Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

They Got Him!!!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

Rockies signed Jeff Manship yesterday to a minor league deal.

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,409 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

I was wondering which inconsequential signing would invoke Dave to creating one of these threads...

#3 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

C'mon, Dave just wanted to make the thread more fun.

#4 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

I was wondering which inconsequential signing would invoke Dave to creating one of these threads...

Pageviews baby, pageviews.

You should be thanking me when this thread alone buys you a new Mercedes.

#5 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,409 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Start clicking. I look forward to seeing the keys to that new Mercedes in 2064.

#6 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

Rockies signed RHP Jeff Manship to a minor league contract.
Manship was limited to 12 games with the Twins last season, but posted a 2.91 ERA in 80-plus innings at the Triple-A level. The deal is expected to include an invite to spring training. Nov 23 - 9:22 AM DON'T LOOK LIKE YESTERDAY TO ME!

#7 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

Rockies signed RHP Jeff Manship to a minor league contract.
Manship was limited to 12 games with the Twins last season, but posted a 2.91 ERA in 80-plus innings at the Triple-A level. The deal is expected to include an invite to spring training. Nov 23 - 9:22 AM DON'T LOOK LIKE YESTERDAY TO ME!

for some reason MLBtraderumors reported yesterday. Either way, there was never a thread and this is an important signing.

#8 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

[quote name='Brock Beauchamp'][quote name='SpiritofVodkaDave'][quote name='Brock Beauchamp']I was wondering which inconsequential signing would invoke Dave to creating one of these threads...[/QUOTE]

You should be thanking me when this thread alone buys you a new Mercedes.[/QUOTE]

Start clicking. I look forward to seeing the keys to that new Mercedes in 2064.[/QUOTE]

Unless you are using google adwords you are probably getting paid on a CPM basis most likely, clicking does nothing!

#9 strumdatjag

strumdatjag

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

Before we get too excited about May and Meyer: Remember that Jeff manship was once touted as having the "best curveball in the organization" and some upon hearing that started envisioning the second coming of Bert Blyleven. Wait till he hangs one out in the thin air of Denver or their triple A affiliate Colorado Springs (By the way - Go CC vs. Gophers tonight in hockey)

#10 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

So the scrubs on the 28th/29th (Did the Red Sox outsuck us?) best pitching team are good enough for the 30th best. I am so glad Manship is gone!! He was my least favorite last season.

#11 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

Before we get too excited about May and Meyer: Remember that Jeff manship was once touted as having the "best curveball in the organization" and some upon hearing that started envisioning the second coming of Bert Blyleven. Wait till he hangs one out in the thin air of Denver or their triple A affiliate Colorado Springs (By the way - Go CC vs. Gophers tonight in hockey)

You're right, it's far more fun to sit around nervously wondering whether Meyer or May will turn into Manship than get excited about them.

The only similarities between them is that they all have names that start with M.

#12 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

Another victory by the Boras Agency

#13 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

[quote name='Brock Beauchamp'][quote name='SpiritofVodkaDave'][quote name='Brock Beauchamp']I was wondering which inconsequential signing would invoke Dave to creating one of these threads...[/QUOTE]

You should be thanking me when this thread alone buys you a new Mercedes.[/QUOTE]

Start clicking. I look forward to seeing the keys to that new Mercedes in 2064.[/QUOTE]
You left a "2" off the front of "2064".

#14 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,409 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

Good point, except for the part where you forgot to mention that Manship was awful at every level of the minors.

#15 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

Good point, except for the part where you forgot to mention that Manship was awful at every level of the minors.

What was the highest he ever made it up the organizational rankings? Did he even crack the Twins top 20?

#16 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

While I expect at least one of May or Meyer to bust it should be pointed out that Manship barely broke 90mph. He made it to the majors because he had a great curveball but that will only take you so far.

