Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Wil Myers V Chris Parmelee

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 mk

mk

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

MLB Trade Rumors writes that the Royals are dangling Wil Myers to try and aquire James Shields or Jon Lester. Could using Parmelee generate the same sort of interest? Literally they're in the same league/ballpark, but maybe not figuratively when it comes to trade value.

Parmelee is 3 yrs older than Myers, but Parmelee's 2012 numbers at AAA are superior. What if the Twins threw in a CF prospect not named Buxton or Hicks?

#2 The Greatest Poster Alive

The Greatest Poster Alive

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

Myers is one of the best prospects in a loaded KC system... Chris Parmalee is a mediocre first baseman that wouldn't start for more than a handful of teams.

#3 snepp

snepp

Speediest Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:20 AM

They're both white, they've got that in common.
"Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
- Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

#4 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

Wow.

#5 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

Parm had a great year in AAA. Myers was better in Fayetteville and Omaha. Does the difference matter... I don't know. I'd assume it does. The 3 years difference in age would be huge in my opinion.

Personally... I think the Twins would move Parmelee for the right offer and they will be happy to keep him for the wrong offer.

Perceptually Parm and Myers seem to be in different places. I don't know if Parmelee will be enough to bring Lester or Shields into the conversation. If you have to add an OFer to the package. Who becomes the primary? Parmelee or Arcia? Parmelee or Benson?

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,921 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

Myers was Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year this year (admittedly much of it spent in the PCL). He's a top 10 prospect in baseball...Parmelee has never been anywhere near that class of prospect. Doesn't mean he can't be solid in the big leagues, but there's no questioning that Myers could bring back much, much more.

#7 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

Wil Myers is closer to Bryce Harper than Chris Parmelee.

#8 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

Chris Parmelee is a first baseman who doesn't have 40 hr/yr ability. Wil "one L" Myers may be able to stick in the outfield and has legit plus Raw and Plus Plus bat...no contests. (Yes I have been reading a lot of baseball prospectus and yes I now talk like a scout in my posts).

#9 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

Wow x 2.
This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

#10 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

That is why I would send Span and Parmalee for Shields(in a heartbeat). Span is cost controled I believe for 3 more years and is a sure thing. No prospect is a sure thing(though Myers is close).

#11 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

MLB Trade Rumors writes that the Royals are dangling Wil Myers to try and aquire James Shields or Jon Lester. Could using Parmelee generate the same sort of interest? Literally they're in the same league/ballpark, but maybe not figuratively when it comes to trade value.

Parmelee is 3 yrs older than Myers, but Parmelee's 2012 numbers at AAA are superior. What if the Twins threw in a CF prospect not named Buxton or Hicks?

For a minute there I thought you were serious, but then I realized this MUST be a some excellent sarcasm.

It is, right?

#12 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

I miss BYTO.

#13 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

I miss BYTO.

+1,000,000

Downs'd
Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

#14 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

[quote name='USAFChief'][quote name='mk']MLB Trade Rumors writes that the Royals are dangling Wil Myers to try and aquire James Shields or Jon Lester. Could using Parmelee generate the same sort of interest? Literally they're in the same league/ballpark, but maybe not figuratively when it comes to trade value.

Parmelee is 3 yrs older than Myers, but Parmelee's 2012 numbers at AAA are superior. What if the Twins threw in a CF prospect not named Buxton or Hicks?[/QUOTE]

For a minute there I thought you were serious, but then I realized this MUST be a some excellent sarcasm.

It is, right?[/QUOTE]

I sure hope so..........nobody can be this dumb........Parmelee and Wil Myers in the same category...get outta town.

#15 rnw24

rnw24

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

I miss BYTO.

absolutely!! i can't believe that comparison was just made.
formerly known as torii_hunter_mvp on byto.

#16 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

Jeeze! You guys are so mean! We should champion all voices, and promote the posting of threads like these. Furthermore, it's far too much to demand that people utilize google (or some similarly esoteric search engine) to find out more about prospects.

Edited by PseudoSABR, 27 November 2012 - 03:23 PM.

#17 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

MLB Trade Rumors writes that the Royals are dangling Wil Myers to try and aquire James Shields or Jon Lester. Could using Parmelee generate the same sort of interest?

'Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read your post'....

The absurdity of comparing fellow...what, bipeds, I guess?... Wil Myers and Chris Parmalee aside, I think the league should seriously consider contracting the Royals if they give up a top 10 prospect for a pitcher is about to 1) turn 29, 2) cost $11 million, and 3) try to bounce back from his worst season (4.82 ERA) and two straight years of increasing ERA, xFIP, etc, and declining strikeout rate.

