Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Max Kepler

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#1 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

I've been intrigued by Max Kepler ever since the Twins signed him almost four years ago as a 16 year old out of Germany. He has raw tools that make the scouts rave and a very unique background as the son of two professional ballet dancers. According to the Washington Post, he was considered possibly the best European prospect ever when he was signed in 2009.

With that, here is some key info:

Name: Maximilian Kepler
Position: OF
Bats: Left
Throws: Left
Born: 2/10/93
Signed: July 2009 (International - Germany)
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 180 on Baseball Reference, 220 according to Ashley Marshall's article this past January

Kepler should be spending this year with the Cedar Rapids Kernels, but is currently in extended spring training rehabbing an elbow injury. According to Mister-Baseball.com, he will be joining the Kernals around the end of April.

There's been a lot of great articles written about Kepler, here are links to a few:

Articles from 2009:

Article from 2012:

Articles from 2013:

Over the next couple of weeks, I plan on posting some stats, video, and my own analysis of his breakout 2012 season.

Edited by Sssuperdave, 17 April 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#2 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:30 AM

As promised, here is some video of Kepler.

First, there are two videos from the WBC qualifying round on his mlb.com page:
Max Kepler Stats, Video Highlights, Photos, Bio | MLB.com: Team

Next, here's a video from 2010 in the Gulf Coast League:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTTZu1BF4cI

The biggest thing that jumps out to me from these three videos is how awesome his swing looks. I'm not a scout by any stretch, but there are a few players whose swings just look great to me - no excess movement, smooth and strong. Kepler is definitely one of those.

#3 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:32 AM

Here is a video of Kepler taking batting practice that was uploaded this past December:

#4 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:35 AM

And lastly... here is an interview with Kepler by MLB Europe during the qualifying round of the WBC:

#5 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

Thanks for posting this. I'm such a fan of this guy. Like you said, I'm no scout either, but I love his swing.

#6 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

He's still lean but you can see how much he has filled out since 2010.

It looks like the one knock on Kepler is still there. He has a nice swing that should result in a high BA with a lot of line drives but there might not be enough loft to hit many HR's. I'm still pretty excited about him but I'm concerned that there will be some that are disappointed if he only hits 15 HR's as a LF/RF'er.

#7 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:32 AM

Kepler's stats from his three years as a professional are below:
[TABLE="width: 956"]
[TR]
[TD]Tm
[/TD]
[TD]Lg
[/TD]
[TD]Lev
[/TD]
[TD]Aff
[/TD]
[TD]G
[/TD]
[TD]PA
[/TD]
[TD]AB
[/TD]
[TD]R
[/TD]
[TD]H
[/TD]
[TD]2B
[/TD]
[TD]3B
[/TD]
[TD]HR
[/TD]
[TD]RBI
[/TD]
[TD]SB
[/TD]
[TD]CS
[/TD]
[TD]BB
[/TD]
[TD]SO
[/TD]
[TD]BA
[/TD]
[TD]OBP
[/TD]
[TD]SLG
[/TD]
[TD]OPS
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Twins
[/TD]
[TD]GULF
[/TD]
[TD]Rk
[/TD]
[TD]MIN
[/TD]
[TD]37
[/TD]
[TD]153
[/TD]
[TD]140
[/TD]
[TD]15
[/TD]
[TD]40
[/TD]
[TD]6
[/TD]
[TD]1
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]11
[/TD]
[TD]6
[/TD]
[TD]1
[/TD]
[TD]13
[/TD]
[TD]27
[/TD]
[TD]0.286
[/TD]
[TD]0.346
[/TD]
[TD]0.343
[/TD]
[TD]0.689
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Elizabethton
[/TD]
[TD]APPY
[/TD]
[TD]Rk
[/TD]
[TD]MIN
[/TD]
[TD]50
[/TD]
[TD]221
[/TD]
[TD]191
[/TD]
[TD]29
[/TD]
[TD]50
[/TD]
[TD]11
[/TD]
[TD]3
[/TD]
[TD]1
[/TD]
[TD]24
[/TD]
[TD]1
[/TD]
[TD]1
[/TD]
[TD]23
[/TD]
[TD]54
[/TD]
[TD]0.262
[/TD]
[TD]0.347
[/TD]
[TD]0.366
[/TD]
[TD]0.714
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Elizabethton
[/TD]
[TD]APPY
[/TD]
[TD]Rk
[/TD]
[TD]MIN
[/TD]
[TD]59
[/TD]
[TD]269
[/TD]
[TD]232
[/TD]
[TD]40
[/TD]
[TD]69
[/TD]
[TD]16
[/TD]
[TD]5
[/TD]
[TD]10
[/TD]
[TD]49
[/TD]
[TD]7
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]27
[/TD]
[TD]33
[/TD]
[TD]0.297
[/TD]
[TD]0.387
[/TD]
[TD]0.539
[/TD]
[TD]0.925
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

