Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Gomez gets gonzo cash

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

Who would have predicted $7MM per year for Carlos Gomez.....that wasn't an Onion article, right?

Next time someone says "name one FA that got better when he left....", this looks like one.
Lighten up Francis....

#2 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

Who would have predicted $7MM per year for Carlos Gomez.....that wasn't an Onion article, right?

Next time someone says "name one FA that got better when he left....", this looks like one.

He wasn't a FA when he left.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,073 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

He's gotten a little better, but his contract is primarily based on his defense which he was very good at when he was with the Twins. Offensively, he still barely had a .300 OBP last year. He'll hit some HR in Milwaukee, but this is the going rate for great defensive CF that can't hit much.

#4 LimestoneBaggy

LimestoneBaggy

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

He's gotten a little better, but his contract is primarily based on his defense which he was very good at when he was with the Twins. Offensively, he still barely had a .300 OBP last year. He'll hit some HR in Milwaukee, but this is the going rate for great defensive CF that can't hit much.

Seth, my initial inclination was to post pretty much what you did, but Go-Go had a marketable increase in Slugging%/HR this past year. While I certainly wouldn't use his trade as a knock against the Twins (still believe this was a very good trade IMO), there is some credence to him bringing value with his bat (ironically, his UZR and other defensive metrics seem to be declining). Admittedly, I don't follow the Brewers much. Thoughts?

#5 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

His offense is good from a 7/8 hole hitter in a NL lineup as long as he's used in that way.

The issue of that trade was never Gomez. It was so quickly bailing on Hardy.

#6 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

I think there is still some upside with Gomez, people forget how young and raw he was when he was in the majors (Thanks to the stupid Mets) he will be 27 for the full 2013 season and his home run "spike" last year could indicate he is finally getting those man muscles. Also he had the most stolen bases of his career last year (37) and his SB/CS ratio was fantastic at 37/6.

He is never going to be a high avergae or high OBP guy, but if he keeps up his power you are looking at a guy who at least has an average overall bat. So you have very good speed, very good defense at a premium position and an average bat of a guy who is in the prime of his career. 4/28 has risk, but it could end up being a steal for the Brewers to be honest. If he can build on last years numbers it absolutely is a good deal for Milwaukee.

#7 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

I agree with that, the trade made sense....the next step did not make sense.

Fine, not "name a free agent that left", but "name a player that left".

He hit well, actually, saying he's just a 7/8 hitter in the NL is way undervaluing his offense, imo. Not to mention the stolen bases and homeruns.....
Lighten up Francis....

#8 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

His offense is good from a 7/8 hole hitter in a NL lineup as long as he's used in that way.

The issue of that trade was never Gomez. It was so quickly bailing on Hardy.

I still have issues with that trade, I think they bailed on Gomez (23) way to early and basically traded him away at his absolute low point. Yeah, Hardy ended up playing well for us and we obviously should have kept him around, but keep in mind, Hardy most likely could have been had for ANYTHING at that point since he had already lost his job and spent a good chunk of the season in the minors.

I never understood why the hell they never sent Gomez to the minors to work on his swing.

#9 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

Dude, he left when he was 23, it isn't some shocking revelation that he got better as he aged and got closer to his prime age.

#10 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

I agree with that, the trade made sense....the next step did not make sense.

He hit well, actually, saying he's just a 7/8 hitter in the NL is way undervaluing his offense, imo. Not to mention the stolen bases and homeruns.....

That's only true if he repeats last year. he's only hit >.700 OPS once. If he's closer to .240/.290/.420/.710 then he should stay in the 7 spot.

#11 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

He's gotten a little better, but his contract is primarily based on his defense

And the Twins would pay $5.8 million for premium defense at a premium postion when it came to the man Gomez was traded for.

#12 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

If Gomez repeats hist 2012 season there was a good chance he would have been able to get 40+ million on the open market. FACT

#13 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

Even though he'd been with the big league club in his time here, I have always felt like it was trading a prospect when he was dealt. I assumed even at the time there was a good chance he'd get at least a little better, and possibly quite a bit, along with the chance that he wouldn't and would fizzle out (or bounce around as a bench player). I tend to keep at least a little bit of an eye on some former Twins, and each time I'd check his stats last year I'd have that, "Huh, Go-Go is having a pretty decent year!" reaction. Good for him. I always had a bit of a soft spot for him for some reason.

#14 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

I can tell you he'd be the 8 guy on my favorite squad. With the low OBP (.305 even in his great season last year), he won't be near the top half of the order, so best spot would be 5 or 6 if he's not 7/8. With his combination of speed and that power, it'd be wise to put him 7th so he's not getting pitched around in the 8th spot and still is on base for the pitcher to move over with his speed. Gomez still never topped 500 PA in 2012 even with his production, so there's some legit concern about full-time play.