Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Glen Perkins and the modern pitcher

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:39 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...-modern-pitcher

#2 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:41 AM

Thank you Parker. Fun to read that we aren't the only ones obsessing about stats.

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,278 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

That was a great article. I think that Bannister was kind of the first one to talk about advanced stats and thinking through what he did on the mound. I know that Max Scherzer is another one who acknowledges that he jumps into the stats. I'm really glad that you got some time one-on-one with Perkins and were able to answer these kinds of questions.

#4 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

Nice work, Parker! Fun read.

#5 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

Fantastic article, Parker.

#6 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

Great to see athletes not being immediately dismissive of this. I wonder who most influenced him, in accepting an analytic POV.

I remember Glenn Gostick going over his hand-typed sheets of stats at the local SABR confab in the '80s. In every generation, there are always at least a few trying to do this. Maybe it's gaining more traction.

#7 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,806 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

Nicely written, great interview.

#8 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

Glen Perkins is going to be my new favorite Twin since Denard was traded. Let's see a sub 3 ERA, lots of Ks, and saves!!

#9 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

Glen Perkins is going to be my new favorite Twin since Denard was traded. Let's see a sub 3 ERA, lots of Ks, and saves!!

Settle for a win instead?

#10 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

Sorry to rain on the parade, but if he sustains a pitching-level like today's outing he will be gone by July.

#11 Jim H

Jim H

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

I think that the big problem with f/x data and grading umps based on this, is that the plate has depth. Like Perkins said, where umps miss his strikes is when they catch the front part of the plate and the catcher doesn't end up catching the ball behind the plate. I wonder if f/x data really reflects the depth of the plate. I know that the ball/strike stuff that annoucers use doesn't always seem to reflect that. I know that some people here talk about framing pitches, but where the ball is caught doesn't always reflect where the ball was when/or if it crossed the plate.

I know umpires are being graded on their ball and strike calls. I hope that the data used isn't based on where the ball is caught.

#12 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

Settle for a win instead?

I was happy with that :roll:

#13 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

This was a fantastic read!

#14 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

I think that the big problem with f/x data and grading umps based on this, is that the plate has depth. Like Perkins said, where umps miss his strikes is when they catch the front part of the plate and the catcher doesn't end up catching the ball behind the plate. I wonder if f/x data really reflects the depth of the plate. I know that the ball/strike stuff that annoucers use doesn't always seem to reflect that. I know that some people here talk about framing pitches, but where the ball is caught doesn't always reflect where the ball was when/or if it crossed the plate.

I know umpires are being graded on their ball and strike calls. I hope that the data used isn't based on where the ball is caught.

Pitch F/x tracks where the ball crosses the plate.
It's incredibly accurate. Within 1/2", and 1 mph at most ballparks.
Here is a good link with data measuring it's accuracy at each ballpark. (And this report is almost 2 years old, they are constantly tweaking it for accuracy, so it's safe to assume that it's even more accurate today.)

http://www.baseballp...articleid=13109

Edited by Mr. Brooks, 07 April 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#15 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

Yes it does. Pitch F/X rules a pitch a strike when the ball crosses any part of the plate in the zone.