Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Dusty Baker out as Reds manager

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

I see that Dusty Baker made himself expendable in Cincinnati by not winning in the post-season. Given that the Twins just re-signed their own manager for two seasons, it's an interesting compare and contrast situation.

A wag mentioned in another thread here that he'd like to see Baker ruin a few of the lesser arms in the Twins AAAA roster. At least, I HOPE and TRUST he said it waggishly. :)

Me, I would love to see how well Trevor Plouffe and a few of the other allegedly mellow guys would get along with crusty Dusty.

#2 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

From ESPN the Sweet Spot:

'Dusty Baker has managed 20 years in the major leagues and won just three postseason series. Including Wednesday's wild-card loss to the Pirates, he's 3-7 in postseason series with an overall win-loss record of 19-26.

He's had success in the regular season -- three manager of the year awards, five division titles, 16th all time in wins and he's won 90-plus games three of the past four years with the Reds -- but the lack of results in the playoffs finally cost him his job, even though he had another year on his contract. It's the right decision. '
Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

#3 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

Cincinnati is not loyal...

#4 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

Same as the Twins if they wanted to. According to the source for mlbtraderumors, Cincinnati was going fire Baker's hitting coach and Baker told them to fire him too if they fired the coach, they did. Twins could have gotten the same result by firing Rick Anderson.

#5 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

Compared to Gardy, Dusty Baker has had remarkable playoff success.

#6 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

Keep him as far away from MN as possible...