Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Twins and Glen Perkins agree to a contact

francisco liriano twins
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:19 AM

According to Jon Heyman, the Twins and Glen Perkins have reached an arbitration settlement of $1.55 million.

glen perkins gets $1.55M. #twins

Perkins was easily the Twins best reliever, working 61.2 innings while striking out 65 and walking 21. He held a 2.48 ERA while holding opponents to a .238 average. By Fangraphs.com's WAR standard, Perkins's 1.7 WAR was the 11th best among all relievers in baseball in 2011.

His $1.55 million salary was slightly below the one projected in the TwinsCentric Offseason GM Handbook of $1.8 million - a decent savings for the team given his performance.

#2 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

According to ESPN's Enrique Rojas, the Twins and Francisco Liriano have agreed to a one-year, $5.5 million deal:

#Twins and Francisco Liriano avoid arbitration signing 1 year contract for $5,5 million

After a very good 2010 season, Liriano followed that up with a 2011 campaign in which he struggled to throw his fastball for a strike, work ahead of opponents and battled through various arm injuries. He will be a free agent after this season.

#3 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 252 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:37 PM

We probably haven't talked about this enough, but how good does the decision to NOT offer him a long-term deal last offseason look now?

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,097 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

I said that on my podcast last night. I was good with offering him four years and $40 million a year ago. Sometimes the best transactions a GM can make are the ones he doesn't make!!

#5 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

I took a lot of flak in February for siding with the Twins on their decision to just go the one year with Liriano but his mechanics and reliance on the slider are a recipe for injuries. The real question will be what will the Twins do if Liriano has a 2010-type of season in 2012? Do you give him the multi-year contract or let him walk because of his injury potential?

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,097 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

You are the winner!

#7 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 252 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

FYI - I merged the thread abour Liriano & Perkins signing contract, ostensibly because they're both arbitration settlement, but mostly just to see what happens. :-)

#8 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

We probably haven't talked about this enough, but how good does the decision to NOT offer him a long-term deal last offseason look now?

I honestly don't think it'd be all that bad. They have no starters locked in past this year outside of Blackburn, and no one was suggesting giving Liriano huge money.