Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Red Sox sign David Ross

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

With David Ross going to the Red Sox on a two-year deal, it means Saltalamacchia might become expendable. The Red Sox have also continued to be actively shopping Jon Lester (now rumored to KC for Will Myers, still think the Twins couldn't have gotten more for Span?).

Bottom line, Is "it" still on the table? Is the way being paved for the Twins to be led down the primrose path to pull the trigger on a mega-deal during the Winter Meetings?

#2 TwinsFanInPhilly

TwinsFanInPhilly

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

With David Ross going to the Red Sox on a two-year deal, it means Saltalamacchia might become expendable. The Red Sox have also continued to be actively shopping Jon Lester (now rumored to KC for Will Myers, still think the Twins couldn't have gotten more for Span?).

Bottom line, Is "it" still on the table? Is the way being paved for the Twins to be led down the primrose path to pull the trigger on a mega-deal during the Winter Meetings?

So some rumor is evidence now?

#3 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

The majority of opinions: the Myers/Lester rumor is bogus media speculation, identical to jokin's speculation that the Twins could have done better than the Alex Meyer return for Span. A return, by the way, that a vast majority of writers and fans think is fair, the exception being Cameron, and of course jokin.

#4 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

I believe that Terry Ryan took what he felt was the best deal for Span. I don't believe that he settled for what he felt was the 3rd best offer.

If the Twins could have gotten more for Span... I believe that he would have gotten more for Span and the actual trade made would reflect that.

#5 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 963 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

Ross signed with the Red Sox about 3 weeks ago as the back up to Salty, reportedly because he was told he would start multiple times per week as a back up, something the Braves couldn't guarantee.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,376 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

I believe that Terry Ryan took what he felt was the best deal for Span. I don't believe that he settled for what he felt was the 3rd best offer.

If the Twins could have gotten more for Span... I believe that he would have gotten more for Span and the actual trade made would reflect that.

You don't shop a guy for a year straight and then take a "meh" offer. I'm confident in saying that was the best deal on the table and I don't think it's a coincidence that it happened in the wake of the Upton signing. I think Ryan had been pushing for Myers and the Nationals were hesitant until they saw a divisional rival pick up the best centerfielder on the free agency market.

If Ryan had received better offers, I think we would have seen Span moved last July. After all, every report surrounding Span seemed to mention "the asking price is high". Ryan ended up getting a good return on the guy so it's not as if he threw up his hands and took whatever was offered.

#7 luke829

luke829

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

You don't shop a guy for a year straight and then take a "meh" offer. I'm confident in saying that was the best deal on the table and I don't think it's a coincidence that it happened in the wake of the Upton signing. I think Ryan had been pushing for Myers and the Nationals were hesitant until they saw a divisional rival pick up the best centerfielder on the free agency market.

If Ryan had received better offers, I think we would have seen Span moved last July. After all, every report surrounding Span seemed to mention "the asking price is high". Ryan ended up getting a good return on the guy so it's not as if he threw up his hands and took whatever was offered.

Unlike a certain someone
Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

#8 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

The majority of opinions: the Myers/Lester rumor is bogus media speculation, identical to jokin's speculation that the Twins could have done better than the Alex Meyer return for Span. A return, by the way, that a vast majority of writers and fans think is fair, the exception being Cameron, and of course jokin.

The Red Sox have clearly been shopping Lester since the trading deadline in July, that clearly isn't bogus media speculation.

Which would have been the better deal for Span? Meyer or Lester? Obviously, too soon to tell on the back-end. Clearly, Meyer has a chance to become a Verlander or Randy Johnson, I hope to God it happens, even with Boras as his agent a long way down the road. His spotty college record and poor mechanics- who many scouts say still has a possible end-result projection as a relief set up/closer, means he also has a chance to go down in flames like David Clyde or Mark Prior.

As others have stated, I'm just surprised this wasn't a multi-player deal given the vast and as-yet, unaddressed needs and gaping holes all up-and-down the franchise's depth chart.

That is why I brought this topic up. Is there still the possibility of multi-player deal with the Red Sox in the works, or not?

#9 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

Why is this thread on the Twins board?

Shouldn't mediocre catcher signs with club fall under the general baseball thread?

#10 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 963 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Shouldn't mediocre catcher signs with club fall under the general baseball thread?

Reading comprehension - it's FUNdamental!

#11 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 963 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

That is why I brought this topic up. Is there still the possibility of multi-player deal with the Red Sox in the works, or not?

If there is, it'd involve Salty, so Ross really doesn't change that. That said, it'd be incredibly surprising for them to make that move after just dumping the long-term deals that they did.

#12 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

David Ross is a backup (a great backup) so I don't understand why the starting catcher would be available.

#13 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:17 AM

David Ross is a backup (a great backup) so I don't understand why the starting catcher would be available.

1) They appear to be of the opinion that Lavarnway, with really good minor league numbers, is ready to become the regular catcher.

2) Ross signed on the basis of getting more starts at catcher.

3) The Red Sox have another top ten minor league catcher knocking at the door.

4) The Red Sox are pretty much making over their entire roster and have been shopping Salty.

I) I wouldn't mind one bit seeing a cheap, young, multi-positional, switch-hitting, little wear on the tread, power-hitting catcher on the Twins roster, IF he can be just one part of a King's Ransom return from the Red Sox in a mega-trade. (Bogaerts would have to be included with a SP).

Edited by jokin, 02 December 2012 - 03:28 AM.

#14 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:18 AM

Reading comprehension - it's FUNdamental!

Reading the entire post usually yields the information you're looking for.

#15 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:23 AM

If there is, it'd involve Salty, so Ross really doesn't change that. That said, it'd be incredibly surprising for them to make that move after just dumping the long-term deals that they did.

The Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, et al, don't rebuild from the ground up. I would be surprised if Boston's 2013 payroll doesn't quickly jump up here during the FA sweeps/ trading season, and then in 2014, quickly returns to historical averages.

#16 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

1) They appear to be of the opinion that Lavarnway, with really good minor league numbers, is ready to become the regular catcher.

4) The Red Sox are pretty much making over their entire roster and have been shopping Salty.

Lavarnway is more of a DH than a catcher.

Are there really any Salty rumors or is just people speculating since the Sox signed Ross?

#17 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

[quote name='jokin'][quote name='biggentleben'][quote name='jokin']That is why I brought this topic up. Is there still the possibility of multi-player deal with the Red Sox in the works, or not?[/QUOTE]

If there is, it'd involve Salty, so Ross really doesn't change that. That said, it'd be incredibly surprising for them to make that move after just dumping the long-term deals that they did.[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, et al, don't rebuild from the ground up. I would be surprised if Boston's 2013 payroll doesn't quickly jump up here during the FA sweeps/ trading season, and then in 2014, quickly returns to historical averages.[/QUOTE]

Boston has had a three year slide. What they need to rebuild is almost as much as the Twins. Elsbury and Bucholtz are about their only young stars.

#18 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 963 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

The Red Sox made statements when announcing Ross's signing that he would be the RH answer to Salty. They were very underwhelmed by Lavernway during the season, and every report on him that I've seen this offseason has said he's going to be in AAA working on some things this year.

#19 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

all this makes me wonder why it is exactly that they were enquiring about Mauer...