As you can see, 2012 was quite a breakout year for Kepler. OBP was up 40 points, Slugging up 160, resulting in OPS up 200. He hit 10 homeruns vs 1 in the prior two seasons, and increased his walks while reducing strikeouts. As a result of all of these improvements Kepler jumped multiple spots on pretty much everyones top prospects list.

However, a closer examination of his 2012 season reveals that he may have made some intriguing changes to his approach mid-season. I followed him closely last year, and was getting discouraged by mid July that he hadn't hit any homeruns. Then, starting with a grandslam on July 16th, he went on a tear, hitting 7 home runs in two weeks. Then, his power seemed to cool off a bit the rest of the year.

To follow up on what I thought I saw last year, I analyzed his 2012 season by breaking it into three segments. Here they are:

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 600, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD]Segment
[/TD]
[TD]G
[/TD]
[TD]AB
[/TD]
[TD]HR
[/TD]
[TD]BB
[/TD]
[TD]SO
[/TD]
[TD]AVG
[/TD]
[TD]OBP
[/TD]
[TD]SLG
[/TD]
[TD]OPS
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1. June 19 - July 15
[/TD]
[TD]22
[/TD]
[TD]81
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]18
[/TD]
[TD]8
[/TD]
[TD].296
[/TD]
[TD].452
[/TD]
[TD].407
[/TD]
[TD].859
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2. July 16 - July 27
[/TD]
[TD]11
[/TD]
[TD]45
[/TD]
[TD]7
[/TD]
[TD]2
[/TD]
[TD]8
[/TD]
[TD].267
[/TD]
[TD].313
[/TD]
[TD].778
[/TD]
[TD]1.090
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3. July 28 - Aug 28
[/TD]
[TD]26
[/TD]
[TD]106
[/TD]
[TD]3
[/TD]
[TD]7
[/TD]
[TD]16
[/TD]
[TD].311
[/TD]
[TD].354
[/TD]
[TD].538
[/TD]
[TD].892
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

The drastic difference between segemts 1 and 2 jumps out at me. In the last two weeks of July, his average was 30 points lower and his OBP was over 100 points lower than the first month of the season, but his SLG and OPS were dramatically higher, obviously driven by his new-found homerun swing. His walks dropped precipitously and he had as many strikeouts in 2 weeks as the previous 4. This suggests to me that his homeruns were not just a matter of some additional strength and fly balls carrying a bit further (which I think Mauer's 09 season was), rather a wholesale change of approach at the plate.

The third segment (the last month of the season) seems to be a compromise between the first two. He still hit some home runs, though not at such a torrid pace, and his AVG and OBP came back up a bit, with average actually higher than the first month, and OBP not as high but still strong at .354.

This approach change is supported by something Kepler is quoted as saying in an article by Ashley Marshall earlier this year:

"I came into the league an oppo [opposite-field] hitter, being fairly slim at 180 and being a pretty fast guy for my size. I'm 220 now -- I gained like 40 pounds -- and I've really learned to pull the ball this last season."

"I'd say the long ball is my thing now. It used to be slapping the ball, getting on base, stealing bases. But I've changed that around and I will keep growing if I stay healthy. I just love running and stealing bases and I hope I don't lose my speed because of my size. I want to be big and fast."

So, what do we make of all this? To me, it is nothing but encouraging. He's now shown he can hit for power, average, and exercise plate discipline. The question is whether he will move even further in the power-hitter direction, or try to balance things out to become a more well-rounded threat. That last month of 2012 is actually the most encouraging stretch to me. He had the best average of the season and brought his OBP back up while still hitting a few home runs.

Edited by Sssuperdave, 22 April 2013 - 08:36 AM.

#8 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

I had an email exchange with Jeff Johnson of the Cedar Rapids Gazette yesterday and asked him if he had heard anything about when Kepler might join the team. Here was his response...

Talked to Brad Steil about Kepler this week, actually, and he just mentioned the elbow injury and that it improved and then he had a setback. They don’t think it’s anything serious.

No timetable for a return to playing.

