Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

BaseballAmerica top 100 drops today

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

I will post twins rankings when it drops.

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

Sano - 9
Buxton - 10
Arica - 41
Meyer - 59
Gibson - 68
Hicks - 72

No Rosario but two top 10 hitters. Not bad.

#3 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

I'm a little surprised at how high Buxton was ranked. Pleasantly surprised actually.

#4 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 1,895 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

I'm a little surprised at how high Buxton was ranked. Pleasantly surprised actually.

He was the top prospect for BA heading into the draft and had a representative debut. Seems about right.

There is an outside chance the Twins could have the top two prospects next year. That would be fun.

#5 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Me too. I've got a healthy skepticism about Buxton. Interesting to see him ranked high in a lot of places, but I think a lot of that is carryover from his pre-draft projection and #2 draft position. This year's performance (and next year's ranking) will be much more meaningful for him.

#6 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

Also interesting that Buxton has a 75 ranking for an arm while Hicks has a 70. I've heard reports that Hicks has one of if not the best arm in the minors.

#7 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

There is an outside chance the Twins could have the top two prospects next year. That would be fun.

Exceedingly outside, I would think. Unless you are referring to a player yet to be drafted or acquired. Sano looks too one-dimensional so far to be ranked tops in baseball, and Buxton is still all athleticism and little performance.

#8 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

Also only saw a few 80's passed out to any of the top 100. Buxton got an 80 for his speed (but he is not as fast as Billy Hamilton) and Sano got an 80 for raw power. Pretty impressive. Meyer got a 75 ranking for his fastball.

#9 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Impressive, thanks for posting.

#10 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

Impressive, thanks for posting.

+1

I'm starting to get excited about Arcia. He seems to be trending in the right direction - a guy that everyone feels maybe they had overlooked and now are wondering why they missed him.

#11 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

BA has a nice podcast on the top 100 too. http://www.baseballa...media/podcasts/

#12 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

Nice. The minors are improved.

#13 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

You have to think Rosario, May, and Berrios aren't far off of this list either. Easy top 200 maybe even 150. Pretty exciting time to watch the farm, just have to hope the bulk of them can develop into big leaguers

#14 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Rosario ranked #65 for KLAW, #112 for Seedlings to the Stars. Berrios was at #121 for Seedlings. Haven't seen May or Kepler ranked, but Law said he anticipates he'll make next year's top 100 barring a setback.

It's entirely possible the Twins graduate two (Hicks and Gibson) and add four (Kepler, Rosario, Berrios, and Austin Meadows). I'm smiling as I type this. Saying the minors are improved is a begrudging understatement, is it not, mike? Just ribbing you.

#15 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

The rest of the AL Central had nine players ranked, none as high as Sano and Buxton. Detroit has Castellanos #21, Garcia #74, and Rondon #95. Cleveland: Bauer #14, Lindor #28; KC: Zimmer #24, Starling #35, Ventura #85; Chicago has Hawkins at #55.

#16 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

The rest of the AL Central had nine players ranked, none as high as Sano and Buxton. Detroit has Castellanos #21, Garcia #74, and Rondon #95. Cleveland: Bauer #14, Lindor #28; KC: Zimmer #24, Starling #35, Ventura #85; Chicago has Hawkins at #55.

That is pretty fantastic news. The Twins farm system is head and shoulders above the rest of the AL Central.

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

+1

I'm starting to get excited about Arcia. He seems to be trending in the right direction - a guy that everyone feels maybe they had overlooked and now are wondering why they missed him.

Not everyone overlooked or missed him... but that's why people come to TwinsDaily.com every day, right? :)

#18 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Logan (North Dakota): How far off are Trevor May and Eddie Rosario of the Twins?

John Manuel: Rosario is close. If we'd debated him more I bet we'd have moved him up from the 130s because of the bat. Not sure where he winds up defensively, that seems to be the biggest question. Trevor May on the other hand did not appear on any Top 150 ballot. Seems like the BA consensus is he's going to wind up in the bullpen due to his repeated issues with throwing strikes. Good arm, but there are a lot of good arms in the minor leagues.

Too bad the like button has been removed, because I got a question into the chat...boom. Does this make me a TwinsDaily celeb?

#19 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 1,895 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Exceedingly outside, I would think. Unless you are referring to a player yet to be drafted or acquired. Sano looks too one-dimensional so far to be ranked tops in baseball, and Buxton is still all athleticism and little performance.

