Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins Home Openers: 1980. 89 Degrees at Gametime

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Teflon

Teflon

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...ees-at-Gametime

#2 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

Really enjoyed the article. I made it to two Twins games at the Met. I'm still mad that the first one, in 1978, was on a Sunday. Carew sat that game for Craig Kusick.

#3 Aaron Cross

Aaron Cross

Banned

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

A Sunday get-away-day lineup! Was Gardy managing back then?

#4 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

Really enjoyed the article. I made it to two Twins games at the Met. I'm still mad that the first one, in 1978, was on a Sunday. Carew sat that game for Craig Kusick.

On the other hand, a lot of people can say they saw Carew play. But how many can say the same about Kusick?

#5 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

On the other hand, a lot of people can say they saw Carew play. But how many can say the same about Kusick?

Apparently 11,685 from that very day:

August 20, 1978 Toronto Blue Jays at Minnesota Twins Play by Play and Box Score - Baseball-Reference.com

#6 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

That was a good read! I remember an opening game in April back in the '60's when it wasn't nearly that hot, but felt unusually warm. I was in the left field bleachers and Calvin only had one beer vendor out there and he ran out. The guy in front of me left his wife on a beer run and came back 3 innings later. As he went to sit back down he spilled both of the beers. I thought he was going to cry.

The whole left field bleachers were chanting for beer the last 4 or 5 innings, to no avail.

I also had Lee Stange tell me how cold the pitchers were on opening day out in the bullpen in 1961. They were still working on the stadium and stuff was laying around, so Lee and a few others gathered up some 2x4's and other wood and started a fire in a big drum. The next day Calvin had some heaters out there for them.

#7 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

Thank you. This article really made me smile.

#8 Teflon

Teflon

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

Found the reason for the Angel's protest from Retrosheet - "Angels protest game based on bullpen mounds being too flat."