Good to hear they don't think it's serious, but it's too bad that he's missing so much time. I was looking forward to seeing how he would fare in his first full season.

#9 Einstein

Einstein

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

Does anyone have an update on Kepler?

#10 fairweather

fairweather

Banned

• Banned
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

I'm seriously high on this kid. Can't wait to watch him at Target Field in a couple years.

#11 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

Terry Ryan was on Reusse and Mackey this afternoon and Reusse asked him about Kepler. Ryan said a lot of very complimentary things including that Kepler was a "big, strong kid," that he was definitely ready for low-A ball if not for the injury, and that he was "the real deal." However, Ryan confirmed that Kepler is still out with the elbow issue but didn't say anything very specific. All he said was that Kepler had a "sore elbow" and hadn't been able to play. He said Kepler was supposed to play today in EST for the first time in a while and that he would be checking the box score carefully to make sure he did. (Side note - does anyone know if EST boxscores are online anywhere???)

I'm probably reading too much into this, but Ryan sounded pretty frustrated when he was talking about Kepler's elbow. This seems to me like one of those classic Twins injury situations we've seen over and over again in the past few years. Someone looks like they'll be out for a few games and end up out for a couple months with no clear injury other than something that is bruised, sore, etc. I imagine this happens to all teams, but it sure is frustrating! As frustrating as it is for us as fans, I have to think it is countless times more frustrating for the players themselves.

I'm hoping for the best for Kepler as he gets into games in EST, hopefully we will see him in Cedar Rapids soon!

#12 Smcginnity

Smcginnity

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

What is going on with Kepler? When is he coming back?

#13 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

I hope it's soon! He's also one of my favorite prospects we have down in the system. I too like his swing. The year before this I got to watch quite a bit of him at Spring Training, where he was playing with the Beloit roster (that included Sano, Vargas, Rosario), and he was the best in-game hitter without a doubt. You tend to notice when everything he hit was a line drive somewhere. This one was especially well-struck: Max Kepler lines a double down the opposite field line (video) on Twitpic

Never like to hear the injury questions when it comes to Twins players like this though, hasn't boded well for them in recent times...
Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
Spring Training Regular since 2011.

#14 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

Jeff Johnson of the Cedar Rapids Gazette is reporting that Kepler is headed to Cedar Rapids. In a follow-up Tweet, however, he also added that he's heard Kepler's elbow is "still not good enough to throw."

Jake Mauer had previously told the media that Kepler would not be sent up to the Kernels until he could play in the field. Should be interesting to see what's up when he gets to CR.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#15 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

As other folks have noted, Jeff Johnson of the Cedar Rapids Gazette has posted that Kepler will be joining the Kernels starting Thursday after their all-star break. According to the blog post below Jake Mauer said over the weekend that Kepler's elbow was still preventing him from playing in the field. Perhaps he'll be the DH for a while? Either way, I am certainly excited to hear he'll be back in action soon.

Kepler headed to Kernels; end of line for Buxton? | TheGazette

#16 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

Kepler saw his first action of the year this week playing in 4 games for Cedar Rapids. He played LF on his first day back so evidentally they felt his elbow was ready for the test. On the week Kepler had 5 hits (3 of the doubles), 2 walks, 3 RBI, and 4 strikeouts, resulting a 4-day slash line of .278/.350/.444, which is a .794 OPS.

It will be interesting to see how much time he gets in CF now that Buxton has been promoted to Fort Meyers. Last week he played 2 games in LF and was the DH twice.

#17 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

SD Buhr posted a great article today than includes an interview with Kepler. Check it out!

Kernels Post-Buxton Era Begins: Welcome Max Kepler - Blogs - Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Here's my favorite quote:

SDB: Do you have a particular hitting philosophy? Do you see yourself as a power hitter or are you just concerned about driving the ball and if it goes over the fence, fine?

Kepler: I used to strictly see myself as a contact hitter. I came to the Twins as a contact hitter, just going (opposite field) all the time.

Now, basically, it’s just a start to a new season, first couple games, just see the ball right now and hit it. But when I’m in a groove, I like it to go far, the ball to go deep.

SDB also asks lots of great questions about Kepler's parents and growing up in Germany playing baseball.

#18 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

Big day for Kepler today with a homerun and a double. In addition, he played centerfield due to the Buxton promotion.

#19 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:37 PM

Glad you enjoyed the article, Sssuperdave. I really enjoyed talking to Kepler Sunday.

Then again, I've enjoyed interviewing all of the Kernels I've had a chance to sit down with this season. They've all been fun to talk to and obviously a terrific team to watch play ball.

MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

#20 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

First CR Kernels game and Max really helped me get over missing the Buxton era...was supposed to see them April 17th but was rained out. Kepler looks like the real deal but with his size does he really project as CF prospect? I thought he looks more like a corner outfield long term.

#21 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

I just found this writeup of Jeff Johnson's from a couple days ago:

Kernels’ new CF “ist ein guter baseball-spieler”

In the article Kepler has this to say about his elbow injury:

“It took me awhile to get back, but it’s better. A lot better, a lot stronger,” Kepler said of his elbow. “It was depressing, very depressing to go through. It felt like I went through a depression. But injuries are a part of baseball. You’ve just got to fight through it.”

In other news, Kepler got a single and walked in a run yesterday, meaning he's on a 6 game hitting streak. Not bad for only playing 7 games! Hopefully the elbow issues are entirely behind him.

#22 2wins87

2wins87

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:41 AM

First CR Kernels game and Max really helped me get over missing the Buxton era...was supposed to see them April 17th but was rained out. Kepler looks like the real deal but with his size does he really project as CF prospect? I thought he looks more like a corner outfield long term.

He probably fits best in LF. He's not as fast as he was when he was younger and smaller and his arm is probably just average.

#23 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

In an interview a couple of summers ago Kepler mentioned more than once that he aspired to be a Josh Hamilton type. Hamilton is listed on Baseball-Reference as 6-4, 225, which is the same height and just a few pounds heavier than Kepler now. Hamilton has played plenty of CF, so I don't think it's out of the question based on size alone. I don't think Kepler would ever be playing CF on the same team as Buxton or Hicks though.

#24 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

Kepler had the game-winning walk-off single Sunday afternoon for Cedar Rapids. That's their 10th straight win to start the second half of the MWL season.

The Kernels Board of Directors has a tradition where they treat the team to dinner at an Amana Colonies restaurant any time they put together a 10 game winning streak, so yesterday's win accomplished that. If you're not familiar with the Amana Colonies, it's a German community and the restaurants specialize in German food (as well as American) and largely serve "family style" which means the side dishes, etc., are pretty much unlimited.

Kepler's quote from the MSR postgame account:

"Free meal? That's awesome," said Kepler, who grew up in Berlin. "So schnitzel and bratwurst? Sauerbraten? I'm really excited. I haven't had German food in awhile, so I'm really excited for that."

Check out Jim Ecker's full article:
Kepler earns German feast with big hit

#25 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

Kepler had quite a week, especially considering it was his first full week in A-ball. He hit .273/407/636 (1.044) on the week including 2 doubles, 2 homeruns, and a walkoff single to give the Kernels their 10th straight win and a free meal. Check out the metro sports report article linked in the post above for a couple nice quotes. In the field, Kepler played center field in 4 games, right field in 1, and was the DH once.

Here's an interesting stat - Kepler has 11 hits so fat this year, and only 4 of them are singles. The other 7 are 5 doubles and 2 homeruns. All of that makes his slugging percentage (.550) exactly double his average (.275)

#26 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

Kepler launched a mammoth home run, against the wind, in Monday night's game and then added a triple later. Gotta wonder if Mike Pelfrey tried to stuff Kepler in the trunk of his car and take him back up to Minneapolis with him.

#27 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

Kepler had an up-and-down week at the plate, with monster games on Monday (HR and Triple) and Friday (4 for 5 including a double), but went 0 for 3 on Thursday and 0 for 5 on Saturday. All together he had a great slash line for the week of .345/.367/.553 (.918). His 4 hits on Friday brought his average for the year over .300, and his full year slash line is now .304/.377/.551 (.927).

Kepler played 4 games in Center,2 at DH, and one game at first base on Wednesday. He played 3 games at first back in 2011 at Elizabethton, but other than that has always been an outfielder.

#28 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,265 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

Seeing Kepler in 2 games and batting practice, and SDBuhr may agree... Kepler is incredibly impressive. Size, good speed, decent defense. Incredibly quick, powerful bat! Jake Mauer glowed about him. The only question is how big he will get and what position he will play.

#29 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:34 AM

Kepler had a rough week, going 1 for 22 with 9 strikeouts. This slump brought his numbers for the year down quite a bit to .242/.303/.429 (.732). Hopefully things will turn around this week!

#30 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

His splits are concerning. He is flailing against lefties. 10 SO in 23 ABs against lefties is very poor. He is going to have to get better.