Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Minnesota Twins Roster & Payroll 2014

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...er-Payroll-2014

#2 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:56 AM

Since I see myself coming back here on a regular basis, I am going to re-post my suggestions from the end of the 2013 comments:

Love the page -- but is there any chance the site's right sidebar could be disabled for it? Lots of good info on the right side of the charts, but it gets obscured unless you scroll each table over... and then you can't see the left side of the chart!

If the right sidebar has to stay, maybe some kind of "mini-scroll" feature like the Baseball-Reference mobile site would be more workable (i.e. the left column(s) stay fixed as you "scroll" right to see more columns).

Either way, it's an awesome data source, and I applaud your efforts!

#3 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

I do agree with spycake about that scrolling issue.

Other than that it is just great.

#4 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

Revenues are in excess of $200 million.
Allegedly each MLB team is getting another $25 million for television revenue this year.

Looking at 54% of that starts looking a lot like $120 million or more.

Now I'm not one who is going to go ballistic if they don't spend every nickel of that, or even every $10 million, but they could clearly overpay to get Kazmir. That would tell agents and FAs they are serious and help sign and another good arm. That other arm HAS to be another with excellent SO rates.

#5 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

Updated to include Paul Molitor and the recently-signed minor leaguers.

#6 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,053 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:14 AM

I've talked to Brock and, for now, the sidebar has to stay. The next time the site undergoes sweeping changes (which he thinks will be during next season), the sidebar will go.

If you can deal with the scrolling, I've got a present for you - on the far right side (and it's currently only with the MLB guys) I've added a new column - Agents.

#7 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,053 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

Updated.

#8 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,053 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:26 PM

All of this week's moves have been reflected. Next update will involve the correct (or correct as it can get) Winter League rosters.

#9 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,053 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

Updated to include (assumed) Pelfrey figures.

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,081 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

For those who haven't used the Rosters and Payrolls yet, it is a tremendous resource for all things Twins. Contract information. Service time. Options. And much more. Check it out!

#11 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,053 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

Updated to included to addition of Suzuki. Both the Pelfrey and Suzuki signings are unofficial.

#12 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:41 AM

Updated to included to addition of Suzuki. Both the Pelfrey and Suzuki signings are unofficial.

I'm interested in seeing how you treat the pending Colabello move. Would he still have some affiliation/obligation to the Twins?... And where does the alleged $1M posting fee fit into the 2014 payroll (if at all)?

Edited by jokin, 21 December 2013 - 11:48 AM.

#13 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,053 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

If they get a million, I'll subtract it from the bottom... same as if they got money back in a trade.

#14 kemics

kemics

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:48 PM

Looking at the chart I can't help but think 2015 will still be the year the twins make a splash. With Correia, Willingham and Suzuki coming off they will save another $15 Million.

In theory with Sano debuting this year, and hopefully Buxton seeing time in September (if not before), they'll have 2 spots in the rotation up for grabs unless one of the current guys up for #5 shines. They can get that stud, or bring up May or Meyer.

Still too many gaps in the lineup and in the rotation in 2014, I see an improvement but not enough to win anything yet. They could surprise me and make another big signing this offseason, I don't think another arm is in the cards, but a SS maybe? Maybe get them close to the post season to get the engines moving for 2015.

#15 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,053 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

Good point, especially since there aren't going to be many big jumps in salary either.

Casey Fien will be a Super-2, but no other regulars should enter arbitration. (Dozier should fall short, I'm not considering Diamond or Worley "regulars".)

The likelihood, too, is that next year Buxton and Sano combined will make about half of what Plouffe does this year. Meyer too. That makes 2015-2017 a window where you have premium (hopefully) players at the minimum. By the time they need to be paid big money, Mauer's contract is off the books. (Though at the current rate, elite players will be making about $50m a year by then.)

#16 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

If they get a million, I'll subtract it from the bottom... same as if they got money back in a trade.

Thanks for that clarification, Jeremy. Assuming Colabello plays in Korea in 2014, do you have any idea if his return to US baseball at some future point has to go through the Twins, with some sort of pre-emptive rights?

