Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

So where does Meyer rank?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

I think we have four guys - Sano, Buxton, Hicks and Arcia - who will all certainly be top 100 prospects in baseball america's next listing. Gibson, Rosario and Meyer have a chance. Our top ten then is

Sano
Buxton
Hicks
Arcia
Meyer
Rosario
Gibson
Berrios
Kepler
Harrison?

That's pretty nice depth.

#2 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

I think your rankings look about right.
The system just got a lot more interesting and the number 4 pick in June won't hurt either.

#3 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

Arcia
Sano
Hicks
Meyer
Rosario
Buxton

#4 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Given the value and impact of starting pitching, Meyer is probably number 3 behind Sano and Buxton.

#5 freshinthehouse

freshinthehouse

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

Some of the old BYTO minor league savants (Jewscott, Killebrew, etc) need to stop in and give their 2 cents.
BYTO R.I.P.

#6 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

Meyer is #50 on MLB's top 100 before the trade

#7 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

Meyer is #50 on MLB's top 100 before the trade

Sickels has Meyer at #74, midseason.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,088 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

I put in another forum what my rankings would probably currently be:

1.) Sano, 2.) Buxton, 3.) Arcia, 4.) Meyer, 5.) Hicks, 6.)Rosario, 7.) Gibson, 8.) Berrios, 9.) Kepler, 10.) Harrison?

#9 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

#8, but with more upside than many ahead of him.

#10 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

Six for sure in most top 100s and 7 in a few that are willing to include Gibson. I'd say we have a top 10 farm system, but the Twins could still use more pitching obviously.

#11 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

So far it appears that everyone agrees that Meyer is the Twins new #1 pitching prospect.

#12 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

#8, but with more upside than many ahead of him.

8? Really?

So you're not giving him credit for his upside, which is immense. And you're not giving him credit for his performance, which has been excellent. And you're not looking at his projectibility as a 6-foot-9 22-year-old who throws in the high 90s.

What exactly are you looking at that has you ranking him that low?

#13 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:08 AM

1. Sano
2. Hicks
3. Arcia
4. Meyer
5. Rosario
6. Buxton
7. Berrios
8. Kepler
9. Gibson
10. Herrmann
11. Harrison
12. Roberts

#14 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:44 AM

[quote name='Nick Nelson'][quote name='John Bonnes']#8, but with more upside than many ahead of him.[/QUOTE]

8? Really?

So you're not giving him credit for his upside, which is immense. And you're not giving him credit for his performance, which has been excellent. And you're not looking at his projectibility as a 6-foot-9 22-year-old who throws in the high 90s.

What exactly are you looking at that has you ranking him that low?[/QUOTE]

I think I like the trade more than John, but I don't think ranking him #8 is terrible. He does have tremendous upside, but he's a tall guy with occasional mechanical issues. There is a lot of risk there. You have to consider that when you do rankings.

#15 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

I think I like Gibson more than most. I'm not against Rosario but I really like the prospects ahead of him. I could easily understand an argument for Meyer between #3 and #7. I don't really understand #8 since Berrios and Kepler have far more question marks and have proven less than Meyer. What is even more exciting is that the Twins will probably land a college pitcher with the #4 in next year's draft and that pitcher will probably rank #3 on this list although Hicks, Arcia and Gibson should hopefully graduate.

1. Sano
2. buxton

3. Hicks
4. Arcia
5. Meyer

6. Gibson
7. Rosario

8. Berrios
9 Kepler

a completely different tier below here

#16 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

I think I like Gibson more than most. I'm not against Rosario but I really like the prospects ahead of him. I could easily understand an argument for Meyer between #3 and #7. I don't really understand #8 since Berrios and Kepler have far more question marks and have proven less than Meyer. What is even more exciting is that the Twins will probably land a college pitcher with the #4 in next year's draft and that pitcher will probably rank #3 on this list although Hicks, Arcia and Gibson should hopefully graduate.

1. Sano
2. buxton

3. Hicks
4. Arcia
5. Meyer

6. Gibson
7. Rosario

8. Berrios
9 Kepler

a completely different tier below here

I was thinking about next year's #4 pick, too. There are 3 legit pitchers so one could easily slide to us. A future rotation of Gibson, Meyer and (say) Appel anchoring the front could be really exciting.

#17 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

So far it appears that everyone agrees that Meyer is the Twins new #1 pitching prospect.

That is where I'd have issue. Unless you're okay with a guy who is still about a 50/50 bet to be a bullpen guy ranking above a sure starter. I'd still have Gibson over Meyer any day of the week, and twice on Sunday - and I own Meyer in a dynasty league, so I'm well aware of his talents.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#18 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

[quote name='Nick Nelson'][quote name='John Bonnes']#8, but with more upside than many ahead of him.[/QUOTE]

8? Really?

What exactly are you looking at that has you ranking him that low?[/QUOTE]

Nick, he's also still getting a lot of scouting reports expecting his major league future to be in the bullpen because of the wear of his mechanics over a major league season as a starter on his body and his arm. I think I'd have him about 6-7, but not above Gibson for sure.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#19 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

Some of the old BYTO minor league savants (Jewscott, Killebrew, etc) need to stop in and give their 2 cents.

IMO, there are probably a half-dozen guys you could make a case for being the #2 prospect in the system (behind Sano), and Meyer is one of them. So I don't really have a problem with anyone placing him anywhere between second and seventh. He's definitely the pitching prospect the organization needs--the type who guys like Verve can put in their spank bank and fantasize about a true ace in 2017. You've got to love the size, the fastball and the breaking pitch. But like most 6'9" pitchers he has problems with his mechanics and fixing those hasn't exactly been the Twins' strong suit in the last decade. Sickels has him as a B+ prospect, which is what Arcia and Buxton are and is a stone's throw away from Hicks, Gibson, Rosario and Berrios who are Bs.

If you take the three pitchers in that group and set a bar, I'd guess Meyer is the most likely of the three to post a 150+ ERA+ season in the next decade. If you lowered the ERA+ to 125, I'd probably pick Berrios over the other two. If you lowered it to a league average 100, I'd take Gibson over the other two. Hitter wise, you could set the same bar with OPS+ and Buxton, Arcia and Hicks/Rosario. The question becomes do you play it safe, go for the gold or take a mixture of the two?

With that said, the farm system is definitely getting better.

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

You got Verve pegged well.

#21 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

You got Verve pegged well.

I've pegged Verve well before too.... not as great as advertised.

Edited by Badsmerf, 04 December 2012 - 06:37 AM.

Do or do not. There is no try.

#22 joeboo_22

joeboo_22

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

I'd put him 3, behind Sano and Buxton. The reason being is he is a pitcher with #1 stuff and I rank pitching slightly above position players. My guess is he will have the 3rd highest ranking maybe 4th in most top 100 list when it comes to Twins related prospects. I like Hicks and Arcia I just don't know where they'll be ranked in most top 100 list because they have been around a while, and many list are heavy with players in the past 2-3 years.

#23 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

Updating this for the May trade. He has upside like Meyer (a little less) but far more question marks so I rank him in the Berrios/Kepler tier giving the Twins an awesome top ten. I'm not sure if Willingham or Morneau will also get traded this offseason but this system is becoming great.

1. Sano
2. buxton

3. Hicks
4. Arcia
5. Meyer

6. Gibson
7. Rosario

8. May
9. Berrios
10. Kepler