Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Twins reportedly bring back Mark Hamburger

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,845 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

According to several twitter reports (Mike Berardino, Doogie Wolfson), the Twins have signed RHP Mark Hamburger to a minor league contract. He spent this season with the St. Paul Saints.

Before he can actually play with the Twins organization, whether it be AA or AAA, he needs to serve a 50 game suspension for a violation of a drug of abuse.

Hamburger, you recall, signed with the Twins after a tryout camp. He impressed with an upper-90s fastball, but he was traded to the Rangers in exchange for Eddie Guardado. He worked his way up the system and spent time pitching in the big leagues for Texas in September the first year they went to the World Series.

It's a reclamation project, but it's a terrific low risk, decent reward type of signing for the team.

#2 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

It's too bad they didn't sign him a bit earlier, and get 25 games out of the suspension the end of this season, first.

If it works out, it works out.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#3 Einstein

Einstein

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

Good move, I don't see much downside.

#4 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

Hamburger may have more upside then the pitcher (duke welker) the Twins received for Morneau. Kind of ironic.

#5 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

My brother was at the Saints game and text me that he was throwing it 95. Glad the Twins got it done.

#6 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

Hamburger may have more upside then the pitcher (duke welker) the Twins received for Morneau. Kind of ironic.

Thielbar, now Hamburger, anyone else the Twins should be looking at on the Saints or in the AA?

#7 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

Last year, the Twins signed Saints Closer Dan Sattler. His Fast ball was in the mid 90's
Sattler started in Ft. Myers and proceeded to rise to Rochester.
His season ended early with T.J. surgery.

Edited by Highabove, 31 August 2013 - 09:23 PM.

#8 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

Not to mention the Boyer signing

#9 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,000 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

Well if the Twins cannot somehow manage to trade for players under the age of 27 because they aren't willing to pay Morneau's salary, I don't mind seeing them target Indy league players to see if another Colabello emerges.

#10 blairpaul715

blairpaul715

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

Well if the Twins cannot somehow manage to trade for players under the age of 27 because they aren't willing to pay Morneau's salary, I don't mind seeing them target Indy league players to see if another Colabello emerges.

Has Colabello emerged???!!!! I guess if a 28+ yr old , hitting .190 is emerging, I guess I don't mind it either!!!!

#11 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

They should look at Chris Odegaard from the Saints, also.

#12 Fatt Crapps

Fatt Crapps

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

Deleted

Yawn.

Edited by John Bonnes, 01 September 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#13 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:53 PM

Dammit jokin!

You have a lot to offer, even if I often think you could have said it in a less abrasive fashion.

I'm not a moderator, I'm just an Old Goat, but I value your input, so please word it in a way such that I get to read it.

Thank you