You're probably right, but on the current list only Bogaerts and (probably) Cole rank ahead of them and will still be on the list next year. As I said, outside chance.
Papers...business papers.

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

It's entirely possible the Twins graduate two (Hicks and Gibson) and add four (Kepler, Rosario, Berrios, and Austin Meadows). I'm smiling as I type this. Saying the minors are improved is a begrudging understatement, is it not, mike? Just ribbing you.

I'd bet a pretty reasonable amount of money that Arcia graduates this year too. Morneau or Willingham (or both) will get traded at the deadline making room for him.

#21 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

+1

I know I'm in a minority here but he should be ranked higher than Buxton... and I think you can make a case for higher than Sano. He's produced and looks like a perennial allstar. He's more rounded than Sano and has much better results at much higher levels than Buxton.

#22 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

It has Hicks as a 55 for speed???

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

I know I'm in a minority here but he should be ranked higher than Buxton... and I think you can make a case for higher than Sano. He's produced and looks like a perennial allstar. He's more rounded than Sano and has much better results at much higher levels than Buxton.

Someone could certainly make the case, but Prospect Rankings generally have very little to do with actual on-field production. It's about upside. Now, I think Arcia has All-Star upside, but Buxton and Sano's upside is higher.

#24 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

But most of Baseball rates power-hitting very highly--much higher than the Twins organization. I concur with your assessment of Buxton--just not enough "body-of-work" to truly evaluate. I think "rankings" should be weight-adjusted for the level at which the performance was evaluated.

#25 grover738

grover738

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

A few things I noticed from the list - there were only six 80 (the highest ranking) given out, and two are Twins prospects.

Gerrit Cole's (Pirates P) Fastball
Miguel Sano's Power
Byron Buxton's Speed
Billy Hamilton's (Reds of/ss) Speed
Bruce Rendon's (Tigers P) Fastball
Roman Quinn's (Phillies SS) Speed

Pretty cool that the only 80 for Power was Sano's.

Anybody else surprised that Sano got a 75 for his arm? I saw him last year when Beloit visited Cedar Rapids, he definetly has a cannon, but a 75? Higher than Buxton or Hicks?

Also, Sano was the only player with two separate ratings greater than 70.

Can't wait to go down to CR this summer. Great park, cheap tickets, cheap beer, players are accessible, I can't encourage people to make the trip enough!

#26 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Scratching my head, trying to figure out why my favorite,Eddie Rosario, got no love. ( ಥ_ಥ)

#27 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

Anybody else surprised that Sano got a 75 for his arm? I saw him last year when Beloit visited Cedar Rapids, he definetly has a cannon, but a 75? Higher than Buxton or Hicks?

Also, Sano was the only player with two separate ratings greater than 70.

Not at all surprised his arm got a 75. Not sure if that number is positional at all, but he has a rocket. So do Hicks and Buxton.

#28 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Nice showing by the Twins. I too believe Arcia should be higher. Next year the Twins should add 3 to the list IMO, while possibly graduating 3. Kepler, Berrios, Rosario, and their first pick of the draft all have a shot at getting in next season. Hicks, Arcia and Gibson might all have lost rookie status for 2014 too.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#29 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

aj (new york): who is a good comparison to oswaldo arcia and where do you see him starting the year?

John Manuel: We've always gotten Bob Abreu comps on his stance and swing. He lacks that patience and speed, but probably has more raw power. Few minor leaguers fit the RF profile as well as Arcia; love that guy's bat.
Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
Spring Training Regular since 2011.

#30 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Also, from "Our Picks For Potential 2014 Top 100 Prospects":
http://www.baseballa...-100-prospects/

John Manuel:
To borrow a phrase from our College Top 25 rankings, Twins center fielder/second baseman Eddie Rosario may have suffered from some poll mechanics. I put 55/High grades on both Rosario and J.O. Berrios but ranked Berrios higher due to his greater importance to the Twins as a potential starting pitcher, and due in part to uncertainty over Rosario's future position. He may not stick at second base and might be a tweener as an outfielder—not the defense for center, not enough power for a corner. But I believe in the bat ultimately and think Rosario could wind up as a Shin-Soo Choo, Nick Markakis or David Murphy type, a corner outfielder who hits for high average, hits a lot of doubles, draws walks and is an above-average offensive player despite average home run power.
Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
Spring Training Regular since 2011.