Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

MLB.com: Carlos Gomez Garners NL Player of Week Honors

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 East Coast Twin

East Coast Twin

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:16 AM

9-for-18 on the week with 17 total bases and a .526 on-base percentage.

Brewers center fielder Carlos Gomez garners NL Player of Week honors | brewers.com: News

#2 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:25 AM

Gomez is on a hot streak now. Later he will have a cold one.
In his mid 20's he may be starting to reach his potential.

#3 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

I love when articles quote a guy's OBP when it's barely different from his batting average.

Why not just say Gomez batted .500? Who cares that he also reached base by HBP once during the week?

#4 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

He always had the talent, it just took him five major league seasons to start to put it together.

#5 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

Stunning talent... He just wasn't ready for us. We wasted this guy IMO.

#6 jay

jay

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

Hard to fathom that he's still only 27.

His season last year isn't too far off from what I'd hope for out of Buxton early on, with a little better BB%/OBP.

#7 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

Gomez is one of blossoming stars in baseball. Glad we got JJ Hardy for him, which we turned into Hoey/Jacobsen. This could also turn out to be one of Bill Smiths most haunting trades as he's turned the corner, but Gardy preferred the far lesser talented but fundamental Denard Span.

#8 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

Gomez is one of blossoming stars in baseball. Glad we got JJ Hardy for him, which we turned into Hoey/Jacobsen. This could also turn out to be one of Bill Smiths most haunting trades as he's turned the corner, but Gardy preferred the far lesser talented but fundamental Denard Span.

And of course Gardenhire was right on that one, as Span was better than Gomez in every season from 2008-2012 and now neither are on the team.
Works on contingency? No, money down!
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#9 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

I love when articles quote a guy's OBP when it's barely different from his batting average.

Why not just say Gomez batted .500? Who cares that he also reached base by HBP once during the week?

I wasn't deeply offended by that :) , but after you spoke up I looked closer and he had a triple and two homers among his hits. I guess you can infer some power from the 17 total bases, but it paints less of a picture, particularly when it's a speedy guy who could have amassed 8 doubles instead.

#10 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,423 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

Carlos Gomez has turned into a pretty solid ballplayer.

But Denard Span is still better and 70 PAs into the 2013 season doesn't change that fact. That might change as Span goes into a decline phase and as Gomez continues through his prime, but Milwaukee had to put up with some pretty mediocre and bad seasons from the guy before they were awarded the privilege of paying him $7.5m a season for four years.

#11 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

I'd take him right now. He was an "adventure" but god damn could that kid cover CF.

#12 iastfan112

iastfan112

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:53 AM

Mets did a huge disservice with how they rushed him.

#13 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:34 AM

I wasn't deeply offended by that :) , but after you spoke up I looked closer and he had a triple and two homers among his hits. I guess you can infer some power from the 17 total bases, but it paints less of a picture, particularly when it's a speedy guy who could have amassed 8 doubles instead.

Neither OBP or Batting Average take into consideration the number of bases the player earned. OBP just says how many times a person gets on base, with a triple counting the same as a single. Same thing for batting average.

#14 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

Neither OBP or Batting Average take into consideration the number of bases the player earned. OBP just says how many times a person gets on base, with a triple counting the same as a single. Same thing for batting average.

I was referring to the full sentence in the original post, which referenced getting on base in one fashion and slugging in a different fashion. It was odd enough that I took time to look at some other writing by the author, Cassavell - he normally writes clearly enough, so this one was an outlier.

#15 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,423 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

Mets did a huge disservice with how they rushed him.

That looks more and more to be the case. He'll never be an OBP machine but given his defense and burgeoning power, he could be a very good player for the next several years.

#16 iastfan112

iastfan112

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:49 AM

Also, this interview must never be forgotten:

#17 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,769 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

Trading him for Hardy was not the mistake.......they had other OF prospects, and no SS to speak of.....the issue was that for some reason they did not like Hardy enough. We will never know how that decision was made, or by whom......
Lighten up Francis....

#18 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

Also, this interview must never be forgotten:

English is not Carlos's first language. I saw a taped interview Darin Mastroianni gave in Spanish, but I'm not qualified to judge how understandable he was; are you?

#19 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,423 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

English is not Carlos's first language. I saw a taped interview Darin Mastroianni gave in Spanish, but I'm not qualified to judge how understandable he was; are you?

Come on, man... It's funny.

Gomez is excited, emotion is running high, English isn't his first language... And what does that add up to?

An interview that no one on planet earth understands.

#20 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

I've got a quick surgery scheduled this afternoon to get a broom removed from an orifice. After a week's recovery time I'll revisit this thread and see if I still feel the same way.

#21 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

Come on, man... It's funny.

Gomez is excited, emotion is running high, English isn't his first language... And what does that add up to?

An interview that no one on planet earth understands.

Telly was great.