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

Manship did/does have a very sharp curveball... but no one had him in the same category prospect-wise as May or Meyer or Gibson. And, I think he can still be a solid back-of-the-rotation starter, and he'll get a starting opportunity with the Rockies. He's a tremendous person, down-to-earth, so I'll never understand the dislike.

#18 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

Manship did/does have a very sharp curveball... but no one had him in the same category prospect-wise as May or Meyer or Gibson. And, I think he can still be a solid back-of-the-rotation starter, and he'll get a starting opportunity with the Rockies. He's a tremendous person, down-to-earth, so I'll never understand the dislike.

The dislike has nothing to do with him being a great guy or not, it has to do with him being a not so great pitcher. It's not personal.

#19 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

The Manship has sailed, fair winds and following seas.

#20 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

Good, do not have to worry about him pitching for the Twins.

#21 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

He signed a couple of weeks ago, actually. Don't you follow Seth at Twins Daily?
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#22 mikeee

mikeee

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

Just hit reload on it 1000 times.

#23 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

[QUOTE=Seth Stohs;69339And, I think he can still be a solid back-of-the-rotation starter, and he'll get a starting opportunity with the Rockies. He's a tremendous person, down-to-earth, so I'll never understand the dislike.[/QUOTE]
I honestly don't see him ever becoming a solid back of the rotation starter, he may stick around as a fringe bullpen guy and emergency starter but I would be downright shocked if he became anything more.

It says a TON about his potential as a starter that the Twins didn't even give him a shot last year for the most part as a starter, we trotted out every warm body we could find to start!

I get that you know him well, and I don't doubt he is a great person, and I honestly wish him the best of luck. I haven't heard anyone talk bad about him, but the fact remains everything he has done up until this point indicates he will absolutely not be a decent starting pitcher and at best is a fringe bullpen guy. It's nothing personal, its just reality. (sort of like how Revere is a great dude, but not a legit everyday player in the majors)

#24 snepp

snepp

Speediest Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

My favorite Manship moment was when he was drafted, I said something to the effect of "they're going to end up with the better of the Notre Dame pitchers."

Finest moment it was not.
"Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
- Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

#25 joeboo_22

joeboo_22

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

I never thought the Twins handled the guy well, they had him as a starter 100% of the time yet other then a couple of emergency starts he was a bullpen guy in the majors. Seemed like if thats what they thought he was they should have tried to convert him full-time. I thought he deserved a chance as much as anyone last year to start, he just never got it.

#26 glennhl

glennhl

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

I never thought the Twins handled the guy well, they had him as a starter 100% of the time yet other then a couple of emergency starts he was a bullpen guy in the majors. Seemed like if thats what they thought he was they should have tried to convert him full-time. I thought he deserved a chance as much as anyone last year to start, he just never got it.

I couldn't agree more. Someone in this thread said he never excelled at lower levels, but that is not true. He was an all star twice in the lower level minors. He also started the championship game in the Arizona Fall League and even though he didn't get the win, his team did win the championship. He made some good starts for the Twins back in 2009 & 2010 including winning that critical game at the end of the season. Then came the decision to make him a reliever and I'm convinced that was a mistake. I don't know why, could be mental (needing to know when you are starting) or physical (not warming up enough), but he never took to relieving even at the AAA level. 2011 was a waste due to injuries, but he still pitched 4 no-hit innings in that weird "four pitcher" no-hitter at the AAA level that year.

Yes, Jeff is a fine young man, extremely fan friendly and outgoing. But he is also one heck of a starting pitcher. People bad mouth him on this forum because he stunk as a reliever, but the Twins blew it not giving him a bunch of starts in September, now they will never know. I'm hoping he does well with the Rockies and the added benefit is that he will start some Spring Training games for them and since I live in Arizona, I will be there! I doubt that he will make the team out of spring training, but I'm hoping that he gets pulled up during the year as a starter.

Now the hardest part for me is finding a forum like this for the Rockies! Even though all forums are full of the "quick to criticize" fan who has never been in the "arena", there were also very informative, smart people like Seth Soths and John Bonnes. I will miss their insightful input. See you.