Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: The Church of Baseball

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Brendan Kennealy

Brendan Kennealy

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...rch-of-Baseball

#2 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

Great writing.
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,043 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

Yeah, that was definitely a fun read!! Thank you!

#4 cmonhank

cmonhank

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

Wow! This is absolutely beautiful!!! Seriously a perfect description and manifestation of how I feel about the ballpark as well. Thank you so much bkennealy - so simple and honest and from the heart. I hope that you will help me find my seat someday and that somehow I'll just know - or see - the shared sacredness and appreciation that we both have for the ballpark. Probably won't happen, and I'll most likely just spill my beer and be pissed at Capps for blowing a lead - but I sure like to think it would happen like that! :) Can't wait for HOME OPENER!!!

#5 bigd1123

bigd1123

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

Wow! I actually got a little misty eyed there.

#6 davidjcampbell

davidjcampbell

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

Great post!

#7 Brendan Kennealy

Brendan Kennealy

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

I wasn't sure how this would fit in here, so I appreciate the encouragement. Thanks!

#8 Kirsten Brown

Kirsten Brown

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

Yep. Indeed. :)

#9 Neinstein

Neinstein

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

A few other staff members are scattered here and there, wiping bird crap off seats and turning on soda fountains.

It must be awesome to own a piece of space in that ballpark before we fill the seats.
In the past I worked at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts and have some similar feelings about the museum before the morning rush of toddlers and teens occupied the galleries.
Great piece of writing!

Edited by Neinstein, 24 March 2012 - 09:29 AM.

#10 llgallant06

llgallant06

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

This is good, thank you!

#11 puck34

puck34

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

Excellent post! The different ballparks just might be my favorite part of the sport. Each one is unique and part of the fabric of a community. Enjoy the season my friend!

#12 Andrew Bryz-Gornia

Andrew Bryz-Gornia

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

I totally agree with this. It irks my friends a bit that I always refuse to hang out with them before the game in left field, but I enjoy going to the upper deck in center field and hanging out with the usher there. He's nearly old enough to be my grandfather, but him and I chat for about 20 minutes about anything that comes to mind. Then I go over to my section and I take care of my chores. Make sure the door to the elevator lobby is propped open, the lights in the bathrooms are on, position the condiment cart just right, and make sure no seats are broken. When all of this is finished, I just grab a seat and watch what's happening on the field. Listen to the crack of the bat from whomever is at home plate, glance down and see Jerry White with the outfielders, hitting them grounders so they can practice their throws to the cutoff man. If a batting practice ball comes up my way, I pocket it and find a way to secretly give it to a kid once gates open (parents seem to love their child's ability to conjure a ball out of thin air). Being present inside the quiet, empty stadium is a very relaxing feeling.

#13 davidjcampbell

davidjcampbell

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

I totally agree with this. It irks my friends a bit that I always refuse to hang out with them before the game in left field, but I enjoy going to the upper deck in center field and hanging out with the usher there. He's nearly old enough to be my grandfather, but him and I chat for about 20 minutes about anything that comes to mind.

That usher in centerfield is such a nice guy. I've chatted with him a few times during games.

#14 Paul

Paul

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

Nice article. "...she mentioned that there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and 108 stitches in a baseball." Don't be too hard on the movie makers though. The Hindus and Buddhists each have their malas. A kind of "prayer beads" thing that normally have 108 beads each. And I don't know exactly what constitutes a stitch but, I have a book which shows the tool used by Rawlings to stamp out the leather pieces that cover their balls. Each piece has 108 holes punched in it.

#15 danoo

danoo

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

Great Article:D

#16 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 217 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

Awesome. Just awesome. Please don't hesitate to write often. There is plenty of room on this site for prose like this.

#17 robesinfargo

robesinfargo

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:23 AM

Totally agree with your cathedral analogy! Its how I've always described my first visit (1988) to Old Commisky park. Walking in from right field as the sun gleamed through the bleachers onto the green field & walls, the grounds crew prepping for the game vs. the Twins, vendors selling their wares (the best ballpark food i've ever had!). In 1990 I got married to a woman who knew nothing about baseball but after watching Bull Durham she became an instant fan and now has helped raise 2 baseball playing boys.

#18 shawntheroad

shawntheroad

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

This is very cool. Baseball is the only thing in my life that i break out a schedule for in winter and conjure up a battleplan for 6 months.

#19 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

Great job! Last season I was in Target Field before a game because I was able to go onto the field and watch batting practice. I was let in before everyone else and it is really different without fans all over the place.