Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

2014 MLB (Rule 4) First Year Player Draft

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

And with the 7th (?) pick in the 2014 MLB First Year Player Draft the Minnesota Twins select ______________!

Too soon???

#2 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

And with the 7th (?) pick in the 2014 MLB First Year Player Draft the Minnesota Twins select ______________!

Too soon???

Haha, while clearly too soon, next year is supposed to be a super deep class. Is it bad that I hope the Twins go on a big losing streak at some point to draft higher? I would love for them to be able to draft Trea Turner.

From Christopher Crawford:
[FONT=verdana]"Obviously there's a long way to go, but they start the year on top of my board," an NL scouting director said. "Seeing what Turner did at shortstop this year, with true 80 [on the 20-80 scouting scale] speed and some offensive projection, that's obviously appealing. He's a true leadoff hitter, the type of guy who can steal you a bunch of bases and most importantly, he can get on base."

Crawford wrote an article for ESPN, insider, about the top prospects for next years draft. Looks so much stronger. Link below:
[/FONT]
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=1049

#3 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

Ah yes...the prototypical leadoff hitter. I think I just read in a thread somewhere that the Twins don't really need a SS with a big bat/hit skill, rather an adequate bat with a good glove considering the monsters we have in Sano, Buxton, et al.

#4 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

Yes, obviously it's WAY TOO early to say anything of significance. But that doesn't mean we can't talk about what's already out there.

I've talked to people within the organization about it already. The hype that there is big-time talent is real. What's not being talked about as frequently is the drop off after the big-time talent. Yes, it could all change.

At this point, instead of a big 3, there might be a big 7 or 8. This year, the second, third, fourth tier of the draft (depending on how you break them up) probably lasted until the 40s or mid-50s. Guys that the "experts" could have seen going in the first round. At this point, that group of guys for the 2014 draft is significantly less. Pitching will be good, but hitters appear pretty weak.

It's not too early to talk about the big names:
College pitchers: Carlos Rodon (NC State) and Tyler Beede (Vandy) are going to have to work hard to NOT be Top 5 picks. Rodon may have gone 1-1 this year. Beede was a first-round pick two years ago. Michael Cedaroth (San Diego State) hits triple-digits on the gun, but has a very violent delivery (per Twins source). Nick Burdi (Louisville) has been a plus-fastball/plus-slider closer. He was drafted by the Twins out of high school and should start next year.

College hitters: Trae Turner (NC State shortstop). You should just watch him play. Everybody that does gets a man-crush.

High school hitters: Alex Jackson (California catcher) is my favorite. He is so advanced offensively that he might just get moved to the outfield so he can move quicker (a la Harper and Myers). Nick Gordon (Florida shortsop) has the bloodlines and the ability to stay at shortstop.

High school pitcher: Touki Toussaint (Florida) belongs in the top 5 mix. He was pretty filthy in the PG Showcase at the Metrodome last week. Justus Sheffield (Tennessee) is the younger brother of a favorite of mine, Jordan Sheffield, who blew his arm out this year.

Georgia prep: Michael Gettys (3B/OF/P). Gettys is going to seriously climb rankings this summer, especially if he can continue the show he put on last week. He can throw 100 from the OF, high-90s off of the mound and has power (and a big frame). And the Twins love kids from Georgia.

I guess that's an early look at a Top 10, eh?

#5 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

Jeremy, great post! Based on need, not necessarily BPA, it looks like Turner would be our best get. Unless we have a precipitous fall soon, I'd bet we don't have a pick inside the top 5, thus, putting us out of contention for Turner. Jackson sounds intriguing (future Mauer replacement?), but not quite as much if he doesn't catch. How bout that...transitioning from one HS catcher to another! Coincidence? No says me!

#6 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 1,934 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

Let's pump it up around here!
Papers...business papers.

#7 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

Yes, obviously it's WAY TOO early to say anything of significance. But that doesn't mean we can't talk about what's already out there.

I've talked to people within the organization about it already. The hype that there is big-time talent is real. What's not being talked about as frequently is the drop off after the big-time talent. Yes, it could all change.

At this point, instead of a big 3, there might be a big 7 or 8. This year, the second, third, fourth tier of the draft (depending on how you break them up) probably lasted until the 40s or mid-50s. Guys that the "experts" could have seen going in the first round. At this point, that group of guys for the 2014 draft is significantly less. Pitching will be good, but hitters appear pretty weak.

