Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Rays/Royals Blockbuster deal SUN

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

James Shields & Wade Davis got to KC for Will Myers, Jake Orodozzi & Mike Montgomery.
Gotta be good to have a GM willing to take a chance & believe in their moves

#2 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

If Davis doesn't start, I don't really like this deal for the Royals. But it's good to see them actually going for it.

#3 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

Awful trade. One of the top prospects in the game, a guy that looks like a future #3 starter, and stuff, for a number 2 starter you only have for two more years, and a reliever/possible starter. Not a fan. That's like Sano and Gibson and two more throw ins...no way I do that.

I would not have even done Meyers for Shields straight up. Mind blowing.

I can't imagine what rany is typing....
Lighten up Francis....

#4 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

Ah, he typed "this sucks"....
Lighten up Francis....

#5 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

James Shields & Wade Davis got to KC for Will Myers, Jake Orodozzi & Mike Montgomery.

Yeah, I'm sure Royals fans thank their deity daily for Dayton Moore.

#6 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

LOL and we thought we could have traded Span+garbage for Shields.

The Royals gave up ALOT. But I give em credit for going for it all, it seems like the Royals have been in constant rebuild mode over the past 15 years, so at some point you gotta say "**** it" and go for it. I wonder if they try to extend Shields at some point this year.

Myers obviously is the key to this trade but I am a bit suprised the Royals let Orgorizzi go as well. I always thought he was basically a cant miss #3 or so in the majors. To be honest I have never been that impressed with Montgomery, he has had two pretty terrible years at AAA in a row now.

Wade Davis will definitely start, he is nothing special but I can see him being a decent #3/#4 for the Royals at the very least, and he has a pretty awesome contract for them to deal with.

Good trade for both teams, Myers is a stud but there is no guarantee that he dominates in the majors.

#7 Erock

Erock

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

Oh my god. This is a pretty terrible deal for the Royals. If you asked me if I would give up Hicks, Gibson and Hendriks for comparisons sake I would have gave you a big old resounding "NO." and Myers is a significantly better prospect than Hicks and Ordorizzi might have more upside and is younger than Gibson. They just gave up the future for 2 years of a good #2 starter and a good reliver/#4 starter.

#8 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

KC is goin for it.
An ace innings eating horse for 2 more years & a draft pick if/when he leaves.
No guarrantee on Myers/Orodozzi.....could turn out to be as productive as Hosmer/Moose
Well worth it IMO for KC

Like it just as well for TB
Severely limited financially....deal 10m for 3 players who'll make an impact. Rays already have their innings eating horse for 3 more yrs.

#9 jjswol

jjswol

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

Good trade for both teams. KC is going to be an interesting team to watch. I like the deal.
jjswol

#10 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

The royals just got a lot better. They have acquired some pitching this off season, without spending a ton of money. They believe in their core group of position players, so no is the time to add pitching that can preform immediately.

They are giving up a lot in both Meyers and Orodozzi, but if they win and make the playoffs...

#11 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

It seems to me that the trades of Span and Revere are somewhat similar -- trading proven veterans for high level prospects. I also think that the Royals just got a lot better, at least for the next few years.

#12 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

Awful trade. One of the top prospects in the game, a guy that looks like a future #3 starter, and stuff, for a number 2 starter you only have for two more years, and a reliever/possible starter. Not a fan. That's like Sano and Gibson and two more throw ins...no way I do that.

We have been over this, Shields isn't exactly your common #2. The guy has averaged 222 IP each season over the last 6, and of those 6 seasons he has 4 very good ones (close to ACE), 1 meh one, and one bad(read:unlucky) one all in the toughest division in baseball. He's not in the elite class of Ace's with Verlander/Kershaw/King Felix/Sabathia etc but one could make the argument that he is basically just as much of an "ace" as a guy like Grienke.

#13 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

We have been over this, Shields isn't exactly your common #2. The guy has averaged 222 IP each season over the last 6, and of those 6 seasons he has 4 very good ones (close to ACE), 1 meh one, and one bad(read:unlucky) one all in the toughest division in baseball. He's not in the elite class of Ace's with Verlander/Kershaw/King Felix/Sabathia etc but one could make the argument that he is basically just as much of an "ace" as a guy like Grienke.

Agree 100%.....personally dont call him an ace but he's everything you'ld want from one & I dont argue with people who do call him an ace.
HUGE fan of his

#14 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

Horrible trade for KC. Can't imagine they couldn't have gotten better pitchers for Myers. Seattle or Arizona had pitching and needed a bat. Lose their best hitting and pitching prospect and more? Wow. Horrible deal.

#15 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

Wow... Thats quite the trade... The Royals just gave up 3 top 30 prospects. There used to be a time... When one top 30 prospect would fetch something Like Shields and Davis.

Someone should pass a note to Terry Ryan... The note should say... "Don't trade with the Rays ever".

Still the trade could do great things for KC... Their rotation is better... Those young hitters should keep getting better... The Tigers better not be too cocky.

#16 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

me thinks the twins are between a rock and a wet spot ...
so drop the bomb and totally rebuild,adios joe justin and ham

#17 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

Wow... Thats quite the trade... The Royals just gave up 3 top 30 prospects. There used to be a time... When one top 30 prospect would fetch something Like Shields and Davis.

Someone should pass a note to Terry Ryan... The note should say... "Don't trade with the Rays ever".

Still the trade could do great things for KC... Their rotation is better... Those young hitters should keep getting better... The Tigers better not be too cocky.

