Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Reid Brignac

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

Saw on the main page someone said Twins are interested. I would love a move like this.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,106 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

what are his good points? Specifically, when you look at his age, his offensive or defensive numbers, is he any better than Dozier or Carroll, or even Florimon?

#3 The Greatest Poster Alive

The Greatest Poster Alive

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

what are his good points? Specifically, when you look at his age, his offensive or defensive numbers, is he any better than Dozier or Carroll, or even Florimon?

His only real value is he can probably be signed cheaply... can play a lot of positions... and would be organizational filler. Perhaps it's worth it if he accepts a spring training invite and is willing to play in Rochester if he can't hack it.

#4 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

Wouldn't his status as a prospect as he moved through the minors give him slightly better odds that he will be a useful major league player? His performance at the major league level is not good, but he still is far short of 1000 plate appearances. A change of scenery has helped others in he past.

I wouldn't bet on him. I would bet that he will have a longer major league career as a SS than Florimon or Dozier.

#5 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

Maybe. At least getting a guy like him with some actual talent the Twins would be doing a low-risk move to add some depth to the MI. I don't like Florimon very much. I don't think he would see the light of day on many MLB teams. At least Brignac has had some success. This is the slash stats for SS in 2012 for the Twins 597 AB's .226/.277/.303..... tell me that isn't an unbelievable stat. In 2011 OPS of .612, 2010 OPS of .692 (traded away for bucket of balls). So yes, I think Brignac has a chance to be better than what we have. I'm not looking for him to post an OPS of .700 even, just .650 would be better than what we've seen the past 2 seasons.

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,106 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

I think Dozier is capable of a .650-.670. Brignac has been pretty terrible. I'm not a Florimon guy either, but I don't think Brignac is any better at this point.

#7 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Brignac has had sucess in the minor leagues. Would not cost us much as a utility infielder, may be better than Escobar or Floriman. Could hold position for a year or two until the minor leagues arrive.

#8 Jim H

Jim H

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

I think the Twins really need a shortstop that they can put out there nearly everyday, who can at least catch the ball and make all the routine plays. Neither Florimon or Dozier or really Carroll either, showed that they can be that kind of shortstop last year. Apparently the Twins feel that either Florimon or Dozier can be good enough or we would of seen someone like Brignac sooner than now. I guess I wouldn't mind them adding Brignac, I think he probably is good enough to make all the routine plays. I don't imagine he will hit much better than Florimon, though.

#9 CRArko

CRArko

Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

I think if you're going to bring in Brainiac to play short it would be a good idea to sign Mister Mxyzptlk to play second.

Edited by crarko, 11 February 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#10 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

I don't imagine he will hit much better than Florimon, though.

Brignac career minor league OPS .771 Florimon career minor league OPS .675. I have a pretty good feeling Brignac can hit better than Florimon. He also has about the same range factor and a slightly better fielding %. He might not turn out any better, but if you're going to scrap heap to find starting pitching competition might as well do it for the most inept position on your team as well.

#11 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,800 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

It wouldn't hurt to sign him to a minor league deal but I see very limited upside there. I also think people are forgetting how good Dozier was in the field last year. His glove wasn't the problem, it was his bat. Still, he's the only guy, including Brignac, with any real promise of posting something within earshot of a respectable triple slash line. Even for a 9 hitter.

#12 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

Stats say he may not be worth it... Twins Depth at the positions he can play suggest he may be worth it.

If they sign him... Welcome aboard.

#13 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

He just brings different flaws to the equation than Dozier, Carroll or Florimon. We know Dozier and Carroll don't have the defensive tools to be anything more than a stopgap at shortstop. We know Florimon is a threat to be not quite as good as Rey Ordonez with the stick. If things go right, Brignac could do both of these things. Or neither of them. But it wouldn't cost too much to give him a utility gig or the starting shortstop job in Rochester and find out.

#14 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

Why do I feel like Seth would have more patience with Brignac if he was a Twins prospect? Guy's still only 27.

I also think people are forgetting how good Dozier was in the field last year. His glove wasn't the problem, it was his bat.

By my recollection (and his own admission, I think), both were problems.

#15 Jim H

Jim H

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Too me, the key thing here is what do the Twins want to do with Dozier? If they view him as more of a 2B, well then bring in Brignac and let him compete with Florimon. Since the Twins don't really have either a starting SS or 2B at this point, I wouldn't mind seeing one more guy in camp. Now all of this assumes that the Twins view Escobar as a utility man or perhaps a guy who needs more minor league time.