#18 mk

mk

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

Sheesh, you people are mean.

I guess I was way off to think for even a second that a 24 year old with a 1.102 OPS at AAA and some time in the majors had any sort of value. And to be sooo ridiculous to actually put him in the same sentence as Wil Myers and his .932 OPS in the historically hitter-friendly PCL is plain outrageous. Yes, Babe Myers did hit 7 more home runs during his time at AAA, in 106 more at bats (thanks for the tip to use google, that came in really handy to find that out).

Yes Wil Myers is an extremely highly regarded prospect, higher than Parmelee, I acknowledge that. But is it so fantastical to think that had the Twins not rushed Parmelee to the majors to sit on the bench at the beginning of 2012, and kept his prospect status, that he might be mentioned in the same Twins Daily message board Forum thread?

And another thing. I believe I also mentioned that the Twins would have to throw in an outfielder as well to possibly be mentioned. I don't know if that's enough, maybe not, but the Rays and Red Sox both need a first baseman and an outfielder. It seems that some of the threads I've read on this site suggest that the Twins have depth in those two positions. But, I'm probably wrong about that too.

#19 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

I guess I was way off to think for even a second that a 24 year old with a 1.102 OPS at AAA and some time in the majors had any sort of value. And to be sooo ridiculous to actually put him in the same sentence as Wil Myers and his .932 OPS in the historically hitter-friendly PCL is plain outrageous. Yes, Babe Myers did hit 7 more home runs during his time at AAA, in 106 more at bats (thanks for the tip to use google, that came in really handy to find that out).

Yes Wil Myers is an extremely highly regarded prospect, higher than Parmelee, I acknowledge that. But is it so fantastical to think that had the Twins not rushed Parmelee to the majors to sit on the bench at the beginning of 2012, and kept his prospect status, that he might be mentioned in the same Twins Daily message board Forum thread?

And another thing. I believe I also mentioned that the Twins would have to throw in an outfielder as well to possibly be mentioned. I don't know if that's enough, maybe not, but the Rays and Red Sox both need a first baseman and an outfielder. It seems that some of the threads I've read on this site suggest that the Twins have depth in those two positions. But, I'm probably wrong about that too.

Um, they rushed Parmelee? 6 years in the minors for the #20 pick in the 2006 draft?

#20 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

I do agree, some of the responses were less than kind....

#21 The Greatest Poster Alive

The Greatest Poster Alive

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

I do agree, some of the responses were less than kind....

the problem with today's society is that it's considered impolite to tell an idiot he's an idiot.

#22 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

I am one of the harshest critics of non-performance in my workplace, and have no issue pointing out here and other places in life where people are just flat out filled with stupid ideas, but there are polite ways to talk to people, and impolite ways. YMMV, of course.
Lighten up Francis....

#23 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

[quote name='The Greatest Poster Alive'][quote name='mike wants wins']I do agree, some of the responses were less than kind....[/QUOTE]

the problem with today's society is that it's considered impolite to tell an idiot he's an idiot.[/QUOTE]

Exactly right my friend.

#24 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

[quote name='ThePuck'][quote name='mk']Sheesh, you people are mean.

[/QUOTE]

Um, they rushed Parmelee? 6 years in the minors for the #20 pick in the 2006 draft?[/QUOTE]

Exactly this is Parmelee's last year to prove he can be an everyday MLB player. If he doesnt prove he can play he will be worth ass much as Clement who we just signed. Im a big Parmelee fan however, so im hoping he can prove he can be a solid Major League Player.

#25 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,891 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

Well at least all that bravado early about not allowing any belittling to happen has gone out the window. We have the brilliant rationality of your average offseason speculation for putting that to the test!

#26 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

Oh, c'mon, I'm the only really mean one, and I at least feel bad about it.

That being said, here are three reasons Myers and Parmalee aren't comps. First, Parmalee is almost four years older. That's like 28 years of difference in either dog or prospect years. Second, Parmalee has only excelled over a whole season while being young for his league one time. Myers has done it all but one, and in that season (AA at age 20) he wasn't overmatched. Third, Parmalee's best shot at having anything like comparable defensive value to Myers is to hope that Myers loses a foot after being struck by a meteorite.

But hey, it's baseball, and Parmalee could end up playing playing in All Star games that Wil Myers tries not to watch on the big screen TV while tending bar in his late 20's. Seems unlikely, though.