It's not too early to talk about the big names:
College pitchers: Carlos Rodon (NC State) and Tyler Beede (Vandy) are going to have to work hard to NOT be Top 5 picks. Rodon may have gone 1-1 this year. Beede was a first-round pick two years ago. Michael Cedaroth (San Diego State) hits triple-digits on the gun, but has a very violent delivery (per Twins source). Nick Burdi (Louisville) has been a plus-fastball/plus-slider closer. He was drafted by the Twins out of high school and should start next year.

College hitters: Trae Turner (NC State shortstop). You should just watch him play. Everybody that does gets a man-crush.

High school hitters: Alex Jackson (California catcher) is my favorite. He is so advanced offensively that he might just get moved to the outfield so he can move quicker (a la Harper and Myers). Nick Gordon (Florida shortsop) has the bloodlines and the ability to stay at shortstop.

High school pitcher: Touki Toussaint (Florida) belongs in the top 5 mix. He was pretty filthy in the PG Showcase at the Metrodome last week. Justus Sheffield (Tennessee) is the younger brother of a favorite of mine, Jordan Sheffield, who blew his arm out this year.

Georgia prep: Michael Gettys (3B/OF/P). Gettys is going to seriously climb rankings this summer, especially if he can continue the show he put on last week. He can throw 100 from the OF, high-90s off of the mound and has power (and a big frame). And the Twins love kids from Georgia.

I guess that's an early look at a Top 10, eh?

I was going to post a list of names and scouting reports for the 2014 draft today before I saw this. Like always Jeremy, beating me to the punch.

For those of you would didn't watch any N.C. State games last year missed out on seeing IMO the most exciting player in college baseball in Trea Turner. True 80 grade speed, true short shot, bass a sound hitting approach, and from all accounts is a good kid. Definitely my favorite right now.

#8 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

I'll add another kid to Jeremy's High School hitters - Jacob Gatewood, another shortstop (although at 6'5" he could outgrow the position). He's got power, a good stroke and has shown leadership. He's been compared to Jeter, A-Roid, and Tulowitski. A pitcher might be nice, but I don't see Rodon going anything but #1. I'd rather go with Turner, Gordon, Gatewood or Jackson. It's a deep draft and the Twins will likely have another top 5 pick (which also means a high second rounder). One of those guys will be available as low as fifth (if not more).

#9 dgwills

dgwills

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

"Unless we have a precipitous fall soon"
Now I know who to blame :)

#10 iastfan112

iastfan112

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

Didn't the Twins draft Burdi a couple years back, name sounds very familiar?

#11 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

Didn't the Twins draft Burdi a couple years back, name sounds very familiar?

Yeah

#12 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:56 PM

With 3 months of the season left, we are reduced to talking about who we trade, and who we will draft in 11 months?

While everyone on here is obviously a big time Twins fan, we wouldn't be wasting our time on a Twins site/forum, some of us prefer different aspects of fandom. I love going to games and following the big league club as much as the next fan but I also love college baseball, the minor league game, and the draft. To me talking about the Twins minor league players or who they might draft is just as fun as talking about any other aspect of the Twins.

Actually, i currently prefer focusing on the minor league and draft aspect of the Twins because of the negativity surrounding the team. I rarely post, much less read, a lot of the things posted on the big league forum. I'm personally just tired of every thread get derailed into negative whining about why the Twins didn't sign X free agent, why they didn't spend X amount of money, or fire X person. I respect posters right to turn every thread into these whine posts but I rather be happy and focus on the future.

Buxton for President!

#13 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

I'm personally just tired of every thread get derailed into negative whining about why the Twins didn't sign X free agent, why they didn't spend X amount of money, or fire X person.

For the reasons you cited, I was in the process of deleting the post in question while you were constructing your reply.

#14 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

What's nice about these names is that they are all pitchers, shortstops (we think) or catchers for the most part. All areas of need.

#15 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

For the reasons you cited, I was in the process of deleting the post in question while you were constructing your reply.

Haha, I'm glad I can keep things moving with not forcing you to use the delete button.

Back on topic! For any one who really enjoys the draft and is interested in a few good sources for prospect info here are some links.

Bigleaguefutures.net has the break down, some detailed write ups for the bigger names, for the college ranks. Here is a link to their reports:
2014 Draft Profiles

Right after the draft mlb.com's Jonathan Mayo released his top 10 prospects for next years draft with mini write ups.
Scouts will be busy this summer looking at 2014 MLB Draft talent | MLB.com: News

After the draft SI.com caught up with its lead draft analyst David Perkins and Perfect Games Allan Simpson and asked them to break down their top 5 prospects for next year.
Early look at top five prospects for next year's MLB draft - MLB - Joe Lemire - SI.com

And finally Scouts.com Kiley McDaniel has released his top college pitchers and hitter lists.
Pitchers:
Scout.com: 2014 MLB Draft Preview: College Pitchers
Hitters:
Scout.com: 2014 MLB Draft Preview: College Hitters

While there is a ton of time till next years draft, a lot can/will happen, most of these names will still be the big names around draft day.

