#2 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:05 PM

I don't trust inflated PCL stats for batters. Hard to see him as an upgrade over Florimon at all.

#3 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:26 PM

He would steal 50 bases if he had the opportunity to play everyday. He just needs a change of scenery and he could be a valuable piece to the puzzle of rebuilding the Twins.

#4 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

The SB could be a plus. From everything I've read, the defense could be a minus despite the tools. Another Florimon rehab project at bat and in the field, in other words. I wouldn't give up much for him.

#5 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

I love speed... I'll take him
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#6 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:27 AM

Makes sense. He can't hit and is a mediocre fielder at best. That said take a flyer on him. I don't trust Gardenhire to run him anyway.

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:46 AM

I'm good with Gordon, and I like thinking outside the box. The Dodgers are moving him to CF this winter, so if nothing else, he'd be a solid utility guy at a couple of positions. He's a minor upgrade on Florimon offensively, and a couple notches below him defensively. He's certainly got speed, and I like speed.

#8 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:55 AM

As a flier, maybe. BUT....not as a first plan for anything.
Lighten up Francis....

#9 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:28 AM

I agree with Mike. I would take a flier too. I love the speed aspect of his game but you need to be on base to utilize it. I don't want him learning from Segura on stealing first base.

Segura's baserunning adventures - YouTube

#10 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:39 AM

I'd be interested at minimal cost, though guys that can play SS usually have an inflated price.

I also don't trust Gardy to run him much. Top of the order guys don't usually get a green light with Mauer at the plate, likely to keep the middle infielders from crowding 2B, which is where Mauer likes to hit.

However, Gordon likely isn't a top the order guy, he might actually get more opportunities batting 8th or 9th. Florimon surprisingly lead the team in SB this year batting low in the order.

#11 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

If one could steal first, Gordon would be a star. I'm not interested at all

#12 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

How much impact would Dee Gordon have for the Twins? I suspect that, defense considered, it will be a wash with Florimon...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#13 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

How much impact would Dee Gordon have for the Twins? I suspect that, defense considered, it will be a wash with Florimon...

His old man would probably be the ace of our staff right now.

#14 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

If one could steal first, Gordon would be a star. I'm not interested at all

I'm not very interested either, but we're talking about replacing Florimon. Gordon has gotten on base at every level better than Florimon.

#15 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

A: Don't bother, hope Florimon doesn't regress and hope that Danny Santana emerges in AAA this year.
B: Sign him, and see what you can get in a Danny Santana trade (quite similar players, Santana two years youngers and has had CF experience in the past).

#16 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

How would that be a wash? Gordon stole 49 bases in 92 games at AAA. zyou would figure at least 35 in the majors at the minimum if he played 145-150 games.

#17 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

How would that be a wash?

The defense.

#18 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

Definitely not an upgrade. You guys just don't appreciate Florimon's defense. Gordon is already a liability with the stick, so no guarantee he's even any better offensively. In fact, I'd say they're pretty close regardless.

Edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse, 06 November 2013 - 07:50 PM.

#19 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

Yeah, Florimon's defense is pretty elite. And that part of his game is likely to not regress. That said, I don't mind the idea of Dee Gordon if his talent can mean that if the Twins decide to start Hicks in AAA, Gordon actually replaces Alex Presley. I am WAY in favor of that. Dear god. I would not trust Gordon to lead off, so Dozier-Mauer is the top, but that is an interesting scenario. Gordon starting in CF and being a backup middle infielder/4OF after Hicks is back? Sounds good. It isn't like his talent has run its course and he can't improve. Gordon and perhaps Kendrys Morales would be the only real position player additions I can see as being worthwhile (without going big for Choo or Ellsbury, etc.).

#20 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:19 PM

If you want speed I'd rather float a Hicks for Billy Hamilton swap in the Reds ears... That would probably seal Dozier staying & Rosario going back to the OF but if neither of Santana or Goodrum take charge why the heck not. Hamilton at #9 folllowed by Buxton would be comical amounts of speed back to back.

Rather than make a move for a SS they have invested in a lot of middle infielders lately, I think I'd prefer to see what becomes of Dannay Santana & Niko Goodrum next year before making a deal for another SS.