Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Baseball America releases 2013 Best Tools list

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...nces-Best-Tools

#2 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

Danny Santana as best defensive SS in AA?

#3 tjsyam921

tjsyam921

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

Before this season started I was really thinking the Twins should be ready to compete as early as 2014. As this season has gone on I think its going to be a ways longer. The biggest weakness of the organization is still pitching even after the additions last offseason. At the same time if the position players continue to progress well they could just concentrate on free agent pitchers or unfortunately trade some position players for them.

#4 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

I'd take those with a huge grain of salt and primarily for entertainment purpose, & especially since Buxton did not make the fastest base runner in his league...

#5 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if more than a few teams didn't get skunked on this list. Maybe this will help the Twins deal Carroll: one of the best hit and run artists in the game, and he can pitch too!

#6 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

I'd take those with a huge grain of salt and primarily for entertainment purpose, & especially since Buxton did not make the fastest base runner in his league...

He did in Hi A... not in low A... interesting.

#7 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

How is Double A considered "Low in the system?"

#8 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:47 PM

How is Danny Santana the best defensive SS?

#9 troyhobbs

troyhobbs

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

Before this season started I was really thinking the Twins should be ready to compete as early as 2014. As this season has gone on I think its going to be a ways longer. The biggest weakness of the organization is still pitching even after the additions last offseason. At the same time if the position players continue to progress well they could just concentrate on free agent pitchers or unfortunately trade some position players for them.

I also thought the Twins could be competitive by 2014 but watching this team and seeing highly touted prospects like Hicks and Gibson struggle (Arcia has been decent for a 22 yr old rookie) is a reality check and it seems more likely that Joe Mauer is going to be washed up before the Twins make the playoffs again. Good to see Jake Mauer getting props for his managing skills though, another good option to replace Gardy with along with Molitor.

#10 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

How is Double A considered "Low in the system?"

Better phrasing would have been, "ready to step in next year".

#11 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 1,896 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

Maybe they consider things other than errors.
Papers...business papers.

#12 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:58 PM

I understand that errors are often not the best way to judge fielding ability, but 27 of them amidst questions about his defensive prowess are enough to make me seriously question his honors.

Great to see our top prospects succeeding, however.

#13 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:55 AM

Good to see Jake Mauer getting props for his managing skills though, another good option to replace Gardy with along with Molitor.

I can't see Jake Mauer as the manager as long as Joe Mauer is on the team.

#14 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:10 AM

Next year it looks like the next wave of players will be making debuts and getting their feet wet in the majors while this years rookies get to build off of this year and 2015 will have a few more rookies moving up with the others continuing to grow and either in 2015 or 2016 the Twins will be competitive again assuming we are waiting for a bunch of prospects to come up and not banking on trades or FA signings for a competitive swing for 2014.

#15 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

I understand that errors are often not the best way to judge fielding ability, but 27 of them amidst questions about his defensive prowess are enough to make me seriously question his honors.

Great to see our top prospects succeeding, however.

I'm not trying to compare the two, but Jose Reyes had tons of errors when he came up too. Part of that was rushing, and part of that was that he had a greater range and was getting to more things that others couldn't get to... Not sure if that's Santana's problem or not, but worth thinking about.

#16 KernelsGuy1

KernelsGuy1

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

I can't see Jake Mauer as the manager as long as Joe Mauer is on the team.

Why not? This isn't high school baseball. Joe is in the lineup everyday anyway.

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,969 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

I think Jake Mauer is and should be considered a potential manager, and Joe's spot on the roster has nothing to do with that, good or bad. The guy knows baseball, inside and out. As important, he gets people. He brings people together. He is very smart. He's got the personality and temperament necessary. he's impressive.

I can see him doing like TK and Gardy though, starting out as the 3B coach in the next couple of years before taking over.

#18 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

I think Jake Mauer is and should be considered a potential manager, and Joe's spot on the roster has nothing to do with that, good or bad. The guy knows baseball, inside and out. As important, he gets people. He brings people together. He is very smart. He's got the personality and temperament necessary. he's impressive.

I can see him doing like TK and Gardy though, starting out as the 3B coach in the next couple of years before taking over.

Not to mention that his pedigree and age may make him a very enticing target for other organizations. Not every organization seeks out managerial and coaching candidates internally.

#19 E. Andrew

E. Andrew

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

There was a few days during spring training when Danny Santana was the hot topic. Granted, most of the big names had or were about to leave for the WBC, but at the time I remember hearing reports that he was the most athletic shortstop in the org. I thought I remember more articles, but here's the only I could find from spring:

Danny Santana is 'a legitimate shortstop candidate for the future' - Minnesota Twins news | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Twins

#20 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

id like to see him and Dougie M. Take over the corner coach positions over the next couple of years, give us some better internal options than our current 1st base coach, I mean bench coach, I mean 3rd Base Coach, I mean Hitting Coach, wait no... 1st base. :)

#21 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

For example, in Sunday's intrasquad game, Santana, playing shortstop, made an extraordinary backhanded, sprawling stab on a bad-hop ball, then short-hopped first baseman Drew Butera, who was unable to come up with the scoop.
"He made a fantastic catch, and then he didn't finish," Ryan said. "And those are some of the things we need to iron out."

I think this quote from the linked article says everything you need to know about how someone with 27 errors could be a great fielding prospect. If, as suggested, he learns how to 'finish' he becomes an excellent fielding MLB shortstop and if he doesn't he kicks around between AAA and the bigs for the next half-dozen years.

#22 Oxtung

Oxtung

• Members
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:06 PM

There was a few days during spring training when Danny Santana was the hot topic. Granted, most of the big names had or were about to leave for the WBC, but at the time I remember hearing reports that he was the most athletic shortstop in the org. I thought I remember more articles, but here's the only I could find from spring:

Danny Santana is 'a legitimate shortstop candidate for the future' - Minnesota Twins news | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Twins

I wonder how Niko Goodrum stacks up next to him. Everything I've read says he is extremely athletic as well.

#23 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

I think this quote from the linked article says everything you need to know about how someone with 27 errors could be a great fielding prospect. If, as suggested, he learns how to 'finish' he becomes an excellent fielding MLB shortstop and if he doesn't he kicks around between AAA and the bigs for the next half-dozen years.

Florimon was an error waiting to happen in the minors, about one every 4 games, he's turned into a darn good defensive shortstop.

#24 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

I think Jake Mauer is and should be considered a potential manager, and Joe's spot on the roster has nothing to do with that, good or bad.

You really think they're going to have Jake Mauer tell Joe he's moving off catcher? How about when it's time to tell Joe he has to be a bench player?

I can see Jake joining the major league coaching staff but he'll need to spend some time in the high minors first (AA opening soon?).

#25 powrwrap

powrwrap

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

Went to the full list at the link provided and was agreeing with almost everything until I got to Best Manager. #1 Jim Leyland? and Joe Maddon of the Rays isn't even on the list. This is so wrong.

#26 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

Dozier and Florimon got no love as best defensive choices.