Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Todd Redmond

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

The Reds released AAA SP, Todd Redmond, yesterday after signing him to a $490,000 contract in November.

Redmond is a big-framed guy, 6'3" and 215#s and will be 28 in May and has the dubious distinction of having his name in the dictionary twice, pictured next to the meaning of "Starting Pitcher, AAAA" as well as "Positional Blocking, Major League".

His 4 years worth of AAA stats are actually pretty decent, he apparently never misses a start and he throws about 72% FBs averaging 89 MPH and has very good K/9 (7.6) and K/BB (3.00) ratios with a AAA 3.78 ERA along with a WHIP of 1.25.

Question??? As these are numbers that vary from much-better to far-superior to what the current "depth guys", Deduno, DeVries, Walters and Hernandez have put up at AAA- and given the fact that he's the same age or younger than everyone except Hernandez- why wouldn't TR pull the trigger on this virtually zero cost option in the Twins favorable waiver postion?

#2 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

The real question is can he pitch to contact...

He would be a great addition to the organization. That being said the Twins (Terry Ryan) would probably have no interest in signing him.

#3 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

why wouldn't TR pull the trigger on this virtually zero cost option in the Twins favorable waiver postion?

Players like Todd Richmond go through waivers in their league first, so the Twins would be second in line if he gets past all teams in the NL. So 15 teams would have to pass on him.

#4 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

It doesn't appear that Redmond and Krivsky crossed paths in the Reds organization. If they had, I would think there would be a better chance that the Twins would consider him.

#5 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

The question should have been phrased more like: "would it make sense for the Twins to sign him instead of a 36 year old (Elarton) pitcher who just doesn't have it any more or a 35 year old catcher who wants to be a pitcher (Lane) or the usual independent league crowd that makes its home in Minnie"

Then I would get it and would say "maybe" (But still would rather see the kids up)
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#6 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

The question should have been phrased more like: "would it make sense for the Twins to sign him instead of a 36 year old (Elarton) pitcher who just doesn't have it any more or a 35 year old catcher who wants to be a pitcher (Lane) or the usual independent league crowd that makes its home in Minnie"

Then I would get it and would say "maybe" (But still would rather see the kids up)

Which "kids" are you referring to, Deduno (30), DeVries (28), Walters (28)? (Being facetious, but still, if you're looking for pitching depth with a still-questionable ML rotation only slightly upgraded from last year, why should any of these guys still be around?) Promote from below and find better replacements on the cheap, Redmond and Hermsen (and maybe Hernandez?) seem to fill the bill.

#7 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

I wouldn't do this. I just don't see that it adds significantly to the pitching picture; it feels like throwing more jello against the wall in the hope something sticks.

I also don't think his numbers are that good - Deduno has better AAA numbers than he does (3.43 ERA, 8.2 K/9). DeVries, Walters, and Deduno also have MLB experience and, while they were inconsistent, they did throw a few good games. Redmond has started in MLB once and got chased in the 4th.

#8 benhertz

benhertz

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

Redmond and Scott Diamond were teammates on the 2010 Gwinnett Braves.

The Twins currently have a full 40-man roster: 22 pitchers, 8 infielders, 5 outfielders, 5 catchers.

#9 iastfan112

iastfan112

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:13 AM

I wouldn't do this. I just don't see that it adds significantly to the pitching picture; it feels like throwing more jello against the wall in the hope something sticks.

I also don't think his numbers are that good - Deduno has better AAA numbers than he does (3.43 ERA, 8.2 K/9). DeVries, Walters, and Deduno also have MLB experience and, while they were inconsistent, they did throw a few good games. Redmond has started in MLB once and got chased in the 4th.

Love how you leave out Deduno's B/9 there, while strikeouts are nice, some measure of control is appreciated as well.

#10 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:25 AM

Love how you leave out Deduno's B/9 there, while strikeouts are nice, some measure of control is appreciated as well.

Deduno is also 2 years older. From pitch to pitch, no control, the tradeoff for one more K/inning doesn't seem worth the wildness, "effective", or not. BB/9 is 2.5/9 vs. 5/9 for Deduno. K/BB almost half of Redmond's number. The major league experience for none of the 3 has been exactly promising about their future as ML starters. If you look at Redmond's career, it doesn't look like he's ever missed a start, so you do have some predictability of what you're going to get, vastly unlike Deduno. Redmond, also, to some degree has been blocked by better pitching staffs in Atlanta and Cincy.

Edited by jokin, 03 February 2013 - 01:56 AM.

#11 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:29 AM

Redmond and Scott Diamond were teammates on the 2010 Gwinnett Braves.

The Twins currently have a full 40-man roster: 22 pitchers, 8 infielders, 5 outfielders, 5 catchers.

