Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Can we please end the Dozier era now?

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

The guy is not a major league player and will just end up being another nobody in the long line of terrible Twins middle infielders of the 2000's also shame on Gardy for letting him hit as the tieing run in the 9th

#2 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

I agree that he should have been pinch hit for in the 9th today.
Might be a bit too soon to call his career dead though.

#3 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

The guy is not a major league player and will just end up being another nobody in the long line of terrible Twins middle infielders of the 2000's also shame on Gardy for letting him hit as the tieing run in the 9th

To make room for...?

Agree that Dozie is a sub-optimal candidate for middle infield competency. But the heads to call for are several floors up.

#4 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

Mr Brooks and LaBombo are correct on this one

#5 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

Place-holder.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#6 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

Carroll>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DeRosa >>>>>>>>>> Dozier

#7 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

I agree that he should have been pinch hit for in the 9th today.
Might be a bit too soon to call his career dead though.

Remember that the OP is probably in an "extra-spirited" mood and location for editorializing.

#8 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

Hope you didn't drive home from the game, Dave.

#9 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

Hope you didn't drive home from the game, Dave.

Haha, I live in NYC haven't had a license in half a decade.

#10 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

oh, you're from New York...

#11 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

I'm just glad that we've all agreed Chris Parmelee is a MLB-calibre player.

#12 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

Why not Brian Dinkelman? Decent fielder, and he hit over .300 in his brief stint with the team last year. Either him, or just move Escobar to 2B and use Dozier as the utility man.

#13 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

Can we please end the Plouffe era? Can we please end the Parmelee era? Can we please end the Hicks era? Can we please end the Florimon era? Can we please end the Doumit era? Can we please end the Escobar era? .....
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#14 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

Dozier as util I could handle. He just will never hit enough to be an everyday player (as I have stated for the past year+) his approach at the plate is consistently terrible.

#15 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

Can we please end the Plouffe era? Can we please end the Parmelee era? Can we please end the Hicks era? Can we please end the Florimon era? Can we please end the Doumit era? Can we please end the Escobar era? .....

Big difference, parmelee, plouffe and Doumit have all shown big league success. Hicks is a top tier talent who prob has been rushed, florimon and Escobar are both AAAA players just like Dozier.

#16 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

How the end of the era for this infielder?

Age 25 rookie

224/260/311

Age 26

155/184/206

#17 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

Eh, this is just Dave being Dave. Too soon. Sadly, he's got the most potential of our crap MI possibilities.

Would be nice if he put together a decent at-bat from time to time though.

#18 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

Big difference, parmelee, plouffe and Doumit have all shown big league success. Hicks is a top tier talent who prob has been rushed, florimon and Escobar are both AAAA players just like Dozier.

Dozier has 364 mlb PA's.

Plouffe after 1st 364 mlb PA's: .226/.272/.343/.615, 10 HR, 3.4 KK/BB
Dozier after 1st 364 mlb PA's: .228/.261/.326/.587, 6 HR, 3.9 KK/BB

Giving up on Dozier after 364 PA's would be as silly as giving up on Plouffe after his first 364 PA's.
But, I can't say this surprises me, considering a TON of people wanted to bail on Plouffe as well.

#19 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

Calm down. How many major league teams have a player batting 8th in the lineup that is going to do much different than Dozier did? Mauer/Morneau/Willingham have grounded into game ending double plays as well. Lets get rid of them too!

You aren't going to have 9 guys batting every day that you wouldn't want to replace. Look at any team in the majors and there will be a guy that no body wants on their team. It's just the way it is. He's been fielding as well as you could ask for and he isnt hitting that terrible for the 8th spot.

We are 7 games in on a season that should end with us near the bottom of the division. I can't believe people are calling for heads already! We are 4-3 and were expect to be 1-6 at this point. Step off the ledge!

#20 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

Dozier will be lucky to be an average or better starter but it would be silly to bail on him. At this point I would be thrilled if he was a below average starter since all of the other options are well below that.

#21 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

Calm down. How many major league teams have a player batting 8th in the lineup that is going to do much different than Dozier did? Mauer/Morneau/Willingham have grounded into game ending double plays as well. Lets get rid of them too!

You aren't going to have 9 guys batting every day that you wouldn't want to replace. Look at any team in the majors and there will be a guy that no body wants on their team. It's just the way it is. He's been fielding as well as you could ask for and he isnt hitting that terrible for the 8th spot.

We are 7 games in on a season that should end with us near the bottom of the division. I can't believe people are calling for heads already! We are 4-3 and were expect to be 1-6 at this point. Step off the ledge!

He's not? How bad would it have to get to be considered bad for the 8 spot?
As you can see from my previous posts, I think Dozier should improve, and even if he doesn't he deserves more time to see if he can, but RIGHT NOW, he's hitting terrible for any spot in the lineup other than maybe #9 in the NL. (The pitcher's spot).

He's 3/24 (.125), with 1 BB, 7 K's, and 1 XBH.

#22 snepp

snepp

Speediest Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

For context, last season AL hitters OPS'd .676 in the 8th and .641 in the 9th spots
"Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
- Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

#23 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

It seems to me that in a season billed by many here as "2013 is to find out what we have for 2015" it might be premature to install a 39 year old in the starting lineup before you're forced into it. Or switch to another young-ish infielder with even more suspect hitting skills, for that matter.

#24 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

It seems to me that in a season billed by many here as "2013 is to find out what we have for 2015" it might be premature to install a 39 year old in the starting lineup before you're forced into it. Or switch to another young-ish infielder with even more suspect hitting skills, for that matter.

This. I'm not going to pretend Dozier is the answer in the middle, but he's got more potential than just about anyone. Personally, I'd like Escobar and Dozier handle the middle infield for the season and see if they improve... If they don't, then plan for a stopgap until Rosario, Michael, and/or Goodrum are ready.

#25 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

I think it's too early make any judgements about Dozier. It was just a couple of days ago when some thought Parmelee was looking lost at the plate.

#26 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

Ummm....I think he made a play behind second base to get the Twins out of an inning tying run scored. I think it might be a bit early to write him off. Of all our middle infield suspects, he probably has the greatest upside and deserves the longest leash.

#27 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

At least he is holding up his end on defense. Man, the guy is playing hard out there and I know that is what Gardy wants. Hopefully his bat starts to come around too. The potential is there, reminds me of Brendan Harris at the dish.... too bad Harris was a terrible fielder.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#28 snepp

snepp

Speediest Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

The potential is there, reminds me of Brendan Harris at the dish.... too bad Harris was a terrible fielder.

Dozier doesn't take nearly enough called 3rd strikes.
"Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."

#29 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

Dozier doesn't take nearly enough called 3rd strikes.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR148GvD8UZA4BQDO6lHMmzjX0YOnQ9RyDMMskaI0e26yyOM4CQ

credit to thatstwinsbaseball.com
This was my favorite, and most lasting image of the BH era.

#30 snepp

snepp

Speediest Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

The look on his face after taking an obvious strike right down the middle was always the best.

Side note, you should throw that in the funny images thread for posterity's sake.