Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: What's Next for Kyle Gibson?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,114 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:56 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...for-Kyle-Gibson

#2 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:40 AM

Hopefully people can see enough of the big picture not to give up on an arm as talented as Gibson's. That's as silly as giving up on Aaron Hicks because of his 2013 struggles.

What other choice do Twins fans have but to hope the for the best at this point?
There are very few exciting inhouse options for Starting Pitching in 2014 so by default Gibson should be given every chance to prove himself.
- Same with Hicks in CF.

If both struggle in 2014 at least we can assume that 2015 will provide other options. But for now, there is no one else.
So all we fans can do is close our eyes and pray to whichever deity we choose to follow.

#3 troyhobbs

troyhobbs

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:36 AM

That he was/is our most big league ready SP prospect doesn't provide much optimism for 2014. I really thought he'd come up and immediately be our best pitcher, it puts into perspective the growing pains that prospects and young players are prone to and paints another bleak picture for next year. I wouldn't throw him too much more at this point and, again, hope for the best next season.

#4 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

• Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:26 AM

I think it's time to take a serious look at our pitching coaches, scouting and pitcher development in the minors. Something is really wrong!

#5 MichiganTwins

MichiganTwins

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

I am not sure any of this should make us respond so greatly.

#6 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 756 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:08 AM

I think Gibson should finish the season with the Redwings in the rotation and then be available for bullpen duties in the playoffs. He deserves to pitch a few playoff innings. I don't think he should be available to go back to back days out of the pen but at least appear in a game or two in the series. I also don't think a few innings in relief then will hurt his arm. He should then prepare for next spring. I don't have a problem if the Twins want to call him up for the last few weeks and have him pitch out of the pen the rest of the season but I don't think he should get many innings. Then he needs to rest and get ready to compete for a spot in the rotation next year. I don't think it should be a given that he will make the team but I think he has a chance. He probably wont be a great pitcher next year as he will probably need next season to make adjustments. I do expect better results than the 50 innings we got this year however.

#7 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:10 AM

I like his chances to be effective next year. Control is most often an issue for TJ pitchers. He could not get ahead in the count. That leads to walks and/or pitches down the middle because he had to throw a strike. Next year he will be stronger and better overall. My outlook for him was not so great for this year so its disappointing but I did not expect too much. I am glad they finally brought him up so was able to log time at the mlb level. I think he profiles as a #3 and that leads us back to same questions about how that Twins can any legit #1/#2 starters. Per Winston Smith...maybe a huge shake up is necessary.

#8 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

I think it's time to take a serious look at our pitching coaches, scouting and pitcher development in the minors. Something is really wrong!

Uh, yeah. There is something drastically wrong, flat-out, straight up wrong. Basically every pitcher worth anything in the system has been injured in the past two seasons or is injured right now. And when the few that are actually qualified to get to the big leagues do they just fail. Something like this has to be systemic.

#9 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

How is it that the Twins seem to bring up one bust after another, while a team like the Rays seems to bring up one star after another?

Meanwhile, Gibson's problems don't trouble me much. Young pitchers often have unstable stuff early in their careers. He'll be at least average next year, then a little better after that.

This was not the horse you were looking for.

Edited by jimbo92107, 20 August 2013 - 09:26 AM.

#10 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

I'm not so bummed out by Gibson's MLB performance thus far. You would definitely like to see better results, but those don't tell the whole story.

I honestly thought Gibson had a lot of bad luck that made the numbers look worse than they should/could. That's not to say he would have been amazing without the bad luck, because he wouldn't of been, but could have looked a lot better. In the games I watched, I saw a lot of weakly hit bloopers or ground balls that ended up as hits, and that's a function of his 'stuff' that hopefully regresses/progresses, however you look at it. You can see the movement he has on that sinking fastball, and I'd say quite matter-of-factly that he still doesn't have his slider back (which was his best pitch pre-TJ). Those are things to look forward to.

But overall, I'd call getting to the Majors in his first full season back after the surgery a success.

#11 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

I don't think it would be so disappointing if it not for the recent success of so many other top arms. Most seem to be doing well and many are thriving. Sure Gibson was not quite at the same level as Shelby Miller and Jose Fernandez, but he was on the same level as Tony Cingrani and Chris Archer.

Likely not coincidentally, those guys can all strikeout the side if need be.

