Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Terry Ryan to be on MLB Network sometime in the next 50 minutes.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

Fyi

#2 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Fyi

Is anyone planning on doing a little write up about what he talks about? Due to currently being overseas...this website is about all I have to keep up with the Twins.

#3 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

2 minutes

#4 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

[quote name='AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS'][quote name='SpiritofVodkaDave']Fyi[/QUOTE]

Is anyone planning on doing a little write up about what he talks about? Due to currently being overseas...this website is about all I have to keep up with the Twins.[/QUOTE]

I will summarize it.

#5 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

[quote name='SpiritofVodkaDave'][quote name='AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS'][quote name='SpiritofVodkaDave']Fyi[/QUOTE]

Is anyone planning on doing a little write up about what he talks about? Due to currently being overseas...this website is about all I have to keep up with the Twins.[/QUOTE]

I will summarize it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks alot Dave...much appreciated.

#6 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

-Revere to Phillies has been a long time in the works.
-"Desperate for pitching"
-Meyer is your prototypical front of the rotation type guy.
-May has great stuff
-Worley "we can at least put him right in the rotation at least that gives us him and Diamond, we still have a lot of work to do though
- We have three more CF we can plug in, offensively is the question.
- Still very active in pitching FA market. Mentioned they still like Hendriks, and hopefully Blackburn can bounce back.
- We aren't playing for 2015, we need to get going, we are going to try to compete in 2013.
-Thinks the bullpen is good enough as long as the SP doesn't let em down.
-"We need to find starters"
-"if would have to be a significant return if we trade Morneau"
-"We have been trying to sign pitching early this off-season!! Sometimes you can't give your money away"

#7 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

-Revere to Phillies has been a long time in the works.
-May has great stuff
-Worley "we can at least put him right in the rotation at least that gives us him and Diamond, we still have a lot of work to do though
- Still very active in pitching FA market. Mentioned they still like Hendriks, and hopefully Blackburn can bounce back.
- We aren't playing for 2015, we need to get going, we are going to try to compete in 2013.
-"if would have to be a significant return if we trade Morneau"

He also seemed to indicate he's more interested in adding to the ML roster than subtracting.

When asked about FA pitching: "We've tried! Sometimes you can't give your money away."

#8 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,393 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

and hopefully Blackburn can bounce back.

That line never gets old.

#9 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

[quote name='Brock Beauchamp'][quote name='SpiritofVodkaDave']and hopefully Blackburn can bounce back.[/QUOTE]

That line never gets old.[/QUOTE]

"Just like making a trade!"

#10 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

[quote name='USAFChief'][quote name='SpiritofVodkaDave']-Revere to Phillies has been a long time in the works.
-May has great stuff
-"if would have to be a significant return if we trade Morneau"[/QUOTE]

He also seemed to indicate he's more interested in adding to the ML roster than subtracting.

When asked about FA pitching: "We've tried! Sometimes you can't give your money away."[/QUOTE]

Glad to see I'm not the only one "half working" today!

#11 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,393 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

Glad to see I'm not the only one "half working" today!

I'm not even half-working. I'm on the second to last day of a contract over here and my day has consisted of sitting around, waiting for the client to send me revisions. They haven't sent me even one email today.

I did five minutes of work this morning. I've been here for going on eight hours now.

#12 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

Thanks guys!
I still have faith in Hendriks,
Ryan needs to get out of town with his Blackburn stuff,
he was quiet about the Revere and Phillies stuff, it was kind of shocking to see the trade.

#13 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

Ryan needs to get out of town with his Blackburn stuff,

You'd prefer he doesn't bounce back? Pretty weird.

#14 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

[quote name='CDog'][quote name='AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS']Ryan needs to get out of town with his Blackburn stuff,[/QUOTE]

You'd prefer he doesn't bounce back? Pretty weird.[/QUOTE]

I would prefer if he wasnt a twin. TOTAL BUM

#15 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

[quote name='AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS'][quote name='CDog'][quote name='AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS']Ryan needs to get out of town with his Blackburn stuff,[/QUOTE]

I would prefer if he wasnt a twin. TOTAL BUM[/QUOTE]

You realize that he is, though, right? And given that, you're saying...what now? That you prefer if he is unsuccessful in the future because you think he's been unsuccessful? Or...Yeah, still not getting it.

#16 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

I will raise my Hand and say that I without a doubt hope that Blackburn Bounces Back. I won't bet the house on Blackburn bouncing back...

But I really really hope that he bounces back and I personally believe that Terry Ryan also hopes that Blackburn bounces back and I think Terry Ryan is also not betting the house on Blackburn bouncing back.

I think it's part of the reason why he want to acquire more arms and mentioned a bunch of times during the segment that he needs arms.

I also think that "Blackburn Bouncing Back" would make a great title for a song.

#17 S.

S.

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

I'd honestly prefer he plays so bad that they can't even consider calling him up to pitch for the Twins again. I'm sure that sounds awful, but we already know what Blackburn has and it ain't good. I'd much rather have them trot out Deduno/DeVries/Walters/Hendriks/etc than Blackburn at this point.