#17 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,053 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

I posted in another thread that I believe he has to clear waivers before his rights are sold, but once a deal is worked out, teams have an unwritten agreement to not claim those guys.

#18 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

I posted in another thread that I believe he has to clear waivers before his rights are sold, but once a deal is worked out, teams have an unwritten agreement to not claim those guys.

Thanks, Jeremy. I had only read the Berardino article. He usually does a good job, and did so in this case, as well. But you seem to excel at dealing with the unanswered questions left dangling from his article. I thought it interesting that Berardino noted that the Twins have established a strong ongoing relationship with Korean teams, the Wild West nature of foreign contract deals there, reference to Suk-min Yoon, and that the Twins had done a similar deal with Bobby Keppel going to a Japanese team in 2010 (completely forgot about that one).

http://blogs.twincit...eaded-to-korea/

#19 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,053 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

Updated to include Pelfrey's incentives (courtesty of Mike Berardino at the Pioneer Press).

#20 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

Updated to include Pelfrey's incentives (courtesty of Mike Berardino at the Pioneer Press).

Either the numbers don't add up or I'm misunderstanding:

Mike Pelfrey can earn an additional $3.5 million in incentives in 2014. ($150K @170,180IP; $200K @190IP; $500K @200IP)

By contrast, the incentive numbers for Hughes just above do add up.

#21 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,053 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

I'll need to change the wording. He can earn $3.5 total, which includes 2014 incentives and 2015 escalators, which are tied to his 2014 performance.

#22 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,053 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

Updated to include Spring Training numbers. (If you highlight that table and print "selection", it prints out neatly on a single page.)

Also, Suzuki's contract details are updated (thanks to Mike, again).

Soon, I'll start projecting rosters a little bit more.

#23 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,053 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

For the record, if/when Albers is sold to Korea, that number will appear as a credit at the bottom of the payroll portion of the page.

#24 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,053 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:43 PM

Updated with minor changes. (Guerrier, Albers, Turpen)

Didn't add anything about Albers' transfer fee (heard around $500k), and will wait to hear something more definitive.

#25 rikker49

rikker49

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:11 PM

What happened to Salcedo????

#26 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,053 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

Re: Salcedo. Weird. He should be on there. I must be missing a tag on the script somewhere. I'll look into it tonight. Good catch.

#27 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,053 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

Salcedo was added back on earlier in the week; Thomas and Nelson have been added. As has Todd Van Steensel, who was with the Twins a few years ago.

#28 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,053 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:51 AM

Lots of payroll updates.

#29 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,053 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

Lots of updates today.

There are few changes to the payroll, with more confirmed amounts and projected arbitration seasons for those heading that direction after the season.

A lot of minor leagues have been moved around. These aren't necessarily projections - because that would be impossible - but a guess of who's competing for spots on certain teams.

All of the foreign guys who aren't playing full-season ball now have their home country listed. That's mostly so I could keep Zazueta (Mexican) straight from Zoquiel (Dominican).

The 2014 IFA signings are included. Everyone eligible to play in the DSL are on that roster. I anticipate 8-12 guys will move from the DSL in 13 to the GCL in 14, so I've noted that too.

The first round of cuts is expected tomorrow morning, so there will be more updates at that time.

Enjoy!

#30 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,053 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

The Payroll part of the R&P will be undergoing some changes in the near future. Long story short, I had an email convo with A-GM Rob Antony today about buyouts. Apparently how they are explained in the CBA is NOT how they are actually handled by the Twins. I'm not sure if the pro-ration of the buyouts are used for luxury tax (RA says no), but the explanation of having them pro-rated in the CBA doesn't apply for how the Twins do their payroll (or cut their checks). The buyout would be paid in one lump sum at the conclusion of the baseball season.

That remains in line with what was said about Nathan's buyout ("it was on last year's books"), but is different than how I understood them to work. I'll have to retrain my thinking.

I'm still at a loss for why they are explained the way they are in the CBA, but for now, I'm going to believe the guy that actually negotiates the contracts with the players and their reps. No one knows this stuff better than him.

My apologies for misinforming you. But I blame Phil Miller (for asking RA) and Seth (for talking to Phil).