Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Chris Parmelee

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Chief_Roberts

Chief_Roberts

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

We've seen this act before from him. Gets to the majors, struggles, starts pressing and then struggles even more. :banghead:

How long is his leash? His minus defense doesn't help his case and it's not like the Twins can afford another liability in the outfield with Chillingham in left. His throw to nab Torii at third was admittedly nice but that's not much in his favor.

I know we are only two games in but how long will the Twins put up Parm this year?

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,425 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

While hitless, he has drawn 2 BB (and should have drawn a third but bungled the AB) in 8 PA. This shouldn't be a concern for several more weeks. He has shown good discipline, which I'll take over two bloop singles because it's more sustainable and shows a solid approach.

#3 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

CUT HIM, FIRE HIM! #SEASONSOVER
Wait...let's give it some time.

#4 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,213 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

He needs some time, but I'd love to see Wilkin Ramirez start vs LHPs.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

How long is his leash? His minus defense doesn't help his case and it's not like the Twins can afford another liability in the outfield with Chillingham in left. His throw to nab Torii at third was admittedly nice but that's not much in his favor.

I know we are only two games in but how long will the Twins put up Parm this year?

In his 2nd game of the season, Austin Jackson's bungling in CF yesterday cost his team a victory- of course he has a body of work. How about we let Parm do the same before we break out the pitchforks, tar and feathers.

Besides, until Arcia is really ready, there really aren't a lot of strong alternatives.

#6 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

He needs some time, but I'd love to see Wilkin Ramirez start vs LHPs.

Platooning? What's that again?

#7 James

James

• Members
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

I think this thread may be jumping the gun a little bit.
You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

#8 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

I know we are only two games in

+1, my brother.

#9 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

The Twins need to find out if he can hit this year and if he is an answer to 1B if Morneau leaves. It's unfortunate that means that he will be playing in RF a lot but I'm confident that it will only be half of a season.

I also think your proposed handling of the situation is exactly what many of have complained about in the past with Gardy. Young players have ended up in his doghouse and subsequently received sporadic playing time for several seasons. And then they broke out once given consistent playing time. Let Parmelee have a couple of months so we can get a good luck at what his potential is instead of putting him into the no-man's land on Gardy's bench.

#10 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,826 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

"Said Sugar... Take it slow and we'll come together fine... All we need is just a little patience".

A little patience and 15 years later "Chinese Democracy".

#11 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

I think this thread may be jumping the gun a little bit.

Ya, but is it jumping the shark?
Lighten up Francis....

#12 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

We've seen this act before from him. Gets to the majors, struggles, starts pressing and then struggles even more. :banghead:

If they want to see if he can develop, he needs 1000 plate appearances.

#13 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

To pile on to the refutation of the original post, his defense in RF isn't going to be much of a factor in whether or not he stays in the big leagues. Pretty much no person in the history of baseball who can hit and isn't too old has ever lost an OF job due to defense.

#14 jm3319

jm3319

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

Gotta love early season knee-jerk reactions...

By the way, anyone know the route of the Twins' World Series Parade? On pace for 108 wins. All those offseason worries were for nothing!

#15 Lesser Dali

Lesser Dali

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

Gotta love early season knee-jerk reactions...

By the way, anyone know the route of the Twins' World Series Parade? On pace for 108 wins. All those offseason worries were for nothing!

Before we start worrying about the parade route, I am of the opinion that we as Twin's Fans need to find a replacement for the ancient and obsolete Homer Hanky. I could very well see that hampering the Twin's destined march towards their inevitable goal of claiming the World Series Trophy.

I have a few ideas:

1. The Pelfrey Purse
2. The Plouffe Scoop

Anyone else?
...and it's nice enough to make a man weep,
but I don't weep, do you?

#16 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

With the risk of also taking a beating, I have to say, despite the tone of the OP's first two paragraphs, his third seemed very hypothetical, and it actually is a good question. No one, including the OP is advocating a Parmelee demotion, but how long do you give him the job if he does end up struggling?

In the big picture, Parmelee may not be a huge piece of the puzzle, but his presence on the 25 man roster is balanced by two large and opposite variables. If star prospect Arcia deserves a promotion should the Twins block him be sticking with a hypothetically struggling Parmelee? On the other hand can you really resolve the Morneau delimma without a firm opinion of Parmelee's future abilities?

#17 twinstalker

twinstalker

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

Heh, normally I'd say wtf, it's three games (now). But his PAs aren't Parmelee PAs, he's completely overwhelmed at the plate, as evidenced by consistently letting third strikes be thrown down the middle of the plate. Absolutely sure it's mental and a confidence thing this moment, so much so that something similar to the original post crossed my mind. The thing is, you hardly notice when something like this happens for three games in the middle of the season, but it's been pretty bad.

My first year in little league I had no clue. I either struck out or walked in every PA. That's what Parmelee seems like right now. Here's hoping his smash off Fielder turns him around and restores his confidence. For me to even comment on such a small sample means I see something that's not right and not likely attributable to noise. He looked that bad.

#18 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,826 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

Before we start worrying about the parade route, I am of the opinion that we as Twin's Fans need to find a replacement for the ancient and obsolete Homer Hanky. I could very well see that hampering the Twin's destined march towards their inevitable goal of claiming the World Series Trophy.

I have a few ideas:

1. The Pelfrey Purse
2. The Plouffe Scoop

Anyone else?