Montgomery is no longer a top prospect.
Orodozzi is no bigger a prospect than what Wade Davis was when he debuted.
That's the problem with dealing or recieving prospects....dont know how players will turn out. Look at the Johan trade.....Each of the 4 players recieved coulda been percieved as a top prospect.
Sometimes its better to take the 'sure' thing

#18 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

I might like it better if my GM hadn't already over-valued Ervin Santana and Jeremy Guthrie. If those guys are your number two and three arms, your rotation isn't very impressive.

#19 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

9 times out of 10 I'd take the established player over the prospect. I have no problem with this deal from KC's point. Eventually you have to make a move to try and put you over the top. Kudos to the Royals for finally going for it.

#20 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

That's the problem with dealing or recieving prospects....dont know how players will turn out. Look at the Johan trade.....Each of the 4 players recieved coulda been percieved as a top prospect.
Sometimes its better to take the 'sure' thing

Don't know if I agree with you about the Johan Trade... but believe me... I agree about prospects not always panning out... But I also disagree about Shields and Davis being sure things as well. So in the end... A trade is a trade...

The thing that leaps to mind is... the Rays have done it again... They pgrabbed a haul from the Cubs for Garza and now the Royals.

I agree... Montgomery has fallen off... He would be our Benson... Still has value in my opinion.

I can see this working out for the Royals... But I can see this really working out for the Rays. Maybe it's a deal that ends up being good for both clubs.

#21 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

I wonder if KC knows (or thinks it knows) something about Myers that makes them think he won't be good at the next level? Seems strange to move a guy who has been dominating the minors and someone you've been feeding to your fan base as part of your rebuilding, even for Shields.

#22 joeboo_22

joeboo_22

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

I agree with the don't trade with the Rays, they haven't been on the losing end of a trade for a while.

While saying that, I wouldn't mind to have Terry Ryan make a phone call to the Rays about Willingham as they could use a big bat in their lineup. They could send a ready #3 starter and middle infielder and then a lower level B prospect.

At the same time I don't know if this deal is terrible for the Royals, they have to at least look like they are trying one of these years. You can't have the top farm system in baseball every year and expect the fans to think that is successful when you are below .500

#23 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

[quote name='Riverbrian'][quote name='greengoblinrulz'][quote name='Riverbrian']Wow... Thats quite the trade... The Royals just gave up 3 top 30 prospects. There used to be a time... When one top 30 prospect would fetch something Like Shields and Davis.

Still the trade could do great things for KC... Their rotation is better... Those young hitters should keep getting better... The Tigers better not be too cocky.[/QUOTE]
Sometimes its better to take the 'sure' thing[/QUOTE]

Don't know if I agree with you about the Johan Trade... but believe me... I agree about prospects not always panning out... But I also disagree about Shields and Davis being sure things as well. So in the end... A trade is a trade...

The thing that leaps to mind is... the Rays have done it again... They pgrabbed a haul from the Cubs for Garza and now the Royals.

I agree... Montgomery has fallen off... He would be our Benson... Still has value in my opinion.

I can see this working out for the Royals... But I can see this really working out for the Rays. Maybe it's a deal that ends up being good for both clubs.[/QUOTE]
I was also gonna compare Montgomery to our version of Benson.........there have also been cant miss hitting prospect in Jesus Montero, Dustin Ackley, Domnic Brown, KC's own Mostakas/Hosmer , Dee Gordon etc the past few years. KC has waited 25yrs for a winner & waiting another 5 yrs for Myers/Orodozzi etc woulda been agonizing. They still have OF prospects like Bubba Starling waiting.

#24 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

I might like it better if my GM hadn't already over-valued Ervin Santana and Jeremy Guthrie. If those guys are your number two and three arms, your rotation isn't very impressive.

I dont see KC overvalueing either, they did just overpay for them....something we're dying for TRyan to try ONCE. Both have been 200IP solid mid rotation starters often but getting Shields puts them back into their places.

#25 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:34 AM

The Royals are just a mess out there. Pretty surprised that they would do this.

#26 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

Great trade for both teams, and there is still a player to be named.

#27 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

I would like to give credit to KC for going for it, but I can't. They just grossly overpaid for a couple solid arms that will not likely be enough for them to contend for the playoffs. Credit the Rays for another great move, or as Keith Law puts it, "a heist".

#28 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:56 AM

Royals everyday lineup is filled with 6-7 young everyday starters who are stil ascending. They were in a situation were they could take the chance. Twins arent in the same situation with their everyday guys to do a similar deal (Sano/Gibson for ex).
Will Myers is the best spectacular prospect in KC since Mike Mostakas and before that Eric Hosmer and before that Alex Gordon....etc. While all 3 are good to above average.....eventually its worth the shot to add a veteran all star at a position that desparately needed it.
While trying to go for it....think people forget DET only won the division with 87wins....division is up for the taking

On Tampa's side...when you continually develop or acquire top notch young pitching....you can easily flip them for a nice ransom. Hopefully MN gets deep enough to be able to do that.

#29 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

Shields will be a 20 game winner, The Twins just plain suck, they won't spend the money.

#30 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

WOW. More people defending this trade than bashing it. I..don't know what to say. Shields is very good pitcher, but he doesn't turn a mediocre staff into a good one by himself. Even Royals fans hate this trade. Almost universally:
Royals and Rays OVER THE Brink (Updated) - Royals Review

If you guys want Terry Ryan to do something like this, you'll never be happy. Because Terry Ryan isn't a complete idiot.