Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Please read: Twins daily comment policy

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 179 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

Attached File  comment_policy.jpg   53.59KB   270 downloadsTwins Daily prides itself on the community of fans it serves, and understands that the forums, comment sections and blogs are central to their participation and the health of the site. We strive for civil, insightful and passionate discourse that welcomes and challenges all our members and readers. As such, comments of this nature are not allowed:

1. Personal attacks or insults towards other commenters, the post author, journalists, teams, players, members of baseball organizations or agents. (You can be critical, but not personal.)

Examples:
Bad: Gardy is a fat moron who thinks the #2 batter always has to be a middle infielder.
Fine: It drives me crazy that Gardy seems to think that a #2 batter always has to be a middle infielder.

Bad: Your post clarifies the level of ignorance with which I'm dealing. I'll try again. There is just no justification for Butera to be....
Fine: I'll try again. There is just no justification for Butera to be....

2. Inappropriate language, including swearing and related censor bypass attempts, lewdness, and crude terms for body parts, bodily functions, and physical acts. Also, anything offensive relating to race, gender and sexual identity. Overall, we don’t want any language that a parent would not want their kid to see.

3. Juvenile comments or extensive use of text message-type spelling.

Bad: i cant understand why you think TR is good. he's terrible.
Fine: Terry Ryan needs to be fired, and he needs to be fired soon, before he does any more damage.

4. Copying entire stories from elsewhere on the internet. This is copyrighted content, and we want to respect that. If you're pulling a quote or an example to give people a taste of a story, that's fine. If you're copying everything because you're too lazy to summarize yourself, that's not fine.

5. Comments about how you're sick of this topic or it's not newsworthy.

6. No inappropriate avatars or images are allowed.

7. Anything else we deem bad for business.

8. Spam. (This will result in an immediate and permanent ban.)

9. Please be sensitive to the fact that comments relating to race, gender and sexual identity can be offensive, even when there is no pejorative intent. TD encourages humor and attempts at humor, but please be thoughtful about how something might be interpreted by someone who does not know the author.

10. Alternate (alt) accounts. If you attempt to bypass a moderator ban by creating a second account or if you create a second account whose sole purpose is to incite an argument, all accounts (and your IP address) will be permanently banned from Twins Daily.

We invite members to notify us if any comments violate these guidelines so we can take appropriate action, rather than police it (or worse, angrily react) in the comments section. Each comment has a small icon shaped like a triangle with an exclamation point in it. By clicking on this icon, community members can easily notify us of possible violations.

Breaking the rules will result in deleted posts and bans. Attempts to circumvent bans will results in all accounts being permanently banned (along with their IP address).

Both Twins Daily’s founders and the community consider this policy to be a fundamental responsibility for keeping this community healthy and active. This post will remain visible on the "About Twins Daily" page so it is always accessible. In addition, we’ll feature this story on a semi-regular basis as a reminder.

Thank you for your understanding and commitment. Now, back to play time….

#2 PatMearesFan

PatMearesFan

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

i thought forums were supposed to be fun? rules are rules i guess but if someone makes a comment like "blind mice" how is that really that bad especially if its said in obvious jest???

Edited by PatMearesFan, 22 February 2013 - 06:51 PM.

#3 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

That's all pretty reasonable.

#4 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Thank you for reminding us all this is a different site , 1 that is designed to create discussion not hate

#5 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,421 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

I don't think I engage in, or have engaged in, much of the "bad" behavior but there is something about the list with "good" and "bad" that seems stifling to me. I hope that we are seeing this posted again -- and pinned to the top -- because you are anticipating an influx of new posters as the new season starts. I hope it isn't because you are finding it necessary to again try to control the people who have been posting here on a regular basis. To some extent I think people have to use an "ignore" button -- either literally on the site or a mental one. It SHOULD be a fun place to post and to converse with other Twins fans and I would hope that everyone approaches the site with a sense of humor and some tolerance for differing opinions -- after all, while most posters here are fairly rabid fans, none of this is life or death (or frankly all that important in the overall scheme of what should be important in anyone's life).

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

I think the occasional reminder of these policies is important for new members, but also for myself. I often forget some of these. I think they're all good. The one I tend to forget is the one about writing about how annoyed I am about certain topics coming up all the time (Butera, Correia, etc). I think it'd be good to re-post this on the front page monthly even though it is in the About Twins Daily page.

#7 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

• Members
  • 624 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

I feel like I have to say this... I hate A Christmas Story. I apologize for that. I agree that all these rules are very reasonable.
Works on contingency? No, money down!
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#8 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

Perfectly reasonable.

If you bring back the like button... You'd be notified of a like.

#9 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Perfectly reasonable.

I am missing the like button as well my friend.

#10 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

Attached File  image.jpg   22.29KB   2 downloads

#11 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

I miss the like button.
What is said in obvious jest in the author's line of thinking can be missed by 95% of the readers. Although there is an ignore feature I do get tired of the people that contribute little more than lowbrow snark

#12 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

In regards to number 10. If Riverbrian's coworker is a bad apple on Twin's Daily will we then miss Riverbrian's wonderful takes because you would ban that IP address?