#12 tjsyam921

tjsyam921

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

I believe Gibson will come back strong next year and have a solid season. Hicks on the other hand is more of a question. His power has come on more as his career has gone on, but his average has been pretty inconsistent. So from a player that was scouted as a 5 tool player he is going to need to hit better than .200 even with his walk rates and gold glove defense. If he had the minor league track record of Arcia, Rosario, or Sano I would have more faith in a Hicks rebound in '14.

#13 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

I mostly agree with Steve. It could have been a better start but I have to think he was gassed at this point. I'd shut him down soon and have him ready for next season. He'll certainly be one of the 5 starters next year.

#14 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

I'd shut him down soon and have him ready for next season. He'll certainly be one of the 5 starters next year.

Yes, shut him down now--at most give him one start in Rochester and a token playoff appearance...He will be in the Twins rotation next year if only by default.

The Twins have a few pitching prospects in the low minors led by Stewart and Gonsalves and a bunch at Cedar Rapids. The next couple of years are a test of the Twins minor league pitching gurus and medical staff--if by the end of 2015 none of these kids are up here (or worse several are hurt)--then we need to change the minor league pitching coaching staff.

#15 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

How is it that the Twins seem to bring up one bust after another, while a team like the Rays seems to bring up one star after another?

Meanwhile, Gibson's problems don't trouble me much. Young pitchers often have unstable stuff early in their careers. He'll be at least average next year, then a little better after that.

This was not the horse you were looking for.

I could tell you why, but I've noticed that praising another team in the league is frowned upon here, so I won't.

But, I don't think Gibson is/will be a bust. It's a lot to expect a guy coming off TJ to come right up and be great in his first go against MLB hitters. And, as some have pointed out in the other thread, a deeper look shows that he was doing some things well, which should lead to better results once he gets his control down.

Edited by Mr. Brooks, 20 August 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#16 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

Uh, yeah. There is something drastically wrong, flat-out, straight up wrong. Basically every pitcher worth anything in the system has been injured in the past two seasons or is injured right now. And when the few that are actually qualified to get to the big leagues do they just fail. Something like this has to be systemic.

This has been an issue for several years now, and I have yet to see any replacements among the medical staff.
Perhaps changes have been made, but those type of moves don't get any press? I'm not sure.
I thought for sure heads would have rolled after the whole "Bi Lateral Leg Weakness" season (Mauer was not the only odd injury situation that year, remember Kubel being 'day to day' with his foot, then missing 2 months), and yet as far as I can tell we are here 3+ years later, still dealing with constantly injuries and injury mismanagement (Scott Baker anyone?) and yet nobody has lost their job because of it.

#17 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 1,903 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

This has been an issue for several years now, and I have yet to see any replacements among the medical staff.
Perhaps changes have been made, but those type of moves don't get any press? I'm not sure.
I thought for sure heads would have rolled after the whole "Bi Lateral Leg Weakness" season (Mauer was not the only odd injury situation that year, remember Kubel being 'day to day' with his foot, then missing 2 months), and yet as far as I can tell we are here 3+ years later, still dealing with constantly injuries and injury mismanagement (Scott Baker anyone?) and yet nobody has lost their job because of it.

The head trainer was replaced last year.

#18 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

He's recovering from TJ surgery and facing major league hitters for the first time. I wouldn't read too much into his failure this season as it portends for his future.

#19 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

He's recovering from TJ surgery and facing major league hitters for the first time. I wouldn't read too much into his failure this season as it portends for his future.

Right. He can now take what he learned, improve, get stronger and come back next year.

If not...hopefully the weather is nicer next summer...

#20 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:11 PM

Am not concerned by Gibson's issues up here . Will be more concerned if they continued next year.

#21 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

Agreed, provided Gibson takes steps forward next season, he could still have upside, but its limited. He's never going to be "number 1 guy". Question still remains, Why does the Twins pitching systemically suck? What to do about it?

#22 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

Agreed, provided Gibson takes steps forward next season, he could still have upside, but its limited. He's never going to be "number 1 guy". Question still remains, Why does the Twins pitching systemically suck? What to do about it?

Get a new pitching coach? That's what I want. It probably won't work... but we have to try something new in case it does work. And if it includes Gardenhire leaving, so be it, but I want Rick Anderson gone.

#23 Fatt Crapps

Fatt Crapps

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

Hey Brock, what happened to Gibby being the next Brandon Webb? ;)