Redmond can possibly be picked up on a minor league deal- of the pitchers mentioned, only DeVries and Hernandez are on the 40-man roster and I believe they both have options remaining. Redmond could take one of their spots or possibly join or replace Walters and Deduno in Rochester. Plus the possibility that at least the older 3 mentioned in the OP provide value to the Twins is very debatable.

Edited by jokin, 03 February 2013 - 01:38 AM.

#12 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:49 AM

possibly join or replace Walters and Deduno in Rochester. Plus the possibility that at least the older 3 mentioned in the OP provide value to the Twins is very debatable.

If the Twins need to clean house in AAA it should start with the likes of 35 year old plus had beens (Elarton) and never had beens (Lake). De Vries, Walters and Deduno do have some value. And I would rather see May in Rochester (and it might happen the way TR is talking) than the 2 mentioned above and Redmond. DeVries Deduno and Walters are about the same age as Redmond (28-29) so you are not getting much (like more prime years) by replacing one of them with Redmond.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#13 snepp

snepp

Speediest Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:58 AM

Is he willing to throw nekkid bullpen sessions?
"Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
- Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

#14 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

Is he willing to throw nekkid bullpen sessions?

If that is what you want to see.

#15 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

The Twins would ave to add him to the 40-man, than waive him if they wish to send him to the minors themselves. So, you lose a player potentially and if you decide to send him out, could relose him. Not yet a free-agent, I believe...minors or otherwise.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#16 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,030 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

Doogie just tweeted me that the word from the Redmond camp is that they're hoping the Twins put in a claim.

Other pitcher news, Brandon Webb still hasn't scheduled his tryout/workout that the Twins have planned to be at.

#17 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Doogie just tweeted me that the word from the Redmond camp is that they're hoping the Twins put in a claim.

Other pitcher news, Brandon Webb still hasn't scheduled his tryout/workout that the Twins have planned to be at.

If Doogie tweeted it you gotta believe it to be true.
But, If I could only recall who make a bold statement that Scott Baker was going to be resigned by the Twins. I wish I could remember who said that.
[h=1][/h]

#18 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

If Doogie tweeted it you gotta believe it to be true.
But, If I could only recall who make a bold statement that Scott Baker was going to be resigned by the Twins. I wish I could remember who said that.

Thyrlos posted a couple of mea culpas. That is far better admit of mistakes than 98% of the people here

#19 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

Maybe his skills don't translate to mlb level as well as the current group of Twins emergency or unnatural disaster pitchers. See Anthony Slama 2011

#20 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

Is he particularly interested in the Twins, or is he just hoping somebody (anybody) picks up him because he doesn't want to have to settle for a minor league contract?

#21 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,030 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

This offseason, Doogie has been the most connected member of the media. So I have no reason to doubt him. (Did he say something about Baker re-signing?)

As far as Redmond's desire... who knows. I would think players/agents see an opportunity for starting pitchers in Minnesota.

#22 benhertz

benhertz

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

Is he particularly interested in the Twins, or is he just hoping somebody (anybody) picks up him because he doesn't want to have to settle for a minor league contract?

From his minor league numbers, it looks like he's more of a flyball pitcher. He might enjoy Target Field.

#23 benhertz

benhertz

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

The Baltimore Orioles have claimed Todd Redmond off waivers.

LINK

#24 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

LINK

And they're reportedly backing out of their deal with Jair Jurrjens. As if the guy needed another slap across the face. Isn't this when the Twins sweep in with a 4 year, $20M deal for Jurrjens?
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#25 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

LINK

Have any of our intrepid beat guys around town, on Twitter, or at TD asked the Twins why they didn't put in a no-cost/no-risk claim? Especially as the question marks around the health of the pitching staff are continuing to grow?

#26 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

And they're reportedly backing out of their deal with Jair Jurrjens. As if the guy needed another slap across the face. Isn't this when the Twins sweep in with a 4 year, $20M deal for Jurrjens?

Ben, you obviously have back-story knowledge about both Redmond and Jurrjens, anything to share on why the Twins haven't shown any interest on kicking either set of tires here?

#27 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

Ben, you obviously have back-story knowledge about both Redmond and Jurrjens, anything to share on why the Twins haven't shown any interest on kicking either set of tires here?

Jurrjens makes sense. There's a lot of worry there with his arm issues. He fought the Braves in getting work done, and he's not shown great skill coming back. His velocity, already slow, was WAY down last year.

Redmond I don't get. I would have loved the Braves kicking the tires again. He's not a guy I'd want to rely on for 34 front-line starts each season, but he's got good enough stuff to be a swingman type with some upside to even be more. Yes, he's 28 this year, so there's probably not much more upside than he's shown so far, but he's a smart pitcher that could be solid at the back of a rotation.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!