Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Three-Bagger: Pelfrey, Power and Pedro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:48 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...Power-and-Pedro

#2 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:03 AM

I'm sure there's a stat guy who will be comparing the steady but unspectacular defense of Escobar against the spectacular but erratic play of Florimon. It's hard for me to say right now which I prefer. Florimon gets to a lot more balls, so he might be excused for the occasional miscue. But if they become too plentiful, it will be awful tempting to make the switch, especially when Escobar has the better bat.

#3 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:02 AM

I'm sure there's a stat guy who will be comparing the steady but unspectacular defense of Escobar against the spectacular but erratic play of Florimon. It's hard for me to say right now which I prefer. Florimon gets to a lot more balls, so he might be excused for the occasional miscue. But if they become too plentiful, it will be awful tempting to make the switch, especially when Escobar has the better bat.

It was Escobar with the defensive reputation in the minors. I have not seen a report about his defense being unspectacular. BBA listed him as the White best defensive middle infield prospect 4 straight years. Florimon reports were of flash and inconsistency. There is a reason why he was DFA'd twice last year with all other team's passing.

#4 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

Pelfrey's health is a nice surprise. Fans wanted Marcum and Baker but both of them opened the season on their teams 15 day (Marcum) and 60 day DL (Baker). If we had those two instead of Pelfrey and Correia, and with Diamond and Deduno's injury, our rotation would've been Worley, Hendriks, De Vries, Walters and Duensing? Hernandez?

Not saying Pelfrey/Correia are going to be even good but if they can stay reasonably healthy and let Gibson, May, Meyer etc get experience before being called up, that'll help a lot.

#5 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

Looks like Escobar is in the lineup today in place of Florimon, so we'll have a chance to compare.

#6 Aaron Cross

Aaron Cross

Banned

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

I know very little about Escobar, although I've heard Nick Punto comparisons. Is he another Nick Punto?

#7 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

There is no such thing as another Nick Punto. Punto is pretty much the Twins' idea of the best weak-hitting, great fielding utility infielders that I have ever seen. Nobody can stand up to his legacy and survive (except for Cuddy, and he did both fielding and hitting well, so he doesn't count.)