Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Girl Scout Cookies and Passion in the WBC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lesser Dali

Lesser Dali

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

First and foremost, the Babe Ruth of Girl Scout Cookies is Samoas. CASE CLOSED.

Second, I have been super impressed by the passion and play of the Dominican Republic baseball team in the WBC. If I have been lulled to sleep by the play of some of the WBC participating teams, the DR is making up for it big time.

Even though the DR has a talented team, they are playing with a swagger that has been unmatched. Their confidence and national pride are laid out for all to see. Watching the games they have played is the kind of baseball I would like to see played on a daily basis. I know that is not possible in a MLB 162 game schedule, but I really have not seen it in the postseason lately half of the time.

I imagine there are a lot of factors that go into a player and team’s decision making in letting a player participate in WBC, and in turn some of the best players won’t be able to participate.

One thing is for sure – Every team that participates in the next WBC should take a page out of the Dominican Republic’s playbook and play with their balls to the wall, wear their National Pride on their sleeve, and Fight to the death with passion!!!

Hopefully next time around the WBC rosters will be at their best and at the very least, MLB players will take notice of the way the Dominican Republic has represented itself and implement that passion, play, and exuberance into the 2013 postseason.

Good Luck Dominican Republic!

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,067 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

It is a tough thing... Because we love seeing that kind of passion. It's a lot of fun to see.

But in MLB, it is greatly discouraged. Danny Valencia was bashed for playing with 'swag.' I remember watching Pascual Perez who was incredibly animated on the mound, and he was basically told to stop. It isn't encouraged in MLB, and it's considered in poor taste.

It's a double-edged sword.

#3 Lesser Dali

Lesser Dali

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:02 AM

It is a tough thing... Because we love seeing that kind of passion. It's a lot of fun to see.

But in MLB, it is greatly discouraged. Danny Valencia was bashed for playing with 'swag.' I remember watching Pascual Perez who was incredibly animated on the mound, and he was basically told to stop. It isn't encouraged in MLB, and it's considered in poor taste.

It's a double-edged sword.

What I have seen is a bit different than an "Individual Player" showing unnecessary swagger - Danny Valencia has some talent, but in my book, his swagger is called arrogance. It is foggy for me to recollect Pascual Perez's career. It was in my era, but he has had a brother or two pitch in Bigs, and maybe a nephew, son, etc... Can't say.

I think it is different when a complete team has a swagger. To me that means that they are a congealed team and have the same objective as a whole and they show their unity by expressing it in a everything's on the line, unified, passion movement.

I agree with you on what you said, not that I like it, but I am fairly certain what edge of the sword I would like to be cut with.

Edited by Lesser Dali, 17 March 2013 - 12:06 AM.

#4 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

Pascual's demeanor cause arguably the biggest bench-clearing incident in baseball history. On an individual level, it is very difficult to do. Kirk Gibson said off the record that he enjoyed beating Eckersly in the series because "That ****er has to fist pump every time he strikes someone out. Act like you've been there!"

That said, I think the Twins may have two examples of teams that really got expressive as a team on the field - the Piranha squad and the 91 squad. 1987 was fun to watch, but they weren't as team expressive as the 1991 team. A team with that sort of environment is a whole different issue in the majors, and I think it can be done to a certain level. I doubt that level is fully what we're seeing from the Dominicans, but it's a level above dull at least.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!