Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Rochester Rotation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Oxtung

Oxtung

• Members
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:56 AM

With the current run of good health from our starting pitching staff Rochester suddenly has a surplus of starters, unless I missed some announcement somewhere. Hendriks, De Vries, Walters, Darnell, Hernandez, Worley and Albers all are looking for starts. How will/should the Twins resolve this? Move someone down to AA? "DL" someone? Start converting someone to long relief? The obvious answer would be to trade Pelfrey or Correia, but if that were to happen it probably won't be for another couple weeks (and I think that is a very big "if"). So how does/should this play out Twins Daily?

#2 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:15 AM

A surplus of Starting PItching depth for the Twins? Whoda' thunk it?

#3 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:17 AM

It's only 6 active SPs, DeVries is on the DL. Probably go with a 6-man rotation for now.

#4 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:36 AM

I suspect KC (or possibly Pelfrey) will no longer be in a Twins uniform come July 31. That will resolve this problem.

#5 stringer bell

stringer bell

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:37 AM

Also, before Labor Day, I suspect that Gibson will be shut down. The Red Wings have an excellent AAA rotation and they might yet make the International League playoffs, which would be a feather in Glynn's cap. Looking at the talent they put on the field every day, it is amazing that they are above .500.

#6 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

They did have at least one start where Hendriks and Hernandez both went 4 to 5.

Hernandez is likely headed for a role of lefty out of the pen that can give you a few innings. It wouldn't hurt to give him that role for a few weeks in AAA.

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

With the current run of good health from our starting pitching staff Rochester suddenly has a surplus of starters, unless I missed some announcement somewhere. Hendriks, De Vries, Walters, Darnell, Hernandez, Worley and Albers all are looking for starts. How will/should the Twins resolve this? Move someone down to AA? "DL" someone? Start converting someone to long relief? The obvious answer would be to trade Pelfrey or Correia, but if that were to happen it probably won't be for another couple weeks (and I think that is a very big "if"). So how does/should this play out Twins Daily?

Trade away if you ask me, but this "depth" throws a little wrinkle into the situation. The team likely wouldn't be looking to move them for another Hernandez type; there would be no room.

#8 Oxtung

Oxtung

• Members
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

It's only 6 active SPs, DeVries is on the DL. Probably go with a 6-man rotation for now.

I thought I might have missed an announcement.

#9 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

With DeVries having elbow troubles all year & the way he's pitched.....I hope its not the dreaded misdiagnosed TJ injury.
Hernandez is/should be tried as more of a lefty reliever....esp long reliever as thats his only MLB shot.
I would actually hope that Trevor May would get some AAA starts this year as well