#16 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

The main plus for Brignac is that he's not named Dozier, Carroll, Florimon, or Escobar, so when one or more of those guys flounder an adjustment can be made.

Who is going to be the Twins shortstop at AAA?

#17 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

. I also think people are forgetting how good Dozier was in the field last year. His glove wasn't the problem, it was his bat.

Yeah...that's just not accurate.

#18 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,800 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

He seemed to get derailed a bit when they went to Cleveland, started playing balls in between hops. Too many errors like that but also there were some borderline brilliant plays mixed in, particularly to his backhand side. Even if his true talent with the glove is less than Florimon's, Florimon is no Brendan Ryan. I suspect we are talking a few runs difference one way or the other, over a full season. To me its a no brainer, go with the better bat.

#19 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 1,903 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

If, as rumored, Houston wants him tbe Twins would have to give something up to get him. Would anyone here give up something of value for Brignac? Probably a relief arm not on the 40 man.

#20 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

If, as rumored, Houston wants him tbe Twins would have to give something up to get him. Would anyone here give up something of value for Brignac? Probably a relief arm not on the 40 man.

Nothing more then a PTBNL or cash considerations.

#21 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

Why do I feel like Seth would have more patience with Brignac if he was a Twins prospect? Guy's still only 27.

Bam...and...Bam...again.

Too many people are too sentimentally enamored with the abounding mediocrity in the Twins system- time for the so-inclined fanbase, as well as the FO braintrust, to read a couple of Schumpeter books about corporate "creative destruction". Been calling for this move for quite some time, but wait, I know we all need to panic about yet another 40 man roster disruption.

Too many people forget too easily that, notwithstanding Gardy's man-crush on Dozier, it was widely predicted that the failure in the Dozier jump to the majors was so easily predictable... and that it represented FAIL on both offense and defense. Hopefully they didn't pull the plug too late with him last year. His 48 game performance in Rochester after his demotion was far less than inspiring about his comeback possibilities.

Edited by jokin, 11 February 2013 - 02:36 PM.

#22 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

I still don't understand anyone's infatuation with Florimon. Dozier was no worse than Florimon if you look a the stats. Florimon had about half the number of errors that Dozier had in a little less than half the chances. He did make some great plays, but his errors tended to come on more routine plays. Dozier might not have the range that Florimon has, but I think he could be at least an average shortstop if given another chance, and his bat wil certainly be better than Florimon.

#23 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Did people really forget what a mess Dozier was in the field last year? I'm not saying he can't be better, but there is a reason he was sent down. Frankly, he wasn't doing much of anything right.

#24 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Rockies got him for PTBNL/cash

#25 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

Rockies got him for PTBNL/cash

That's over. Reid Brignac traded from Rays to Rockies - MLB - SI.com

I actually would have liked the Twins to pick him up, but as some have said, I agree that we should not have had to give up much of anything to get him.

#26 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

That's over. Reid Brignac traded from Rays to Rockies - MLB - SI.com

I actually would have liked the Twins to pick him up, but as some have said, I agree that we should not have had to give up much of anything to get him.

Wouldn't have taken much to get him. But I doubt the Twins were all that interested. Right or wrong, they feel comfortable with the group they've got in the middle infield (Carroll, Dozier, Florimon, Escobar). They've made that clear.

#27 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:23 AM

Wouldn't have taken much to get him. But I doubt the Twins were all that interested. Right or wrong, they feel comfortable with the group they've got in the middle infield (Carroll, Dozier, Florimon, Escobar). They've made that clear.

I just wish they would make it more "clear" why they're feeling so "comfortable". Given that UI Carroll retires or is gone by the end of 2014, the rest all project as UI candidates at best ( with a faint hope for better from Dozier).

It still remains fuzzy to me, but probably only one, if that, makes it over that bridge to the future.

#28 jay

jay

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

Right or wrong, they feel comfortable with the group they've got in the middle infield (Carroll, Dozier, Florimon, Escobar). They've made that clear.

I think the general sentiment here is that feeling is 'wrong'. Brignac wouldn't have been much of an upgrade, but when you only get dealt Deuce-7... you at least want a few hands to see if you can catch some cards.