Edit: Ok, that was probably a bit mean. If he could put up 2008/2009 type of numbers, he'd be fine for eating some innings. I dont see it happening though.

#18 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

[quote name='CDog'][quote name='AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS'][quote name='CDog'][quote name='AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS']Ryan needs to get out of town with his Blackburn stuff,[/QUOTE]

I would prefer if he wasnt a twin. TOTAL BUM[/QUOTE]

You realize that he is, though, right? And given that, you're saying...what now? That you prefer if he is unsuccessful in the future because you think he's been unsuccessful? Or...Yeah, still not getting it.[/QUOTE]

My point is I dont think Blackburn will bounce back and I hope he doesnt. If he has marginal success this year Gardy and Brass will think hes going to continue to improve and once again he will just implode. He is a terrible pitcher. I dont know how you can argue that he is a good pitcher. I dont care if he is on the Twins, he fricken sucks.

#19 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

There is a better chance that Sidney Ponson bounces back than Nick Blackburn as its been about as long for both since they were either effective.
Ryan does his organization a huge disservice every time he mentions Nick as a possibility for next yr. If he truy believes it, keep quiet till he earns it.

#20 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

[quote name='Brock Beauchamp'][quote name='SpiritofVodkaDave']and hopefully Blackburn can bounce back.[/QUOTE]

That line never gets old.[/QUOTE]

I disagree, yes it has!

#21 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

there is a better chance that sidney ponson bounces back than nick blackburn as its been about as long for both since they were either effective.
Ryan does his organization a huge disservice every time he mentions nick as a possibility for next yr. If he truy believes it, keep quiet till he earns it.

thank you someone who agrees!

#22 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

Hoping Blackburn "Bounces back" is definitely the "Wing and a Prayer" method to fixing the rotation. Nothing says success like a fly ball inducing sinker baller.

#23 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

Hoping Blackburn "Bounces back" is definitely the "Wing and a Prayer" method to fixing the rotation. Nothing says success like a fly ball inducing sinker baller.

Yeah... but... You are from Canada. You have a Bear, Loon, Elk and Beaver on your coins and you bring them down to the states and they get mixed in at the convenience store and they end up in my pocket and they don't work in our Soda Machine.

As for Blackburn... I think Terry was just trying to think of a name to say on television.

#24 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

[quote name='CDog'][quote name='AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS']Ryan needs to get out of town with his Blackburn stuff,[/QUOTE]

Cant speak for AhigMT, but personally I'd prefer the GM of my favorite MLB team not pretend that Nick Blackburn is any kind of realistic, or reasonable option for said team's rotation. Not unless tickets will be free at TF in 2013, anyway. To do so is an insult to my intelligence, and a tacit admission that his sunk cost is much more important than winning baseball games.

Which seems to me closer to what AhigMT was saying than your response. Not weird, that.

#25 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

Your ****ting me right. He pulls off two huge trades we have all been asking for and in an interview he says one thing about a guy...and we fly off the handle. Who doesnt hope he can come back and be respectable...he is still a good guy. You talk as if he had a homophobic slur written on his eyeblack. All he has ever done is try to find his sinker...and usually give up meatballs. Give the guy a break. So what if he does good and then flops...better than paying him 5 mil to pitch at rochester every 5 days

#26 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

Is this the interview Mackey is referring to, where he said you can't have 50% of your payroll in 4 players? If so, and your budget is $95 (hahahaha), and Mauer gets $23, that means your next three cannot make more than $24MM combined. That does not sound like a good plan for the future....

http://www.1500espn...._GMs_eyes120512
Lighten up Francis....

#27 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,899 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

If what Ryan said is true (and I'm going from implication here) and they can't "give their money away" - we may not be talking about much in the way of FA signings. The team's awful play may really be dooming their ability to sign FAs. Or I guess that's how I read it.

I suppose that could just be cover for the team not wanting to shell out the big bucks when negotiations get competitive.

#28 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

I think he is still trade able the high price of pitching. he is still young, you never know about a pitcher a new year a out instead of a error, new help with a pitch, a new team, coach, it's a mental retardation.

#29 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

Your ****ting me right. He pulls off two huge trades we have all been asking for and in an interview he says one thing about a guy...and we fly off the handle. Who doesnt hope he can come back and be respectable...he is still a good guy. You talk as if he had a homophobic slur written on his eyeblack. All he has ever done is try to find his sinker...and usually give up meatballs. Give the guy a break. So what if he does good and then flops...better than paying him 5 mil to pitch at rochester every 5 days

Due to the fact you never make a valid argument and cite WIKIPEDIA, I really dont care about anything you have to say. I would rather pay him 10 millions dollars to never pitch for us again rather than give him 5 million to throw sinkers that dont induce any groundballs.

#30 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

I for one am not s**tting you, Blackburn sucks balls (figuratively , not a homophobic slur).

The mere fact we would have to hope he comes back to be respectable, would be proof enough that we're f***ed!