Can we consider all Twins players or do their last names have to start with the letter P. ;)

#19 Lesser Dali

Lesser Dali

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

Can we consider all Twins players or do their last names have to start with the letter P. ;)

Of course all Twin's players are to be considered. Because I am in such a positive and peppy state of mind right now, the P's must have infiltrated my subconscious.

Oh, I have another one: The Parmelee Pancho... Damn, I see what you mean.
...and it's nice enough to make a man weep,
but I don't weep, do you?

#20 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:50 PM

Give Parmelee all the time he needs, or until Arcia is ready to come up, whichever happens first. No need to panic, the Twins are winning, the season is young, and there's a chance he could be an everyday regular out there in RF until A) Morneau is traded becasue Parmelee figured out how to hit or B) Arcia comes up after mashing AAA and Parm continues to look hapless. Hope, my friends, hope, hold on to it tightly and look to the horizon for brighter days ahead.

#21 fairweather

fairweather

Banned

• Banned
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:13 AM

I have a few ideas:

1. The Pelfrey Purse
2. The Plouffe Scoop

Anyone else?

How about a giant foam bat with a hole right though the sweet spot.

#22 fairweather

fairweather

Banned

• Banned
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

Seriously lay off Parm guys. The dude is from California and probably hasn't played much in 30 degree weather hence his terrible look at the plate for the first 3 games. Not saying that's for sure the issue but I've lived in Minnesota a long time and still cannot move regularly or in a loose fashion in the cold. Just saying some people really can't function at a high level if they're cold.

#23 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

He's paid to be a professional athlete. The cold is a lame excuse, imo. It's his job. But I do agree wtih those saying he should be up here until either Arcia forces him out (as he's clearly the better prospect, and should be up here when he's ready), or he's proven to be bad for 3 months. Give him more time, there is no one else ready right now.
Lighten up Francis....

#24 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

How long do we keep Arcia in Rochester if he hits .350? Parmelee will probably fold under the pressure. Extend Morneau if the price is reasonable(I have seen comments that his reps approached the Twins on an extension). If Parmelee can't handle the pressure here, maybe he is only a AAA ballplayer. There have been many of these in history.

#25 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

I hope the Twins are more patient than many on this board.

Kubel's progression by OPS+

Cuddyer

Parmelee's career OPS+ is 110. Last year it was 85.

If the Twins are patient, they may get production like they saw from Cuddyer and Kubel in their 4th or 5th season as a ceiling. A Randy Bush type career is closer to the floor if they are patient.

#26 StormJH1

StormJH1

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

Yeah, I'm starting to get tired of Parmelee, and it's not because of three games. Outside of a pretty meaningless September when he first came up and nobody had "the book" on him, when has he ever looked like a legtimate "corner outfield" or 1B bat? He ain't Kubel...heck, he ain't even Jacque Jones at this point. I'm giving him more time, but he's being given opportunities and needs to grab them soon because "the next wave" is coming.

#27 Haddyz

Haddyz

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

In the big picture, Parmelee may not be a huge piece of the puzzle, but his presence on the 25 man roster is balanced by two large and opposite variables. If star prospect Arcia deserves a promotion should the Twins block him be sticking with a hypothetically struggling Parmelee? On the other hand can you really resolve the Morneau delimma without a firm opinion of Parmelee's future abilities?

Thank you for adding to this one. You're right on. Because the Twins honestly don't care about Parmelee in RF. They care about Parmelee at 1B.

If they have no one that can claim the 1B position, in season, or next season, then they have to retain Morneau with at least that qualifying offer for a year. Or we will be watching Miguel Sano move to 1B immediately at Fort Myers/New Britain.

Parmelee might hit .215 to open the season again, but he'll settle into a .250/.350/.450 kind of guy once the confidence is there. Now, for a RF or 1B, that's not fantastic by any stretch, but it's serviceable until someone can take it over. Anyway, he has ZERO confidence right now. Look at how Aaron Hicks first 3 games have gone. Way too similar for our tastes. They both just need that confidence and they'll settle in and get rolling.

If you wait long enough, he has the same plate makeup as Jim Thome, with a little less pop.

#28 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,425 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

I hope the Twins are more patient than many on this board.

Kubel's progression by OPS+

Cuddyer

Parmelee's career OPS+ is 110. Last year it was 85.

If the Twins are patient, they may get production like they saw from Cuddyer and Kubel in their 4th or 5th season as a ceiling. A Randy Bush type career is closer to the floor if they are patient.

This, this, this. I remember going absolutely nuts over at BYTO when people would complain about Cuddyer and Kubel and their relatively slow progressions (much like Parmelee, I think much of the problem stemmed from inconsistent playing time).

Give the kid time to work through his problems.

#29 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,425 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

If you wait long enough, he has the same plate makeup as Jim Thome, with a little less pop.

Probably a lot less pop but still a serviceable player.

#30 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

How much time, Brock, IF Arcia is ready? Let's say Arcia is ready June 1, and Parmalee is struggling, what do you do? Continue to punt on this year, and keep Arcia down to see if Parmalee can grow? Or bring up the guy that deserves to be up, and do whatever with Parmalee? It's not like the Twins had other options like Arcia sitting in the weeds when Cuddy and Kubes (see, I can be cool) were coming up.

For the guy that said he'd "settle in" to an 800 OPS, that would have put him 33rd of qualifying OFers in all of baseball in 2012, that seems unlikely, and I'd hardly call that "settling in". I'm also not sure how that's "serviceable".
Lighten up Francis....