Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Neal: Who Pitchers On Opening Day?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

Neal runs through the options for Opening Day starter, stating a case for each. If I had to guess right now, I'd go with the dark horse - this guy....

Righthander Mike Pelfrey, 29, has 896 1/3 career innings under his belt. And there are no restrictions on him as he comes back after missing most of last season and undergoing Tommy John surgery -- no restrictions for now.

Who pitches for the Twins on Opening Day? | StarTribune.com

#2 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

With so many question marks, and the de facto ace Diamond probably not ready for opening day, the Twins will go with the veteran Correia.

#3 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

I am hoping that Worley earns this honor. He seems to have the most upside of the likely candidates.

#4 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Correia may just be the most appropriate pick methinks. Very representative of what to expect.

#5 snepp

snepp

Speediest Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Correia may just be the most appropriate pick methinks. Very representative of what to expect.

Nowhere to go but up?

I see some potential here.
"Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
- Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

#6 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Nowhere to go but up?

I see some potential here.

And could give the fans a chance to see most of the bullpen pitchers if he gets lit up and goes 2.2 before getting the hook.

#7 snepp

snepp

Speediest Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

And could give the fans a chance to see most of the bullpen pitchers if he gets lit up and goes 2.2 before getting the hook.

There's an off-day between the first two games, perfect time to empty the pen.
"Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
- Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

#8 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,796 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

Its not too late to give Pavano a call

#9 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

I'm guessing Verlander gets the nod.

#10 LoganJones

LoganJones

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

I am hoping that Worley earns this honor. He seems to have the most upside of the likely candidates.

It makes more sense to line Worley up against a second or third starter. You want to try and get as many mismatches in your own favor. Let a guy like Correia deal with the Verlanders of the world. Last year, KC gave up 0-2 Runs in 50% of his starts. The others were 3-6. If we cut that to 3 runs, it's 22 starts. Verlander had 26 starts of his 33 result in 3 or fewer runs. Verlander often went deeper into many of these games and is head and shoulders a better pitcher. He will be better than every one of the Twins pitchers. Why waste the best outings the team's going to get from their younger pitchers, when you can let a vet take his lumps on days when the team was gonna lose anyway (so to speak)? Particularly, if when you do line it up right and JV has a bad day, and KC has a good one that's a win you weren't looking for?

#11 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

I like the inverted rotation thing,LJ. Could be a Moneyball type innovation.

#12 roger

roger

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

It makes more sense to line Worley up against a second or third starter. You want to try and get as many mismatches in your own favor. Let a guy like Correia deal with the Verlanders of the world. Last year, KC gave up 0-2 Runs in 50% of his starts. The others were 3-6. If we cut that to 3 runs, it's 22 starts. Verlander had 26 starts of his 33 result in 3 or fewer runs. Verlander often went deeper into many of these games and is head and shoulders a better pitcher. He will be better than every one of the Twins pitchers. Why waste the best outings the team's going to get from their younger pitchers, when you can let a vet take his lumps on days when the team was gonna lose anyway (so to speak)? Particularly, if when you do line it up right and JV has a bad day, and KC has a good one that's a win you weren't looking for?

Kind of like matching lines in hockey. Get the diggers and bangers out there against the visiting teams top line.

#13 luke829

luke829

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

I'd suggest giving this a try, couldn't hurt:

Just switch out Super Bowl teams, insert Twins pitchers, and success!

Edited by luke829, 13 February 2013 - 05:47 PM.

Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

#14 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

As long as the Pitchers last name ends with EY... I'm good.

#15 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,796 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

I can't wait till someone poses Gardy a question about Correia in ST so we can thereafter start referring to the poor man as "Crazy."

#16 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

There's an off-day between the first two games, perfect time to empty the pen.

It would give Gardy a chance to get all his new pitchers involved

#17 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

I'd go with Worley seeing as it is such a toss up. He's under team control until 2018, might as well go with the guy you have a chance to build some loyalty with as opposed to the short term guys. That being said, if Harden somehow manages to make the rotation, it's probably going to be him. He actually has the pedigree and I'd have to think he would need to look really good to make the opening day roster, and if he's looking really good, he will be the one generating all the spring traing buzz.

#18 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

As long as the Pitchers last name ends with EY... I'm good.

Let's see if they can make the move to get Slowey back in the fold.

#19 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

Afraid Slowey would insist on working out of the bullpen.

#20 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

Kind of like matching lines in hockey. Get the diggers and bangers out there against the visiting teams top line.

Which usually only happens when one team is much less talented.

#21 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

There will be very few pitching mismatches in the Twins favour this year I'm afraid, certainly none in the opening series.

#22 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

Inverted rotation may work to get better matchups, We are dogs in all Detroit matchups.

#23 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

Neal runs through the options for Opening Day starter, stating a case for each. If I had to guess right now, I'd go with the dark horse - this guy....

Who pitches for the Twins on Opening Day? | StarTribune.com

I think it's a relatively telling state that the worst pitching staff in the league has one pitcher go down and has no clear answer to this question despite having a full offseason

I've predicted Worley, but I could see the Twins giving it to someone like Correia.

#24 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

For the Twins to compete, better be Harden :)
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#25 LoganJones

LoganJones

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

Or then there's this. If Harden could recapture some of his promise and a bunch of health, the rotation starts to sneak into legit territory. Harden you would put up against the JVs and CCs.

#26 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Your opening pitching matchups last through the first series, maybe. After that, off days, injuries, promotions, demotions and a bunch of unknowns make lining up pitching matchups impossible. Worrying about who Detroit has going on opening day is sort of silly.

#27 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Harden you would put up against the JVs and CCs.

Sure, in the sense that technically, the Twins would have to have someone pitch when those guys start against them.

#28 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super friend

• Members
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Drew Butera: strike thrower.
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#29 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

I find it hard to embrace the hope that he can be what he once was. But I don't know any of the fundamentals about what it takes for a pitcher to come back from his injuries.

I attended his first home start when he was with the A's in 2003 and his changeup was absolutely killer - the Indians stood there unable to pull the trigger, time after time after time.

But if he's lost something off the fastball, permanently, can he replicate the old magic? Could be that batters now can say that if it looks like a fastball, treat it like a change up and try to pull it, and if it happens to be a fastball then you may end up going the other way for a base hit instead. As I said, I need someone with better grasp of hitting than I have, to tell me. And if he tries to win with something else than a changeup, then he's not the same pitcher and the previous track record wouldn't count for a lot.

#30 terencemann

terencemann

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

Inverted rotation may work to get better matchups, We are dogs in all Detroit matchups.

The guys at the top of the rotation get more starts since you can take advantage of off-days to give them more rest. This is a very bad idea.