Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Wet Wednesday in the Minors

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 781 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...y-in-the-Minors

#2 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:28 PM

Will Fort Meyers every lose?
Sano had 2 errors today in the same inning, leading to 4 runs. - One fielding, one throwing.
IF he can't stick at 3B his status as a prospect goes down. Still a fantastic hitter with amazing power but he will fall in the Rankings due to positional value.

#3 Pitz

Pitz

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:43 AM

I don't think Sano's status as a prospect is really tied to his position much. It seems that most rankers I've seen already thought that he was unlikely to stick at third and still ranked him highly so I don't think a position shift would cause a fall in the rankings. His ranking is about his bat.
It would be great for the Twins if he could stick at 3rd. But, if his bat gets anywhere close to its ceiling, I don't think it'll matter too much which position he plays.

#4 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:53 AM

I was listening on the radio when Sano made the errors. Stuiffie was getting hit hard and then finally had a grounder that should've been an out and Sano bobbled it. Very next hitter and Sano fields cleanly but airmails the throw to first.

However, an inning or two later, he made what sounded like a quick reaction/medium hard fielding play, maybe to his right, and then threw a total strike to first to nail the hitter. With that arm, I love the potential at third. Hell, if Miguel Cabrera can do it...

#5 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

If they won't promote him until his glvoe is ready, we lose years of HRs and watching Parmalee man first.....or RF.

#6 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

Why does Josmil Pinto not draw more attention?

His line last year between Ft. Myers and NB was .295/.362/.844. He hit 14 homeruns and only played in 117 games. He is 24 and still in AA so that is a minor knock but some develop later. Hermson and Rohlfing have gotten some attention lately without super impressive numbers. It seems strange that Pinto would not grab more attention. The twins seem to have locked into at catcher, FB, DH rotation which I like because it seems to keep folks healthy and keep their bats active in the lineup. For next season could he be a solid contender to take the part the Doumit currently plays. Doumit could be a valuable trade piece this year if a front running team has a catching need.

Thoughts anybody?

#7 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

Pinto
He is on the 40 man roster so clearly the twins like him. His previous years were not amazing so he didn't jump on many people's radar. But if he repeats his performance from last year he will get a lot of notice.

#8 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

I was listening on the radio when Sano made the errors. Stuiffie was getting hit hard and then finally had a grounder that should've been an out and Sano bobbled it. Very next hitter and Sano fields cleanly but airmails the throw to first.

However, an inning or two later, he made what sounded like a quick reaction/medium hard fielding play, maybe to his right, and then threw a total strike to first to nail the hitter. With that arm, I love the potential at third. Hell, if Miguel Cabrera can do it...

Two things: First, he didn't airmail it to first he airmailed it to home, which was a force play. Second, he made a play that anyone should make, it's just that when he does everyone including the announcer is surprised, and I'm not sure that throw to Vargas was a strike. I know Vargas dug at least one from him on the bounce. He's got miles to go before he can even be considered at 3rd base.

#9 TwinsFanInPhilly

TwinsFanInPhilly

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

From what I have heard he has already come miles, so it is not a foregone conclusion that he won't be able to continue to grow as a fielder. And isn't he one of the youngest players in the league? Why gripe about not promoting his faster?

#10 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

Clearly his glove's not ready for the next level, but let's wait awhile before declaring that his bat is. Early indications on that are great, but it's early.

#11 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

Clearly his glove's not ready for the next level, but let's wait awhile before declaring that his bat is. Early indications on that are great, but it's early.

A nice thing I see is that if his performance merits going to AA before the end of this summer, it is not like the fielding is harder. The pitching he will see will jump in quality but the grounders will not come any harder.

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,228 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

I agree birdwatcher. I'll be watching Sano's strikeout numbers this year. I'd like that K% to at least stay the same, and ideally improve a little bit. I think there's little question that Sano will likely move up to New Britain for the second half, probably along with Rosario, where he will again be the youngest player in the league.

#13 TwinsAce

TwinsAce

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

One thing nice about Sano being in High-A is that Doug is the manager. I'd imagine he is faced with at least part of the task of getting Sano to use the glove better.

#14 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

One thing nice about Sano being in High-A is that Doug is the manager. I'd imagine he is faced with at least part of the task of getting Sano to use the glove better.

And his batting gloves less

#15 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

What's the prognosis on Pinto's defense behind the plate? A solid year at AA/AAA this year could certainly put him in line for a spot behind Mauer if he's not a Matt LeCroy on D.