#16 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:06 PM

What's nice about these names is that they are all pitchers, shortstops (we think) or catchers for the most part. All areas of need.

You are exactly right. Not only is it an above average group of top tier prospects but they are all at needs for the Twins.

#17 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 619 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

Looking at the Wild-Card standings tonight, it looked like the Twins had a top 5 pick.

Given the way they are playing, I think that is the area to scope out.

Buxton, Stewart, ???

Nice consolation prizes these.

#18 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

Add Tyler Kolek to the list. Another Texas prepster. Listen to this bio:

Division 1 football recruit (defensive end).
Mid- to high-90s fastball.
2 other potential plus pitches: low-80s slider, mid-70s curve.

Sound familiar?

#19 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 619 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

Sound familiar?

No kidding! (Must remind myself that having a great farm-system << winning major league club).

I can't remember the Twins floating near the top of the draft so long. Hopefully the system will pay forward big time.

#20 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

Sound familiar?

Haha, definitely sounds like a Stewartesk pick.

The Twins drafted Eades last year so I bet they will, have, already scouted his former team mate and Friday night starter Aaron Nola.

6'1" 190 lbs, RHP LSU
89-94 fastball with movement and the chance to add a tick or two
Power curve (already a swing/miss pitch) and a fading change up that has a chance to be a plus pitch.

#21 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

Looking for a big, college, LHP sleeper top 10 guy who has 97? Kiley McDaniel's mentions Hartford's Sean Newcomb as this years Sean Manaea:

[FONT=Arial]
"The big name newcomer to the top of the list is Hartford lefty Sean Newcomb. Similar to Indiana State LHP Sean Manaea's rise last year, multiple sources have predicted Newcomb will have a coming-out party this summer with Team USA, with one scout saying he thinks Newcomb will go in the top 10 picks next June. Why are they so sure? The 6'5, 240 pound lefty hit 95 last summer in a very short stint on the Cape and has hit 97 this spring with comparisons to [/FONT]
Jon Lester[FONT=Arial], if you're into that sort of thing. His upside is right there with Rodon and if he can show it with positive results over the summer, he could easily enter the spring as my top college pitcher, which is exactly what Manaea did before his current troubles."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]

[/FONT]

#22 Smcginnity

Smcginnity

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

Anyone have any video of these players? I can't find anything on Trae Turner. I've seen Rodon and he is the real deal. Either way, it would be nice to see videos.

#23 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

This really has wheels already?! Wow. This is why I love TD. Good information and excited on a topic that is 11 months away. I am almost giddy with excitement for the next draft. I love keeping an eye on the farm just as much as watching the Twins.

#24 2wins87

2wins87

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

The Twins can always use more front end pitching, but I really like the idea of an advanced college shortstop with some serious tools.

#25 2wins87

2wins87

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

I can't remember the Twins floating near the top of the draft so long. Hopefully the system will pay forward big time.

I was too young to really be paying attention to the draft at this point, but I certainly remember the drought of futility in the second half of the 90's. 7 top ten picks between 1994 and 2001, netting Cuddyer and of course Mauer (along with some ugly busts too). The current stretch isn't even half as long yet, and hopefully it ends pretty soon.

I actually have quite high hopes for 2014 (not World Series high but I think contending is certainly possible; going to need pitching help of course)

#26 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

Anyone have any video of these players? I can't find anything on Trae Turner. I've seen Rodon and he is the real deal. Either way, it would be nice to see videos.

The bigleaguefutures and Kiley McDaniel links I posted have videos.

#27 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

Imagine (dream) about this lineup.

Buxton
Crawford
Mauer
Sano
Arcia
Pluffe (DH)
Hicks
Pinto
Rosario

#28 Smcginnity

Smcginnity

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

The bigleaguefutures and Kiley McDaniel links I posted have videos.

Thanks!!!

#29 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

Imagine (dream) about this lineup.

Buxton
Crawford
Mauer
Sano
Arcia
Pluffe (DH)
Hicks
Pinto
Rosario

You want an ESPN writer batting second?

#30 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

Cindy Crawford batting second? I'll buy a ticket.