#13 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 179 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

Regarding the "like" button, we're battling some bugs and hope to get them resolved in the next week or so. We think it might have had some unintentional consequences, which is why we turned it off. We're not opposed to it, and hope to reintroduce it.

#14 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

In regards to number 10. If Riverbrian's coworker is a bad apple on Twin's Daily will we then miss Riverbrian's wonderful takes because you would ban that IP address?

You'd be able to tell... My co-workers only use an ellipsis when they are omitting stuff from sentences.

I use them... cuz... one period can't stop me.

#15 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Queen.

• Twins Moderators
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

I think the occasional reminder of these policies is important for new members, but also for myself. I often forget some of these. I think they're all good. The one I tend to forget is the one about writing about how annoyed I am about certain topics coming up all the time (Butera, Correia, etc). I think it'd be good to re-post this on the front page monthly even though it is in the About Twins Daily page.

About the same topic coming up over and over again ... with mostly the same comments and sentiments over and over again ... by the same posters over and over again ... is there something the moderators can do about this? I don't think that forum topics need a review process, nor do I like the idea of censorship or stifling pertinent conversation/discussion, but sometimes these topics are beyond beating a dead horse and only help to encourage/create some of the 'bad behavior' these 'rules' are trying to discourage. Just an observation. And maybe the rash of this lately is just getting antsy for the season to start.

#16 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

perfectly reasonable.

#17 twinsfaninsaudi

twinsfaninsaudi

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:04 AM

I think that references to alcohol and drug use should be included in this. If you really want this forum to not have any language that parents would not want their kids to see you should put a stop to all the talk and remarks that casually glorify drinking alcohol. This is constantly taking place on this forum.

#18 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

I think that references to alcohol and drug use should be included in this. If you really want this forum to not have any language that parents would not want their kids to see you should put a stop to all the talk and remarks that casually glorify drinking alcohol. This is constantly taking place on this forum.

As far as alcohol goes, it's a legal activity and one that the vast majority of members do. It's one thing to glorify underage drinking. It's another to remark on it as an adult activity. I'll admit, it's a pretty tenuous line in the sand between that and some other activities, but it isn't our intention to model behavior for humanity. Our intention is to provide a good place to talk Twins baseball. That's the purpose of the rules.

#19 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Frankly, I have not seen any "casual glorification of drinking alcohol" (whatever that may mean) here. Or not even any memorable mentions of it. I dunno... I am a parent of 3 teenagers (one of them adult) and I really think that "shielding them" from any alcohol references makes it even worse when they are on their own. (sorry for the potential "casual glorification?" that may follow but) I have no problem drinking in front of them or say "that beer really hit the spot" when it does, or "this is crap" when it does not.

There is a thin line between "universally acceptable" and "censure". And depends on the universe.

On the other hand, if one lets his/her kids to be on the 'net without supervision, methinks that "casual glorification of drinking alcohol" at the Twins' Daily site is probably the least of his/her problems...

Edited by Thrylos, 24 February 2013 - 06:57 PM.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#20 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,891 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

I think we should definitely turn this into a thread about what good parents do.

In all seriousness, the "language you don't want your kids to see" is probably leaving open this kind of problem. That isn't as clear as I think it's intended to be. Some might see it as very restrictive and others might not take it seriously at all. I think the message is sent by the rest of that paragraph, you could probably just do without that line and save the confusion.

#21 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

In all seriousness, the "language you don't want your kids to see" is probably leaving open this kind of problem. That isn't as clear as I think it's intended to be. Some might see it as very restrictive and others might not take it seriously at all. I think the message is sent by the rest of that paragraph, you could probably just do without that line and save the confusion.

It's a fair point. We'll give that some thought.

#22 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

Jeez what else is there...LOL....ooops sorry!:D Of course I agree with the majority of this post.

#23 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Jeez what else is there...LOL....ooops sorry!:D Of course I agree with the majority of this post.

There is baseball, my friend, glorious in its detail and complexity.

Now that the Twins are actually playing games, there is much more to talk about, and as spring blossoms appear and people focus more on what's happening every day, I expect that there will be a lot less for the moderators to worry about.

#24 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Ha are you saying to cold, disappointing offseason brought out the worst in us? Perhaps a bit.

#25 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Ha are you saying to cold, disappointing offseason brought out the worst in us? Perhaps a bit.

Yes, that was what I was thinking. And even though it never gets very cold in Southern California, I was definitely sharing in the depression.

#26 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Yes, that was what I was thinking. And even though it never gets very cold in Southern California, I was definitely sharing in the depression.

Yeah all that warm weather must have been very hard on you..........................http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcO52ojXLMbPZkPCsQM1CAqUFR0OK88H1wOiC1BGuXf3I7bpYN

#27 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Yeah all that warm weather must have been very hard on you..........................http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcO52ojXLMbPZkPCsQM1CAqUFR0OK88H1wOiC1BGuXf3I7bpYN

Not as hard as all of the beautiful women wearing minimal clothing.

#28 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

Not as hard as all of the beautiful women wearing minimal clothing.

Posted Image

#29 mcrow

mcrow

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

You mean we can't call people ****** and ****** because they're ******** ?

#30 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

You mean we can't call people ****** and ****** because they're ******** ?

Hey! My mother was a ******** (but not ****** and ******).