Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Miller: Don't Read Too Much into Morneau's Blue Jays comments

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,281 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

http://www.startribu...s/78693392.html

Justin Morneau told FoxSports.com's Jon Morosi that it "would be very cool" to play for the Blue Jays someday... This morning, he told Miller that people shouldn't make too much out of those comments.

[FONT=Arial]He later adds, after emphasizing his commitment to the Twins first, that Toronto is "one of those intriguing places, where if you win, you have the whole country behind you. I grew up in Vancouver, and I was a Blue Jays fan. It's nationwide."[/FONT]

#2 LoganJones

LoganJones

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

It's not like he hasn't said it before. If it's really controversial for a Canadian to suggest that it might be fun to play for his country's only MLB team, then the bar for controversy might be resting on the floor.

#3 MarcusE

MarcusE

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

Trade him for Mark Buehrle and a prospect, stat.

#4 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

I've always felt this is a bit of a myth, the Blue Jays aren't nearly the National team as some seem to believe they are. In fact Morneau being a Jays fan is a bit odd, being from BC, they have as many Mariner fans as they do Jays fans. Here in Manitoba, Twins merch is as visible, if not arguably more so that Jays merch and people on the East Coast have an affinity for the Red Sox, it's much more regional.

The Expos were always the more sentimental Canadian choice when they were around, it has to do with most people outside of Toronto hating Toronto, it's kind of a New York thing.

I'd much rather see Brett Lawrie playing for the Twins than the Blue Jays.